• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cold Weather: Puffy Vs Sanctuary/Incinerator

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
I have got to upgrade my cold weather gear. What I am considering is something like the Stone Glacier Grumman puffy pants and jacket vs the cold weather outer wear like The firstlite Sanctuary Or Sitka Incinerator sets.

I have plenty of good outer shells and think I could get more use out of a puffy set but am not sure if it would get me the same, better, or worse cold weather protection. The puffy would be part of my layering system with a different outer shell as needed.

Does anyone have experience with the puffy setups? Any input is appreciated.

I don't have experience with the puffy setups but I'll share my experiences which can hopefully help a little. My original setup was the cabelas stand hunter extreme coverals with layering underneath. I loved them. Depending on layering I was sitting down to 0 with them. The downside is they're really bulky. So a couple years ago I got the sitka fanatic bib and jacket. It's definitely lighter and pretty warm. Not as warm as I had read reviews about, but I get colder easier so that could just be me. With layering I'm good down to around 20 for an all day type sit. Last year I purchased the incinerator for the next step down in temps. It is even lighter and it keeps me warm. I was hunting mobile in the single digits and low teens last winter. My layering system was my merino wool base layer and my regular early season scentlok for walking in. At the tree I'd put on my sitka kelvin puffy, a battery powered vest I bought on amazon, and then the incinerator. LL bean pac boots with merino wool socks and foot/toe warmers.

I am using an OR transcendent puffy as a mid layer when it is going to be below 32. I have looked at the stone glacier pants and a few other puffy pant choices but havent bought anything yet. Still just run a good base layer and fleece lined jeans under my camo outer. Would like to go to down puffy pants for the weight savings as much as the warmth but man they are proud of them.

Haha @redsquirrel I wore the fanatic bibs under the stand hunter extreme coveralls in Missouri. It was about 12-13 with a 20mph steady wind. I was warm for about 2 hours, then a slight chill the last hour, then stuck that deer.

I wonder if the fanatic bibs even did anything under the stand hunter.

I can layer with the fanatic bibs and various tops and get to 20 no problem.

Do you think the incinerator is worth it after a year of use?

Haha @redsquirrel I wore the fanatic bibs under the stand hunter extreme coveralls in Missouri. It was about 12-13 with a 20mph steady wind. I was warm for about 2 hours, then a slight chill the last hour, then stuck that deer.

I wonder if the fanatic bibs even did anything under the stand hunter.

I can layer with the fanatic bibs and various tops and get to 20 no problem.

Do you think the incinerator is worth it after a year of use?
I'm sure the fanatic helped.

Yes, I do think it was worth it. I didn't have it until after xmas and I probably hunted about 10 times in that setup. I can report back with more info at the end of the season if you want. But I felt like it was worth it for going lightweight and warm. I would pack my vest and kelvin puffy in my pack, then strap the incinerator to the back. It's also not a super bulky setup which is great for bowhunting late season. I was hiking in carrying my steps, dressing at the tree, setting up the tree with the stepps and hunting. I was pretty happy to have system I could do that in late season. EVERYTHING get's so much harder in late season.

I have several down layers I wear depending on the weather. I'ts hard to beat for warmth in my opinion. One is a real heavy bomber style jacket(cabelas maybe?) I wear only when its below 10 degrees. I sweat just looking at the thing its so warm(and not overly bulky). THe other is a patagonia 800fill hooded micropuff down that I throw in my pack and layer underneath either my browning(or Rocky?) silent gore, or columbia camo wool if I get cold. The great thing about down(assuming we're talking real down here, not synthetic) is it packs spectacular and is light.

I';m good in the heavy down and insulated overalls, insulated rubber boots for hours below 0.

I have several down layers I wear depending on the weather. I'ts hard to beat for warmth in my opinion. One is a real heavy bomber style jacket(cabelas maybe?) I wear only when its below 10 degrees. I sweat just looking at the thing its so warm(and not overly bulky). THe other is a patagonia 800fill hooded micropuff down that I throw in my pack and layer underneath either my browning(or Rocky?) silent gore, or columbia camo wool if I get cold. The great thing about down(assuming we're talking real down here, not synthetic) is it packs spectacular and is light.

I';m good in the heavy down and insulated overalls, insulated rubber boots for hours below 0.
What boots do you use when it's that cold?

What boots do you use when it's that cold?
Lacrosse Iceman. They rock.

Sorry, didn't mean to say insulated rubber boots for below 0, meant to just say insulated boots. I do have insulated rubber boots, but they're only good till sinlge digits, they're cheap ithasca swampwalker 2400g(thinsulate) rubber boots. Warm, but heavy.

Last edited:
I went to the Sitka Incinerator set this year and I’ll never use anything else.

Not sure what cold is for you but so far this year I’ve hunted several mornings around 20 degrees. For my top I just wore a dry fit long sleeve, a black puffy vest(old navy, nothing crazy) and my NatGear parka. Plenty warm. the expensive brands make great gear but maybe experiment with cheaper stuff first.
I think I paid $15 for my Old Navy vest and it’s my main layering item

That natgear windproof fleece is the real deal and cheap by current camo standards. A little on the heavy side but really good gear. Not a fan of the early season stuff though.

Oh I caught that OR puffy on the classifieds on another board for $80

Not sure what cold is for you but so far this year I’ve hunted several mornings around 20 degrees. For my top I just wore a dry fit long sleeve, a black puffy vest(old navy, nothing crazy) and my NatGear parka. Plenty warm. the expensive brands make great gear but maybe experiment with cheaper stuff first.
I think I paid $15 for my Old Navy vest and it’s my main layering item

I guess I should explain. I hunt North East Wisconsin. I have been hunting lately with merino base, fleece mid, and soft shell outer. I can get to mid 20’s if I add a 800fil down vest but my legs get cold. if it gets colder than that I have to wear carhardt bibs and a different jacket that is tough to shoot in.

I was hoping the puffy could work so that I could also use it on my western hunts.

How noisy is the sitka incinerator set? I’m looking into this one and noise and ability to shoot with it is my main concern. I’ve hunted several all Day sits this year already in the negatives during the first few hours of the day.

I think you can probably get away with a thicker puffy jacket, my concern is noise. I have one for hunting out west, and I think I may get a cheapo fleece jacket, oversized to contain the puffy noise.

Get a puffy. They're great, you've got a good layer system. Mine is dead quiet. Soft gore of sorts on outside.
2019-11-22 18.20.54.jpg

I have two first lite down pieces. one light weight and one a med weight with hood. I wear those on just about every single hunt. I have a browning puffy (hells canyon I think) that I keep in my pack. I have the fanatic jacket. with those four items, I rarely ever get cold and I hunt michigan thru december. I really like the puffy and wear it all the time in spring and fall to kids sporting events and other outdoor activities.

How noisy is the sitka incinerator set? I’m looking into this one and noise and ability to shoot with it is my main concern. I’ve hunted several all Day sits this year already in the negatives during the first few hours of the day.

Plenty quiet, more so than most puffy’s I’ve personally tried. I’m in Michigan and we had several morning in a row with single digit temps and windchills below zero smack dab in the middle of the rut this year. Those mornings I wore WoolX merino base layers, and a thick fleece mid layer underneath the incinerator set and added a few stick on Grabber body warmers. Only my legs got a little chilled so for those extreme temps below 10deg I’d probably swap out the fleece mid layer for my puff pants from Rab on my lower section.

I had read some reviews that said it was noisy but I don't think it is.

Back