• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cruzr XC or Recon

Dorseytuck

I am brand new to saddle hunting Excited to get into it. also haven’t really posted on here before but I’ve been a member for a while and I’ve read a ton. I’ve read pretty much everything I can find on both of these models, here on the forum, but I think I may be having some analysis paralysis! I’ve also watched a ton of videos and I think these are the two I have narrowed it down to.

I am 6’3“, 215 athletic build with a deep curve in my lower back and a 36 inch waist. I don’t know if I am giving the proper information as far as my physical characteristics, But at least it’s a starting point.

Any thoughts and experiences you can share and much appreciated!

The Recon is comfortable, but fussy to put on. Not hard, but definitely more work than a single panel. Also, dump pouches were a no go for me with the Recon due to it not having much structure. I have never sat in a cruzr xc, but have sat in a archon. I would pick up the xc due to it being good at most things and easy to adjust for a newer hunter.

Good luck!
JJ

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The Recon is comfortable, but fussy to put on. Not hard, but definitely more work than a single panel. Also, dump pouches were a no go for me with the Recon due to it not having much structure. I have never sat in a cruzr xc, but have sat in a archon. I would pick up the xc due to it being good at most things and easy to adjust for a newer hunter.

Good luck!
JJ

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sadly I would agree. The Recon is not a beginner friendly saddle because of everything that was mentioned. The XC is very popular and it is a good overall saddle. The only thing that the Recon out shine all other saddles IMHO is comfort once you are hunting. Wearing in, pouches, etc....a decent single panel saddle would be better for someone new. So you have to decide for yourself what is more important to you. I use a Recon as my only saddle because I rather overcome its weaknesses by not wearing it in, no pouches, etc. Because I want the max comfort for the 95% of the time I hunt and the Recon provided me that. Other people have use the XC for all day sit and are fine, but again everyone is different. No reason to lock yourself in if you find that the saddle is not for you. I would recommend the XC if its your first saddle because it has a higher resale value then the Recon.

I have both saddles and I’m 6’3” 210-215, 36” waist. I would choose the XC if I were in your shoes for the reasons mentioned above. I actually find the comfort about equal. Maybe a slight edge to the Recon. Climbing and using dump pouches is much better with the XC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m 5 11, 185, 32 inch waist and have both. (Small recon, 2 cruzer) I put a custom belt in my recon (similar to the method) to eliminate the sagging issue and it works great. I tend to sit more than stand 80/20. Both are comfortable however, when sitting I found the cruzer more comfortable. No matter how I adjusted the recon I was readjusting it every hour. With the cruzer I just climb, sit, and it’s done. I also went up a size in the cruzer. If you just want to climb and hunt cruzer. If you want more adjustments recon. For a first timer I would recommend the cruzer for simplicity and comfort. You might want to see if you have anyone local you can’t meet up with to try out both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both saddles and I’m 6’3” 210-215, 36” waist. I would choose the XC if I were in your shoes for the reasons mentioned above. I actually find the comfort about equal. Maybe a slight edge to the Recon. Climbing and using dump pouches is much better with the XC.

We are the same size. Do you run a size 2 ?

Yep

Quick question. I am about the same physical size as you...and looking to get the Cruzr XC...and I am on the fence about size 2 vs 3...

In your opinion, how close do you feel you are to the limits on the size 2? Do you wish you would have up sized? I see they mention on their site they built them with added layers in mind when they did the sizing recommendations.

TIA

Quick question. I am about the same physical size as you...and looking to get the Cruzr XC...and I am on the fence about size 2 vs 3...

In your opinion, how close do you feel you are to the limits on the size 2? Do you wish you would have up sized? I see they mention on their site they built them with added layers in mind when they did the sizing recommendations.

TIA
I’m 5’10” 225 and I have a size 2. Cruzr XC. Plenty of room when I get my layers on. I typically lean and only really sit when I’m in early waiting for first light. Sometimes the days are long if I’m doing an all day “lean” but still comfortable.

I’ve hunting in several of the saddles. I would say the Cruzr XC would be my choice for new saddle user. I ended up with the Archon due to the amount of adjustability, but the XC is an awesome choice. Good luck!

TIA

Size 2 is just right for me

Back