• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cutting sticks...versa button placement

Jeremy_D

Im going to cut down my LW sticks to 22"step spacing. This will put the versa button at 10" below my top step which is 1" higher then center. Should I move it up? Anybody have a beast stick that they can measure the distance from the top step to the versa button. Im basically coping them. Thanks

IMG_20200325_103059571_copy_1024x1365.jpgIMG_20200325_103106989_copy_1024x1365.jpg

I did the same to my sticks. I cut from the top and bottom to keep versa button in same hole it came with. Only thing I forgot to do was leave a little bit of tubing below the bottom step for stacking. Actually works just fine, but if I did it again, I'd leave that little bit there. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any more questions.

I basically did the math to make the versa button close to the same spot as an original stick if that makes sense. I have had no problems with the stick kicking out or anything like that. I am not completely satisfied with the fit of the double steps though. Some are a tiny bit wobbly even after cranking down on them. Even added loctite to keep the nuts secure.

I cut mine to 24 with steps at 22. At this length u can reattach VB in one if the 2 existing holes left where the center step and stop have been removed. Those 2 holes r close together and I just used the hole that came closest to 1/3 the length of stick.

Now you guys have me questioning what I did. I think I just used the second steps hole for the versa button. And then drilled holes for the top step and stopper bolt.

Attachments

• 8AF034A5-E5FF-4F07-955D-A439DA27A8A3.jpeg
    8AF034A5-E5FF-4F07-955D-A439DA27A8A3.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 49
  • D5F24F88-A974-478D-B2BA-D24779B55913.jpeg
    D5F24F88-A974-478D-B2BA-D24779B55913.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 50
If they work, don't sweat it. It probably doesn't matter that much really.

I don't recall having to drill any holes when I shortened mine... Full length stick versa button hole became the location of the top step on shorty sticks, and the middle step hole was used as the new versa button location... I just chopped off an inch or so above that top (versa button on full length stick) hole as I occasionally run a CAYG aider I loop over that top 1" of post.
***I also used double steps, so I didn't need to make a hole for the stopper bolt! ***

Now you guys have me questioning what I did. I think I just used the second steps hole for the versa button. And then drilled holes for the top step and stopper bolt.
You will be fine. That's exactly what I did but now have double steps on each end so stopper bolt holes aren't used now.

I plan to use an aider also. I like the idea of leaving an inch stick up to hook the aider around. I added a double step up top. I figured I didnt really need it on the bottom. You guys who put them on the bottom.. now that you have them would you buy them again or is it fine without?

I’m doing the same as you. Adding an ultralight double step from DanO on the top. I don’t feel I need it on the bottom step.

I just did the math to maintain the same relative distance to the top and re-drilled. Basically keeping the proportion of the forces in the same spot on the stick, just on a shorter stick.

Back