• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Confronting Deer Envy

ThumbsMcGee

Envy is something that many don’t admit to. It takes one to admitting their self-imposed inadequacies, which most people hate to do. I’ve been feeling disappointed in myself these last two days in regards to deer envy.

I’ve seen two great bucks taken from areas I hunt this weekend, and it brings about disappointment. I’ve been able to hunt more this year due to COVID and have no deer to show for it. A ton of deer encounters, just haven’t been able to get a shot off.

I also know I must keep my head high. It’s about the hunt, not about the kill. We all want that buck, but we all must treasure the experience more. This weekend has been dedicated to my family, much more important than hunting. But I promise you I’ll be out there tomorrow!

Stay motivated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen a buck i want to shoot in many years. My motivation couldn't get any lower. I want to be excited, just can't.

I haven't seen a buck i want to shoot in many years. My motivation couldn't get any lower. I want to be excited, just can't.

Been buck-less for couple of years after a 140 class until last year...now if It’s a full body buck/doe im taking a crack at it! Hunting pressure is nuts this year and my sightings went down...Missouri is rut-cation central...waiting for the late season to go H.A.M again

Hang in there. It's all about the experience and shooting something that makes you happy. Sure we all want to shoot a giant buck every year but for most of us is that realistic? Probably not whether it's due to what's in the area, skill levels, etc. Especially with the internet now way too much emphasis is put on "inches" for that hero shot. Enjoy the hunt, we only get so much time on this earth.

I have come to a point in my life where it IS all about the experience of the hunt. In my younger day it was brown and down. It never has really been about the "monster" buck. Last year I shot my biggest buck ever in 52 years of hunting and it was a 7 point, which to me was a trophy. It seems as I get older, my priorities have changed. I now enjoy the time I have taking my one "hunting" grandson out and trying to get him on deer and passing on the knowledge I have learned over the years. Even got him an his dad into saddle hunting! Yesterday morning encounter a small 4 point (illegal in PA) and my heart was pounding as much as if it would have been a "booner". I just hope and pray I can do this thing we call hunting for a whole lot more years

Keep your head up bro.
Look at it like this. Look what my dumb ass did too early lol.
Long story short.
I moved to to a new state. In 2017.
I was always a bed hunter and did pretty well throughout the years back in my home state but now being in a new state snd learning new areas been super tough. Relearning these areas takes time. I mean in my opinion a few years.
Deer Envy? I dont really think its deer envy for me. Its kinda a embarrassment only because when i moved here i started my you tube channel , fb page, and group. And havent killed a buck yet lol. pie to the face man.
Ive have chances at bucks but nothing probably over 3 years old.
in 2018 i did miss a monster during late season. It was a buck i knew about. He wS found by a friend dead during post season.
man i was deflated.
I am a realist and i know. Dead bucks bring listening ears. Thats pretty much all there is too it. Results. Period.
Deer envy?
Not for me. like i said more of an embarrassment.
I really dont let it bother me too much.
especially this year. Nick killed a great buck in an area we been trying to figure out. And my daughter is so close to connecting on her first.

Bucks get killed all season. Ya just cant let it bother you. I admit i was there in the past but ya just gotta keep doing what your doing and working hard at it.
The ones that do bother me the most is the ones that kill some farm raised buck or even some cushy public land monster which clearly pushing some sort of product or equipment painting a picture that you need this to kill a buck like this.
i get it its marketing but when is it kindabs and deceit. Thats the ones that bother me.
In my opinion theres a few things you do need to get consistent on older animals year after year.
—-I would say time on stand but i dont believe this is as important as the knowledge of the areas and how the deer use them.
You can sit in a stsnd for a week straight in an area and never see a deer. so to me thats out.
1. Hard work
2. Again , knowledge of certain areas you are interested in and what lives in these areas
3. A little knowledge of when and why they use the areas. And being able to adapt to situations.
4. A legal weapon ( in season of course)
5. Your license.
thats about it.
People have been killing deer for ages without scents, deer calls, deer stands, saddles, climbing gear,
Hard work and perseverance really brings the most and satisfying results.
keep at it bro it will work out.
remember. I love this saying.
scout, scout, hunt.

