• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Common problem with any folding platform or stand

kyler1945

SH Member
Ok, the packability issue that all stands and platforms have in common seems to be that the batwing that is sharp and metal, kills the flat packing nature of the folding style.

I understand that there are lots of costs and benefits to every different shape size and brand platform. I have less than zero interest in hashing that out here. Plenty of threads to shout your team name! Do it if you must.

what is rather do is focus the smart people, dumb people, creative people, boring people, mechanically inclined, and those that couldn’t visualize the backside of their own hand - and focus all of them on the singular issue.

I’ve come up with two ways of resolving the issue:

- remove the batwing for packing, and use a wingnut or knob to fasten at base of tree.

- make the top of the seat post removable down to just below the batwing. Then use an internal post to join the two sections together at base of tree with wingnut or knob.

Both of these concepts present the upside of not having a batwing on the package, one of them removes the seat as well. And I think their downsides seem pretty obvious.

Let’s see if we can minimize the downsides (fiddle, noise, time). Or better yet, someone come up with a stupid simple way to make the batwing being where it is a non issue.

Im well aware of how minor this issue is for probably 95% of people. But for folks who pack it all in and out in one trip, it can be a challenge. Plus if there was a simple solution to the issue, many more folks in that 95% would adopt it because it’s just better sometimes.

let’s hear your thoughts.

Ok, the packability issue that all stands and platforms have in common seems to be that the batwing that is sharp and metal, kills the flat packing nature of the folding style.

I understand that there are lots of costs and benefits to every different shape size and brand platform. I have less than zero interest in hashing that out here. Plenty of threads to shout your team name! Do it if you must.

what is rather do is focus the smart people, dumb people, creative people, boring people, mechanically inclined, and those that couldn’t visualize the backside of their own hand - and focus all of them on the singular issue.

- remove the batwing for packing, and use a wingnut or knob to fasten at base of tree.

- make the top of the seat post removable down to just below the batwing. Then use an internal post to join the two sections together at base of tree with wingnut or knob.

Both of these concepts present the upside of not having a batwing on the package, one of them removes the seat as well. And I think their downsides seem pretty obvious.

Let’s see if we can minimize the downsides (fiddle, noise, time). Or better yet, someone come up with a stupid simple way to make the batwing being where it is a non issue.

Im well aware of how minor this issue is for probably 95% of people. But for folks who pack it all in and out in one trip, it can be a challenge. Plus if there was a simple solution to the issue, many more folks in that 95% would adopt it because it’s just better sometimes.

Rotating (hinged) bracket, like the Cranky Flip stick standoffs. Maybe add a spring button mechanism to lock in place.

I like your remove and use knob idea, so simple.

I've thought about a 2 piece sleeve system for different applications, but I always thought having it tight enough not to rattle in some way once connected might cause it to be difficult to set up due to friction.

783A475E-A8AA-4FE9-A947-925D33A0E835.png

Last edited:

Maybe I am not understanding the whole issue for getting it completely flat but for the noise and to protect stuff that might encounter the edges, a slip on neoprene cover might solve most of the issues.

Maybe I am not understanding the whole issue for getting it completely flat but for the noise and to protect stuff that might encounter the edges, a slip on neoprene cover might solve most of the issues.

I thought about hogging out the shape of the batwing from the bottom of the seat cushion. This would solve the sharpness issue with a component already on hand.

But that just solves sharpness issue. It doesn't address the space issue.

Packing a platform in something, you have to account for 1-2 extra inches of space needed.

packing stuff on a stand, it places the load 1-2 inches further away from your back if it isn't one that can mold around the batwing (the bigger issue).

I thought about hogging out the shape of the batwing from the bottom of the seat cushion. This would solve the sharpness issue with a component already on hand.

Packing a platform in something, you have to account for 1-2 extra inches of space needed.

packing stuff on a stand, it places the load 1-2 inches further away from your back if it isn't one that can mold around the batwing (the bigger issue).
I always carry my platform on the outside of my pack so that hasnt been an issue for me.

Yep. I want a platform that slips into a sleeve in the front of a pack acting as a frame sheet.

I have some el-cheapo Chinese stands that the bottom stand-off is not part of the posts, it's part of the platform. When the platform is cammed-down, the stand offs bite into the tree. These stands do have a fixed standoff on the top but I would imagine the stand off could be part of the folding seat, not part of the vertical posts. The downside of that idea is that when the seat is folded up the top standoff would lose it's bite against the tree. But actually, the seats of a lot of those junk stands don't fold up anyway. I've modified all mine so the seat can fold.
IMO, A folding seat is mandatory in a hang on. Gotta be able to fold it up for a variety of reasons. But a stand could be made so it packs flat...always seems to be a trade off.

