• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Crossbow recommendation?

MaxJac

For the last two hunting seasons, I borrowed a crossbow from my friend, switching to gun as soon as the season would open up. A new lease allows shotgun or archery only, so I'm looking into purchasing one.

Here my question: Can anyone of you share your experience with a crossbow package from either ****'s, Cabela's and/or Sportsman Guide. I'm looking at a budget between 400 and 500$. Is buying more expensive making a major difference? Recommendations? Suggestions? Concerns?

Thanks in advance!

My experience was positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would buy local (for maintenance, etc. ...) if you can. If not, I have heard

Is a reputable and reliable source for ordering online.

If I wanted an Excalibur I would be looking at one of the takedowns. I would check out the hickory creek mini. I am a fan of the ultra narrow. Ten point, raven, and center point all make one. I ordered a centerpoint sniper for my son. For $229 it came with everything to broadheads. It can be decocked without discharging which is important to me. I’m not interested in having to carry a target every time we hunt. For me once you hit the $750 budget things get really cool but if spending less than that I wouldn’t spend more than $229.

To me Excalibur is the way to go. Truthfully they are local to me here, and their customer service is bulletproof. I shoot a 335 Micro and it is just about perfect to me. Accurate, small by standard measures, and plenty powerful. I don't know if that will fit in your price point, but there are lots of used Excals out there. My two hunting buddies both shoot older models, and they are equally reliable.

My experience was positive.

That’s a huge crossbow and it’s performance is just mediocre by today’s standards. That said it kills deer. It’s accurate. You can change the string and tune it on your tailgate in the woods. There’s a guy that has a YouTube channel called death by bungee that is completely about him hunting with his axiom.

My dad has a wicked ridge invader X4 that is awesome from 50 yards in, and it is really light I have shot from the saddle with no issues. I saw it for sale just this week at Cabelas online for $399. You really can't beat it for that price.

I have a Parker Thunderhawk .
Parker went out of business so if this crossbow breaks a limb I will go with Excalibur Takedown.

I have a Centerpoint Sniper 370. It's been very good to me so far, and it's well within your budget. I know CP has come out with some new products so I'm not sure if it's been replaced, but it has my endorsement!

Edit: I checked and it is still available.

Last edited:
There are a lot of good crossbows out there. Depends on what you want to spend and what feels good to you. I would take my time and check out a few before I buy.

I have a centerpoint from academy as well, sub-300 bucks and is a fine shooting machine. Have killed many o critters with it

As others have said also, centerpoint is awesome, using it now for last 3 years, no issues for me, and groups was really tight at 30 yards, would normally have to aim at a different point or I would need to buy some new arrows/bolts.

Killer Instinct ripper 415. I bought one and love it for it being a lower end price point. It has a metal rail,fast,accurate and knocks a target like crazy. I have killed few deer with it and blown through them all.
Same here
10852f6def870671f56b5c8396df2a62.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Same here
10852f6def870671f56b5c8396df2a62.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Any reasons you went with the ripper 415 instead of the burner 415? They are almost identical price.

I have a Parker and am looking at getting a backup crossbow. My dealer moved from Parker to Killer Instinct Crossbow after Parker closed up shop. So I am looking at the KI brand now.

Back