I have a client who is 88 years old. He absolutely loves deer hunting and talks about the years of chasing deer with a glint in his eye. He doesn't move so well and now has to have help to get to his blind. He's incredibly thankful for every moment he gets to hunt and thankful and reminiscent for the years before when he had his mobility and could hunt the way he wanted to. I think of him. I remind myself that even when I am not successful that he's out there wishing he could be in my shoes. And someday when my wife has to wipe my ass and pat the drool from my chin I will be reminiscing about the days when I could run around the woods chasing deer on my terms. It helps me when I face those feelings of inadequacy and failure because even though I am not the most skilled buck slayer ever I am fulfilled from the experience and the blessing of it and that's worth more than any wall full of booners.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I have a client who is 88 years old. He absolutely loves deer hunting and talks about the years of chasing deer with a glint in his eye. He doesn't move so well and now has to have help to get to his blind. He's incredibly thankful for every moment he gets to hunt and thankful and reminiscent for the years before when he had his mobility and could hunt the way he wanted to. I think of him. I remind myself that even when I am not successful that he's out there wishing he could be in my shoes. And someday when my wife has to wipe my ass and pat the drool from my chin I will be reminiscing about the days when I could run around the woods chasing deer on my terms. It helps me when I face those feelings of inadequacy and failure because even though I am not the most skilled buck slayer ever I am fulfilled from the experience and the blessing of it and that's worth more than any wall full of booners.

Could not have said it better myself.

Envy is something that many don’t admit to. It takes one to admitting their self-imposed inadequacies, which most people hate to do. I’ve been feeling disappointed in myself these last two days in regards to deer envy.

I’ve seen two great bucks taken from areas I hunt this weekend, and it brings about disappointment. I’ve been able to hunt more this year due to COVID and have no deer to show for it. A ton of deer encounters, just haven’t been able to get a shot off.

I also know I must keep my head high. It’s about the hunt, not about the kill. We all want that buck, but we all must treasure the experience more. This weekend has been dedicated to my family, much more important than hunting. But I promise you I’ll be out there tomorrow!

Stay motivated!

I totally empathize with you. I saw on FB where a teenager killed a 160s 14 pointer, beautiful buck on a property that I had permission to hunt this year but didn’t get to because I’ve been letting my brother hunt with me because the lease he is on sucks so bad. I am happy for him and envious at the same time. I have killed more than my share of mature bucks yet I still get envious every season when I see people knocking them down before I have bagged one.

I have come to realize it is just a part of who I am as a self-centered recovering alcoholic and need to continue praying for God to remove this defect from me. Envy can be a destructive character flaw but we can also turn it into something positive by using it to push ourselves harder to accomplish our goal. It’s when we let it overtake us and cause us to bad things (hunting illegally, trespassing, poaching, hurting others or causing us to be depressed) that it becomes a real problem.

If you believe in a Higher Power I would suggest prayer and meditation. It’s a big step to publicly admit it...very few are strong enough to do that. The power of prayer never ceases to amaze me....it always helps to get me out of the negative mental traps I set for myself.

I know someone who shoots nice bucks out of there yard that is right against the public i hunt and it kills me. I have to tell myself that he is not hunting though. I tell him if I killed them on public they would be getting shoulder mounted, doesn't help me though when I put all the money and time into trying to kill deer and I cant.

Screenshot_20201118-174825_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201118-174820_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201118-174815_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201118-174808_Gallery.jpg

Wow!!!! Really puts things in perspective!! Well said brother.

Stay motivated!

