• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Crossbow purchase?

sojourner

SH Member
My beloved child size Parker crossbow finally gave up the ghost. Further, since Parker is out of business, and there are no replacement parts available, I have to purchase a new crossbow.
And need it before mid sept.

Based on my criteria,

1. Definitely not a hickory creek!!!!
2. Small (length, width) and lightweight
3. Preferably cheap.
4. Speed, I am happy at anything 300fps and above.

Looking at killer instinct crossbows (local archery shop has them).

Anyone have any recommendations for make and model?

And if you recommend hickory creek, I shall taunt you with comments like “you mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries”!

Seriously, no hickory creek and no jx3 please.

Thanks!

I have both a 3000$ and 900$ crossbow. I used the cheaper one far more last year than I did the expensive one. Imo the 10pt titan is one of the finest values in the industry today. That's a turbo in the picture which I got used for 700$. Its a superbly accurate rock solid bow. I have over 250 shots on that center serving and it still looks brand new.
I strongly suggest a look at a titanScreenshot_20210809-140634__01.jpg

Here's another vote for the Tenpoint. If you can justify the expense once, you'll be set for life. They make exceptional crossbows. Here's a link to the Tenpoint Titan at the best online dealer I've dealt with. I highly recommend them.

I have a Kodabow. Rock solid, never heard of one breaking. You can replace a string in the field, though I have not replaced mine after 8 years. You can de-cock it without shooting an arrow.
Accurate, and no fiddle factor.

My beloved child size Parker crossbow finally gave up the ghost. Further, since Parker is out of business, and there are no replacement parts available, I have to purchase a new crossbow.
And need it before mid sept.

Based on my criteria,

1. Definitely not a hickory creek!!!!
2. Small (length, width) and lightweight
3. Preferably cheap.
4. Speed, I am happy at anything 300fps and above.

Looking at killer instinct crossbows (local archery shop has them).

Anyone have any recommendations for make and model?

And if you recommend hickory creek, I shall taunt you with comments like “you mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries”!

Seriously, no hickory creek and no jx3 please.

Thanks!
Because I'm also looking for one for my daughter... I'll ask. Why not a HC?

Because I'm also looking for one for my daughter... I'll ask. Why not a HC?

All the downsides of a vertical bow without most of the upsides of a crossbow.

Cannot put on a gun rest to zero. (No hooter shooters for me).

Too fiddly.

Issues with the scope and field of view.

Things shaking loose over time.

Look at the hickory creek thread. It appears, to me, that many are working around setting it up, making sure it doesn’t loosen up and change point of impact.

Absolutely no confidence and one more thing to worry about If i got one.

Get a crossbow, the designated bolts, zero it, lube the rail, wax the strings and shoot deer.

Just my 0.02 cents.

What parker did you have? Just curious. My son and I were just shooting my thunderhawk. Seems pretty compact. Is there anything I need to watch out for?

All the downsides of a vertical bow without most of the upsides of a crossbow.

Cannot put on a gun rest to zero. (No hooter shooters for me).

Too fiddly.

Issues with the scope and field of view.

Things shaking loose over time.

Look at the hickory creek thread. It appears, to me, that many are working around setting it up, making sure it doesn’t loosen up and change point of impact.

Absolutely no confidence and one more thing to worry about If i got one.

Get a crossbow, the designated bolts, zero it, lube the rail, wax the strings and shoot deer.

Just my 0.02 cents.
Hmmm

What parker did you have? Just curious. My son and I were just shooting my thunderhawk. Seems pretty compact. Is there anything I need to watch out for?

A Parker Challenger.

My archery shop guy said that the weak link on the challenger (not sure if other Parker models too) is where the firing mechanism bolts to the frame.

A nut was embedded in plastic. The plastic broke.

The immediate sign was the whole unit where the scope is attached just pivoted up and down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out the killer instinct swat x1. I have one preordered. My expected delivery end of the month. It’s right around $1200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am seriously eyeballing that one!! I am going to check my archery shop and see if/when they come in. He is local and only carries killer instinct.

I am seriously eyeballing that one!! I am going to check my archery shop and see if/when they come in. He is local and only carries killer instinct.

If you haven’t done so yet there’s some good reviews on crossbow nation forum on it to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Excalibur micro mag 340 is the ticket. Dependable and affordable can easily fix in field if any issues but I would shoot 400 grains minimum out of that bow comes with 350 grains bolts including fp. I would check out wyverncreations.com he has the best prices and several different packages that will cost just about the same as you buy stock. He also carries other lines as well

I know next to nothing about crossbows but watched a guy shoot a Ravin a few times and that thing was impressive. No idea what they sell for though.

Lots of good recommendations. Going to look at the ravin R26, R18, killer instinct swat X1 and maybe the Excalibur’s. The Excalibur’s seem to be a little too wide for my liking.

It is something that I have 4 platforms, 4 different sets of sticks, 2 saddles, 3 backpacks all in the name of redundancy and yet …. Only one archery weapon which has unceremoniously crapped the bed. At least it happened before season.

I really want to support my local archery guy, he only has killer instinct, and he does all the maintenance. May go with them for ha purpose alone. But the ravin looks quite nice too.

Back