• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cut lone wolf sticks with a new double step idea...I think.

brock6212

So I decided to cut my sticks down to 18”. Nothing new there. I wanted a double step setup on the top of at least one stick and figured I’d try using the leftover steps. A longer bolt for both steps at the top, and a longer allen bolt and I’m set. I haven’t seen this before, so I figured I’d share what I did. Maybe it's an old idea, IDK. Either way here it is. The close up of the longer allen bolt with the bushing looks like it's bent, but it's an optical illusion. So I gain nothing over a true "double step," but I can fold this up for easier packability, which is what I was shooting for by cutting the sticks down in the first place.

I'm gonna try it out this weekend doing some observation sits on the private I hunt 2hrs away. Hopefully it'll serve me well for quick run and gun on the public ground closer to home.

Attachments

• 259626E6-2FBA-4014-A2BA-549B93A7C27A.jpeg
    259626E6-2FBA-4014-A2BA-549B93A7C27A.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 221
  • B333A182-14DD-4C31-8E6B-5F0D18A2BC73.jpeg
    B333A182-14DD-4C31-8E6B-5F0D18A2BC73.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 234
  • 0B476EDF-BDE2-4544-9ED6-F1CB81BB0675.jpeg
    0B476EDF-BDE2-4544-9ED6-F1CB81BB0675.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 254
  • FE49D2C1-0444-4FD5-9145-91098F728738.jpeg
    FE49D2C1-0444-4FD5-9145-91098F728738.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
So I decided to cut my sticks down to 18”. Nothing new there. I wanted a double step setup on the top of at least one stick and figured I’d try using the leftover steps. A longer bolt for both steps at the top, and a longer allen bolt and I’m set. I haven’t seen this before, so I figured I’d share what I did. Maybe it's an old idea, IDK. Either way here it is. The close up of the longer allen bolt with the bushing looks like it's bent, but it's an optical illusion. So I gain nothing over a true "double step," but I can fold this up for easier packability, which is what I was shooting for by cutting the sticks down in the first place.

I'm gonna try it out this weekend doing some observation sits on the private I hunt 2hrs away. Hopefully it'll serve me well for quick run and gun on the public ground closer to home.
I'm planning to cut mine down tomorrow hopefully. Let me know how you like them I may do the same. What size bolt did you get?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I knew someone would ask that. Ummm..., not sure. I took an original in to the hardware store. The original ones are fine thread if my memory serves me correctly. There wasn’t anything like that at my hardware store. I know it wasn’t coarse thread, but otherwise is the same size as the original. I think it was a 1/4X2” that I used, and the bushing is 1/2”. Then I grabbed a nylon nut. Everything is stainless, so it won’t rust.

I'm planning to cut mine down tomorrow hopefully. Let me know how you like them I may do the same. What size bolt did you get?

I think I’m gonna grab some hardware to do the other two sticks the same way. I noticed in another thread you mentioned the same thing, that way you don’t have to dink around with standing on one step while hanging the next stick.

When I head back to the hardware store I’ll pay better attention to what I’m grabbing and get back to you with more pics and info.

Whatever a stainless bolt is. Would grade 8 be better, probably, but I figured steel is still stronger than aluminum, and the square tubing would fail first. I’m not a rocket scientist, so I could be wrong.

I’ll find out for sure this weekend. I’ll give it the 250lbs jump test at ground level and find out.

What I didn’t do, and probably will go back and do is add another bushing inside the tubing, to prevent the tubing from bending. With the longer hardware I’m sure there’s some added torque, and hopefully putting a bushing inside will help with that. I might have to do some grinding, but I’ll get a tight fit.

I’ll update with pictures once I get everything squared away.

I have done this exact same thing. Yes, it works. One thing that happened on mine is the bushing really started to dig into the 1” tubing. It warbled out the hole, the bolt got a little sloppy, and I quickly lost confidence that it was a good long-term solution.

I thought about going back and adding two grade 8 fender washers to both faces for the under the steps and the bushing (in order to spread the forces out over a larger area), but dropped that idea after seeing what the bushing did to the main post.

Good luck!

Whatever a stainless bolt is. Would grade 8 be better, probably, but I figured steel is still stronger than aluminum, and the square tubing would fail first. I’m not a rocket scientist, so I could be wrong.

I’ll find out for sure this weekend. I’ll give it the 250lbs jump test at ground level and find out.
Not sure about the differences but grade 8 is the standard. Why mess around there? My hunch is the bolt will bend before the aluminum gives. Not worth ruining a hunt for, much less risking a tumble.

I have done this exact same thing. Yes, it works. One thing that happened on mine is the bushing really started to dig into the 1” tubing. It warbled out the hole, the bolt got a little sloppy, and I quickly lost confidence that it was a good long-term solution.

I thought about going back and adding two grade 8 fender washers to both faces for the under the steps and the bushing (in order to spread the forces out over a larger area), but dropped that idea after seeing what the bushing did to the main post.

Good luck!
The bushing I was going to put inside the tubing will have the same hole size, but larger overall thickness if that makes sense, like the attached pic. I'll get the biggest one that will fit in the inside of the square tubing. I also like the idea of the grade 8 washers, before any reaming occurs. I'm not in a hurry to get to my funeral. If it doesn't work I'm gonna scratch it.

Found these though! :

Attachments

• aa-569_1.jpg
    aa-569_1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 28
Would grade 8 be better than alloy steel? I know they're harder, but with hardness comes brittle.

That looks cool. I did that with a lone wolf cut off and added api steps and bracket and added a harken cleat with aider to make it my one stick. It’s nice to carry just 1 stick in the woods. Think I’m gonna try your mod with couple left over LW steps

I thought about the same thing. The bolts I have are stainless however there is no spec on specifically what grade the bolt is. To my understanding, most stainless isn't as strong as grade 8 from what I've read.

So I changed out the bolt that goes through the steps and the bracket with a grade 8, and also took the suggestion of adding the grade 8 washers. With the washers there wasn’t quite enough clearance to get all the nut on, so I’ll have to get something longer. This one was a 2”, probably gonna have to go with 2.5” to make it work.
I also had to do some grinding on the bigger bushing. I took my time, and took small bits off to ensure a snug fit. I put bushings on the socket head bolt and the bolt with the steps. Put grade 8 washers on both as well.

I didn’t change out the stainless socket head bolt for a grade 8 yet, only because the hardware store didn’t have any. I might need to hit up a big box store or fastenall.

I didn’t change out the stainless socket head bolt for a grade 8 yet, only because the hardware store didn’t have any. I might need to hit up a big box store or fastenall.
Only reason I'm changing mine is to make the standoffs rotate completely

Got some socket cap screws that are alloy, which is supposed to be harder than grade 8. Tied the stick to the tree, and gave it the test. The alloy bolt did bend, slightly, and the bushing looks like it’s trying to dig into the washer. The washer I started with was thinner profile. I just beefed it up to a thicker washer/bushing that’s grade 8 as well. I think with normal use I may have found a winner. I’m gonna go ahead and convert my other two sticks over, and start using them, and like all sticks/straps/etc. I keep inspecting them before I head out. Like I said, with normal climbing and not slamming up and down on them, I think this might be the ticket.

I also swapped out the bolts on the steps and stand off for 3”, so now I can get the nylon nut threaded on.

Here’s a shot of the bushing on the inside. Again, it’s 1/4X5/8X3/4. I had to grind it a tad to get a good fit.

Attachments

• 50BE9B83-7F4B-482A-AB36-D640DAF7A98C.jpeg
    50BE9B83-7F4B-482A-AB36-D640DAF7A98C.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 41
Back