• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Customizing RCH

Aeds151

Has anyone added a large piece of material to a regular rock climbing harness that extends from the waist belt to the leg straps? I like how the rch fits across the legs much more than the saddle
On the market. I am thinking about sewing a piece of fleece to support the butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here's my RCH saddle combo, lovely and comfortable and nice with the SRT/DRT methods using the rch loop 69172826_391773111736225_1307386189476528128_n.jpg69863451_903447703354310_2823871667757907968_n.jpg

Has anyone attempted to sew a seat onto this type of RCH? I am not a fan of the nut hugger cross straps that are on all of the big saddle brands. Im confused as to why they would not follow with what rchs have been doing for decades. Way more comfortable with support behind the legs rather than across. Easier to hike with as well.

39b14ac4dd100726788c0c0c2006cdff.jpg

Last edited:
No I haven't tried what you describe I found the leg straps for me gave me leg pinch when climbing with DRT that's why I incorporated it into a saddle style which I find most comfortable when walking I dont fully hook in the leg loops and I am liking this,for me it works perfect,regards wayne

Hey! I wanted to get some recommendations on a good climbing harness. I've tried the DMM renegade and found it was uncomfortable, especially on the waist during hanging belays and raps. I tried on the misty mountain Cadillac and found it way too bulky. Just recieved an arc'teryx fl-365 (there's a lot of good recommendation and high positions in dif. ratings)... And its already back in the box with a return shipping label on it. The waist fit fine(almost too big), but the legs were way too tight. I didn't find it overly comfortable either. Would it be worth trying the ar-395 or will it fit the same. Love my BD solution but I need bigger/ and or more gear loops.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!!

That’s the Petzl Canyon harness correct?
Are the side gear loops weight rated?
no it's a petzl gym harness yes both the bridge loops and linemans loops are weight bearing, i found the harness alone had pressure points when climbing or rappelling so hence the saddle, i can now hook up the saddle loops and the belay loop on the harness together and the saddle then spreads the load works very well and the harness is safe and now comfortable. i will get a vid of me setting it up and climbing for you,regards wayne
PS I made the saddle but I am happy with all the stitching and the construction is safe.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, the petzl gym harness has no gear loops. I use one with a sitdrag.

Your modifications look great btw.

Has anyone attempted to sew a seat onto this type of RCH? I am not a fan of the nut hugger cross straps that are on all of the big saddle brands. Im confused as to why they would not follow with what rchs have been doing for decades. Way more comfortable with support behind the legs rather than across. Easier to hike with as well.

39b14ac4dd100726788c0c0c2006cdff.jpg

I have been wanting to try this just haven't got around to it!!

Back