• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Converting from RH to LH?

MN_Bowhunter4

I might have a problem...

A few of you tagged here had responded to another post of mine looking to swap a RH for a LH. I did, and I’m shooing the left hand almost too good! First two shots I busted a nock. I chalked that up to beginners luck and shot some more with still very tight groups. Surprised myself to say the least!

My right arm isn’t quite as steady on the grip but that will come. Mechanics of loading the arrow with my left hand and hook h the release are a little weird, but again with practice that’ll come. I’m about 30 arrows in and definitely digging it.

Just for grins I shot 3 arrows left handed and then another 3 on my right hand bow (traded my backup). Shocking to see the LH be tighter, which I’m mostly thinking is due to keeping both eyes open when aiming. Crazy.

So where’s the problem? I have spent a ton of money in my life on RH equipment, including in my current RH setup and I feel guilty about it. Who knew lol. I’m super tempted to go whole hog and sell it, but want to really make sure I’m committed to the southpaw first. It’ll be an interesting spring/summer to say the least!

Thanks fellas for the encouragement and nudge!

@Red Beard @Aaronpaul14 @sad_story

A few busted nocks is a good problem to have ;)

No problem buddy! Sometimes we just need someone to give us that vote of confidence that we can do it. @Bwhana did it for me one time when I had analysis paralysis prior to cutting a climbing stick. The thing ended up turning out great!

Get 100 shots in with your new rig and drawing a bow right handed will feel awkward and clumsy. You'll quickly come to the understanding that you're not going back to your other bow. Then you'll be able to sell it and not feel bad :)

Glad it’s working out for you as it did me. The mechanics will come second nature along with the strength.

I bet after a month or so with it you won’t be questioning selling your expensive one and making sure you are set for this coming fall!

Interesting story.
What made you want to switch from RH to LH? Do you do other things LH?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Shoot em both! Tons of fun. You might be able to win a few bets while you're at it. I am currently shooting RH and LH recurve trying to figure out which one I prefer.

Thanks, yea I’m aware of that test, but I didn’t know how accurate it was. I’m left eye dominant per that test. So that’s what you used to make the switch huh?
I’ve always kind of known. The numerous tests just confirmed it. I reconfirmed by not closing my right eye when shooting LH and looking through the peep without issue. I cannot look through the peep with both eyes open and have everything line up when shooting RH.

I’ve been dealing with this for a few years and yet to make the switch. Hard to switch when you have all your gear righty!

As some one who has made that switch 3 or 4 years ago, I will tell you it was a great move and not nearly as complicated and difficult as you build it up in your head to be. I was convinced after the first dozen I let fly. It really doesn't take long.

I have a buddy that made the switch. Like you are experiencing, it takes a little bit to figure out the little things, like loading the arrow but the instant better shooting is undeniable. Shooting with the correct eye the best thing to do. By hunting season it'll be just like shooting right handed used to be.

I’ve always kind of known. The numerous tests just confirmed it. I reconfirmed by not closing my right eye when shooting LH and looking through the peep without issue. I cannot look through the peep with both eyes open and have everything line up when shooting RH.
So in your opinion...starting with a person right handed and left eye dominant with no archery experience would you start out with a lefty.

So in your opinion...starting with a person right handed and left eye dominant with no archery experience would you start out with a lefty.
Yes, I would.

That is coming from someone with 20 years of right handed experience, and 2 days of left. So I am far from an authority but I would absolutely start with eye dominance as the deciding factor, based on what I’ve experienced.

Back