I was working on a folding stand-off. I haven’t even looked at the project in a couple of years. But it would could work great. Just haven’t had the time or energy
There was some plastic sticks made a long tone ago that I was working on imitating.
I also made some hinges for stock standoffs seemed legit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got you on the problem with batwings in a pack. Kydex sleeve.

I normally add sticks to the platform or stick it in a bag so haven’t noticed the batwing width being an issue. What sticks are you attaching?

Attachments

• 56F9D343-D4E3-4EF0-9F80-D3C4580E52D0.jpeg
    56F9D343-D4E3-4EF0-9F80-D3C4580E52D0.jpeg
    318.6 KB · Views: 70
I was working on a folding stand-off. I haven’t even looked at the project in a couple of years. But it would could work great. Just haven’t had the time or energy
There was some plastic sticks made a long tone ago that I was working on imitating.
I also made some hinges for stock standoffs seemed legit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keep talkin!

Got you on the problem with batwings in a pack. Kydex sleeve.

I normally add sticks to the platform or stick it in a bag so haven’t noticed the batwing width being an issue. What sticks are you attaching?

no sticks. Think using the platform or stand as your frame pack. Attaching any weight to that gets pushed out by the batwing unless it can form around it.

or if you want to out in the shelf of a frame pack, it destroys it, or pushes that load out some.

I’m aware this is a really nitpicky thing. But I feel like this shouldn’t be hard to solve

I would think the wing nut and simply remove would be easiest... Either way u getting into the fiddley piddley realm.
My thought was a drop or two of ca glue to hold bolt inside batwing, maybe stealth strip over head for good measure. Then stealth strip on post to cut down on noise when installing it.

the times I’d actually take it apart would involve a fair amount of prep at tree anyway if I’m climbing, so ten more seconds installing a batwing won’t break me.

it does sort of bug me it seems like an easy advancement to make with all the other stuff we pressed forward with on stands and platforms.

Yep. I want a platform that slips into a sleeve in the front of a pack acting as a frame sheet.
My predator fit in the laptop sleeve of my Mystery Ranch 2 day assault, that pack is loud, and I’m not a fan of the predator, but if LWCG can make a platform of similar size, without razor sharp edges, that won’t break like a graham cracker, I will buy it and match it up with my tree hopper drill and titanium bolts for a super compact/scout and hunt package. I have a Rancho Safari pack just waiting for this combination.

A 1/4 20 knob works well on my sticks, but they are setup to use the V bracket as a wrench for tightening leverage. It maybe worth a try on the batwing.

Attachments

• 617F5A8F-D2B8-4096-BB00-AE8C792EA7B3.jpeg
    617F5A8F-D2B8-4096-BB00-AE8C792EA7B3.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 41
A 1/4 20 knob works well on my sticks, but they are setup to use the V bracket as a wrench for tightening leverage. It maybe worth a try on the batwing.

I think the knob would be plenty of leverage to get this bolt tight enough.

this may be the answer for now. But the folding standoff seems like a long term answer

If u could find the correct size and could cut a slot in the tubing u could have a heim joint rod end inside the tubing that would give u vertical pivot and u would need a threaded stand off bracket to give u the horizontal. The body of the rod end would be inside and the threaded shank would move thru the vertical slot in the tubing....I'm bad at explaining things...sorry

There be 2 holes in the tubing for the bolt going thru the rod end and the shank slot would be on 1 side opposite the rod end bolt ...the threaded shank of the rod end would be where the threaded batwing bracket would attach

Tightening the stand off bracket would "set/lock" the bracket for use and when u were done u start unthreading the stand off bracket till u could swing it up and the rod end shank would be in line with the tubing and then thread the batwing till it's flat or totally unscrew. The rod end (bolt for the bracket) is itself bolted on so u couldn't loose any wing nuts or knobs

Last edited:

Kind of like the XOP offset quick connect bracket? Essentially a dovetail between the main support beam/post and the bracket that holds it to the tree? Eliminates the need for a batwing all together on the main post. (Or similar to Lone Wolf EZ hand approach.). Have you considered something like that? Both eliminate the batwing attached to the post by putting the attachment method on the strap.

Kind of like the XOP offset quick connect bracket? Essentially a dovetail between the main support beam/post and the bracket that holds it to the tree? Eliminates the need for a batwing all together on the main post. (Or similar to Lone Wolf EZ hand approach.). Have you considered something like that? Both eliminate the batwing attached to the post by putting the attachment method on the strap.

I have ez hang setups. Wheels turning.

hmmm

see this is why I started this thread!

Back