I needed to read this. I’ve been skunked so far this year. Had an awesome buck encounters in southern Michigan and couldn’t get the shot off. Haven’t seen a nice buck since. Everyone I know is shooting nice ones and showing off their pictures. I have major buck envy. It also doesn’t help that I don’t hunt in southern Michigan for the gun season so I’m hunting northern Michigan public land, which has less deer and not nearly the amount of good bucks 2 hours south. I just have to remember that I have all of December to hunt for archery. There’s still lots of time left.

Envy is part of the natural human condition. It can be a positive drive when used in the right circumstances. When it comes to antler that's a hard one to ever overcome, who doesn't want to shoot the biggest deer or elk. Nobody's deer that they kill matters more than to the the person who kills it. I'll look at another persons trophy animal and think what a nice whatever but in the end it only means something to the person who shot it. The experience they had with taking that animal can't even be summed up in a mount on the wall. Its something else to nail to the wall and dust every once in awhile until you are dead. All of us are at different stages in life and that includes what we prioritize from hunting, truly what do you get out of it. What you get joy from when you step into the woods is just as valid as what I do and I hope you have many days of experiencing that joy.

Last edited:
I think social media is one of mankind's worst inventions of all time, if not THE worst. You are bombarded with positive highlights of other people's lives and it makes yours feel inadequate. Facadebook (as I call it) is the worst. Just remember, that guy that posted that big buck, he didn't post anything about the day he wrecked his truck or the day he lost his job.

Focus on the positive things in your life and you will be happier overall and less envious.

"Mind your biscuits and life will be gravy."

I have had the excitement of multiple of my successful hunts dampened by the jealousy of my friends and family members. While I too struggle with jealousy at times, I have purposed not to do that to other people. I try to always get excited when others have success, listen to their story, ask good questions about their hunt, complement the good decisions they made, complement their deer (Even if its just saying "that one will eat good!") and congratulate them for their success.

As a Christian I believe that is how us hunters should be applying the golden rule. I know that is how I would like to be treated when I have success. Jealousy is a challenge for most of us but we must fight past it. Romans 12:15, Matthew 7:12

I have had the excitement of multiple of my successful hunts dampened by the jealousy of my friends and family members. While I too struggle with jealousy at times, I have purposed not to do that to other people. I try to always get excited when others have success, listen to their story, ask good questions about their hunt, complement the good decisions they made, complement their deer (Even if its just saying "that one will eat good!") and congratulate them for their success.

As a Christian I believe that is how us hunters should be applying the golden rule. I know that is how I would like to be treated when I have success. Jealousy is a challenge for most of us but we must fight past it. Romans 12:15, Matthew 7:12
Great post. I have found that it's lot harder to practice than preach LOL

Opening morning of gun season this past Saturday. I set up on skinny public with a tower blind on private not too far away. May not seem like a great choice but I had limited options that day and no idea if the old tower was in active use or not. Just after shooting light a rifle crack rings out and I see a deer come bounding by my stand 40 yards away. Moving too fast to see antlers but looked like a good sized deer. Disappears in brush before I can do anything. Guy walks out from tower to search. Figured my hunt was boogered. Half hour later he comes to my stand to ask if I saw it crash. I decide to offer to help search. We grid search and find the buck which was a beautiful big 8 pointer, probably 185ish lbs (New England style measurements here). For VT, and for me in particular, it was a monster. I've never seen a buck that big in person, hunting or otherwise. I helped him drag it out and made some cool memories and a new friend in the process. He shared lots of info about the land and other nearby spots.

The fact that I chose a tree within 40 yards of the biggest deer of my life is cool. The fact that it didn't come home with me for sure evokes natural human jealousy and disappointment. The memories and cameradery I experienced are priceless to me.

In the end, I realized that one of my favorite parts of hunting is the story telling I get to do with friends and family. I left that field Saturday with as exciting of a story as I've ever told.
(FYI there's lots more to the story that I didn't share here for breavity's sake).

Back