• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cooking dinner for kids...

Madgrad02

SH Member
My wife needed to run an errand into town. I live in the country on a little under 3 acres, so far from a deer mecca... but does serve as a nice funnel from 30 or so acres across the street. Long story short, warming dinner for my little ones (3 and 1 yr old) and look out back window to see what looks like a nice racked buck harrassing some doe and walking across the street in my backyard towards my house. Without thinking, turn stove off, turn off lights as to not alert deer to crazed large American male frantically running around house, run downstairs to grab bow and back upstairs to sneak out... with my house layout and bucks location, only chance was off back porch.
Sneak passed kids excitedly trying to hide my bow as they're attentively playing before dinner. Sneak hunched to patio door in sunroom. We just replaced our second story deck, and with haven't received railings yet, so have our patio table blocking door so kids can't walk out and take the Nestea plunge off the deck. Get table moved in time to catch the biggest deer I've ever drawn back on sneaking through. He's at 30, i'm confident... let her fly... watch lumenok on course... and stick right between his legs. What?!?! Ran back inside for range finder... keep in mind, I've hunted from my little bit of woods plenty but never from my deck here. Range it. Has to be 30...36yds...
Buck didn't spook. Went back inside dejected to finish kid's dinner (as much at I'd love to stay outside waiting). Cooking dinner again and see him circling back in. Sneak back out and get him within 20yds (though more likely 26... ) behind a big pine tree on the corner of my deck for what seems like hours...my 1yr old daughter seemingly thought I was gone to long as well and began pounding on the glass crying. Do my best to mitigate damage done, tuck tail, and sneak back inside to finish their dinner. Good news he's still around, albeit likely to not make a daylight mistake again. Saw him again on my driveway tonight as I was pulling in... so there's always a chance...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201030-172547_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20201030-172547_Messages.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
My wife needed to run an errand into town. I live in the country on a little under 3 acres, so far from a deer mecca... but does serve as a nice funnel from 30 or so acres across the street. Long story short, warming dinner for my little ones (3 and 1 yr old) and look out back window to see what looks like a nice racked buck harrassing some doe and walking across the street in my backyard towards my house. Without thinking, turn stove off, turn off lights as to not alert deer to crazed large American male frantically running around house, run downstairs to grab bow and back upstairs to sneak out... with my house layout and bucks location, only chance was off back porch.
Sneak passed kids excitedly trying to hide my bow as their attentively playing before dinner. Sneak hunched to patio door in sunroom. We just replaced our second story deck, and with haven't received railings yet, so have our patio table blocking door so kids can't walk out and take the Nestea plunge off the deck. Get table moved in time to catch the biggest deer I've ever drawn back on sneaking through. He's at 30, i'm confident... let her fly... watch lumenok on course... and stick right between his legs. What?!?! Ran back inside for range finder... keep in mind, I've hunted from my little bit of woods plenty but never from my deck here. Range it. Has to be 30...36yds...
Buck didn't spook. Went back inside dejected to finish kid's dinner (as much at I'd love to stay outside waiting). Cooking dinner again and see him circling back in. Sneak back out and get him within 20yds (though more likely 26... ) behind a big pine tree on the corner of my deck for what seems like hours...my 1yr old daughter seemingly thought I was gone to long as well and began pounding on the glass crying. Do my best to mitigate damage done, tuck tail, and sneak back inside to finish their dinner. Good news he's still around, albeit likely to not make a daylight mistake again. Saw him again on my driveway tonight as I was pulling in... so there's always a chance...
Better get a railing up and some chairs to shoot from...

Sneak passed kids excitedly trying to hide my bow as they're attentively playing before dinner. Sneak hunched to patio door in sunroom. We just replaced our second story deck, and with haven't received railings yet, so have our patio table blocking door so kids can't walk out and take the Nestea plunge off the deck. Get table moved in time to catch the biggest deer I've ever drawn back on sneaking through. He's at 30, i'm confident... let her fly... watch lumenok on course... and stick right between his legs. What?!?! Ran back inside for range finder... keep in mind, I've hunted from my little bit of woods plenty but never from my deck here. Range it. Has to be 30...36yds...

The kids would have waited for dinner if it was fresh backstraps :)

Back