• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Crocs: preparation and maintenance

Red Beard

SH Member
Had to replace a worn out pair of yard/garage shoes awhile back and I ending up buying a pair of... ... ... Crocs. Don't snicker. The dern things actually turned out to be pretty much the most comfortable footgear I own (only second to Olukai's). Anyway, a few of yall have dropped them into 4WD and put some WMA miles on them over the years. Haven't heard anybody say they lost a foot from a copperhead bite so I figure what the hey... maybe I'll take a pair into the timber this early season too.

Thinking about trotting into the woods in glorified house slippers has me questioning logistics of the whole thing. To sock or not to sock? That is the question. Seriously though, what are yall seasoned vets doing about dare I say... scent control? Do I still need to bury them in dirt for a year like John E.? How do I combat sweaty feet? Is that an issue with the airflow these things have? Should I even be thinking about this or do I just spray them down prior to every hunt with my favorite scent elimination spray and go on my merry way?

C'mon, help a brother Croc-lover out!
20200905_084452.jpg

Last edited:
Socks, those rubber crocs stick to sweaty feet and irritate and stick after a while. A pair of light socks will prevent that pretty easy.

My feet get sweaty in mine, even with the air flow holes, but i dont use mine for hunting, so i am not as concerned with smells. I wouldn't imagine the rubber would hold much foot smell, plus with such an open design they air out more between usee

Had to replace a worn out pair of yard/garage shoes awhile back and I ending up buying a pair of... ... ... Crocs. Don't snicker. The dern things actually turned out to be pretty much the most comfortable footgear I own (only second to Olukai's). Anyway, a few of yall have dropped them into 4WD and put some WMA miles on them over the years. Haven't heard anybody say they lost a foot from a copperhead bite so I figure what the hey... maybe I'll take a pair into the timber this early season too.

Thinking about trotting into the woods in glorified house slippers has me questioning logistics of the whole thing. To sock or not to sock? That is the question. Seriously though, what are yall seasoned vets doing about dare I say... scent control? Do I still need to bury them in dirt for a year like John E.? How do I combat sweaty feet? Is that an issue with the airflow these things have? Should I even be thinking about this or do I just spray them down prior to every hunt with my favorite scent elimination spray and go on my merry way?

Be sure not to step on any sharp twigs or thorns...... the go straight into the foot meat.

Socks in cold weather and bareback all other times....I think u over thinking it....once u got the hubs locked and u engage the toe curl (we call it tridactyl or raptor toe) there's no stopping u....since u are in a glorified house shoe u tend to watch your footing and go slower (that's a good thing IMO) I've never been struck at by a venomous snake with rubber boots or leather boots so I take my chances with the crocs. No such thing as scent control here so u on ur own with that....

I wear my rubber boots to walk in and keep the crocs strapped to my vest or pack or whatever....I got a length of paracord I use to girth the rubbers to the tree if I didn't change and leave them at the bottom of the tree

I sometimes spot and stalk wearing crocs but it has to be known terrain that I know isn't to crazy to walk thru

Watch out for the sticks and thorns through the side holes. I had that happen a few times with sandals. No socks. :D

Just swing in to your nearest Family Dollar or Dollar General and grab a 12 pack of cheap footies for $6 and toss em in your truck.

I’m about 50/50 on socks in warm weather myself. It just depends on what I’m feeling at the time. Crocs are Zen and I just go along with the flow.

View attachment 33739

I will only agree that the Olukai sandals are the best. I’ve had only one pair for about a decade now and wear them almost every day after work. Bonus: I don’t have to be ashamed of my footwear.

881808B5-F9A0-4BF1-9D99-72078E85D132.png

View attachment 33739
All I wanna know is, what’s their UV profile?

Being a nurse, I wear them everyday at work. Very comfy.
I always wear socks, because work.
I have worn them at home in the woods. Once they get sweaty my feet would slip around in them.
7392bf2d863fe562bfc04f2cfd2affab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

So, I need some help here. Turns out these things are so comfortable that I started wearing them around the yard... and then the garage... and then the house... and then out.

Do I need a new pair must for hunting now? Or can I just ozone them or spray them down with scent killer and roll? I mean, I would never wear my hunting boots around town. But Crocs are... Crocs.

I wore Camo Crocs to my buddy's wedding. I had a black suit, white shirt, black tie, and camo Crocs w/ no socks. They make cable aiders a little harsh. I only wear two pair of shoes outside of work. Standard for most weather, fleece lined for cold weather.

Them theres ya got don’t have the rear locking diff or the all terrains...

Couldn’t find the ones with mudders.. maybe they stopped making em

Try these.

352B60F4-9DDF-415B-B874-E76C97DFE734.png

Them theres ya got don’t have the rear locking diff or the all terrains...

Couldn’t find the ones with mudders.. maybe they stopped making em

Try these.

View attachment 35211
I got the mudders. Haven’t tried these. And o hope they haven’t stopped making them. The tread is getting low on mine and need to get a new pair

FF680372-CA32-4361-A1B2-3298D87D1C7A.png

And like others said these fleece ones are the best slippers you’ll find for camping or around the hunting camp in the fall/winter

I wore my crocs a bunch and really put them through the paces but they had a few downsides that I didn’t like. They’re open which means any tall grass or brush you walk throughyou’re getting grass, leaves, sticks etc in between your feet and the croc. I can’t stand that feeling, I’d almost rather go bare foot. Secondly, if you go anywhere that is wet (like a field early in the morning) they will be extremely slippery. They get so slippery I could See someone rolling an ankle in them.

If you get the ones with adjustable rear diff and 4x4 they can be set up to stay on your foot a little better but you still aren’t climbing or hiking with them.

If you add socks you improve them significantly in my opinion unless you get them wet while in socks in which you lose 20 points.

For these reasons I have switched to Tevas for my all around summer no sock footwear. They do really well hiking and in the canoe. You still get crap underneath them; however, they don’t slip under your feet when wet. They have a little more support in them but they do take a little more to put on than a slip on clog.

All and all I’d rather wear boots then fool with stomping in the woods with bare feet exposed. They’re great in and around the house but otherwise they’re ok at best. Better than a flip flop but not as good as a sandle. Not even in the ball park of a good boot.

Back