• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dead On Range Finder

Jgetch

Want a simple and effective way to range deer while holding your bow at full draw to be as accurate as possible? The “dead on range finder” is probably my favorite addition to my bow that I have. For about $25 you get a range finder that is good out to about 50yards depending on your eye sight. This is a no buttons or battery set up. Nothing to fail. Simply put the belly pin on the belly and then shoot the pin that corresponds with the back pin. I haven’t ranged trees around my stand and tried to remember those distances in years because I can range the animal as they’re walking in, and at full draw for the shot. No fumbling with a laser as a deers approaching. You can stay still until you get the drawing opportunity and then get the final range with just a glance. Another great feature is it can go on any site or bow. There’s a 3m adhesive tape that attaches it to your site or bow (trad guys) and you out the pins in where needed. No resighting after I talk either. 97E80600-AE72-415A-B806-B9E2EE9F8295.pngIm sure some of you guys know about this but I hadn’t seen it mentioned anywhere on here.

Can you post actual pics of this on your bow sight?
And what about shooting out of a tree stand? Does that not mess with the ability to range an animal?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ill get some pics from my bow in a bit when I get home. No issues ranging from a tree. The angle doesn’t change enough unless the deer is directly underneath you. At 20yrds your still looking at the side of a deer ever 25’ up. If they’re right under you to maybe 15yards and your in a tree then it doesn’t work but if they’re that close then there is no reason to range them.

Am I right in assuming you are only using your top three pins, and that the bottom red dot on the left is what you are using as your “belly pin?” Also, how do you use this in practice if you are shooting at a bag target?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My fourth pin is set for 50 yards but that is just for practicing. So yes, the top three pins are 20/30/40 and the pins in the range finder correspond to the like colors of the sight pins. The bottom “belly” pin is actually orange. Tough to tell in the pic.

for practicing with my bag and fine tuning the range finder I have my bag marked with black marker. One mark on the bottom and one on top 17” apart which is what the instructions says is the average belly to back for white tails. (They also have directions for moose, elk etc) the instructions also have their suggestions for which holes to set the range finder pins in based on your draw length. When I set it up to the instructions and then went to my yardage’s to check it I didn’t have to adjust it at all but if your sight has a bigger or smaller circle you may have to make adjustments. When I am actually practicing I check my range with the range finder and then shoot the pin based on that. So instead of shooting from predetermined walked off ranges I’ll just walk to different spots in the yard, range and take the shot accordingly. I do believe this is an important part of familiarizing yourself to this tool. Just setting it up and confirming distances and then taking it out hunting is a recipe for mistakes. The first time I used this I did that and airmailed a nice buck by using the wrong pin because I wasn’t familiar enough with it.

Got em on all my bows; instant confirmation of my pre-ranged landscape 'yardage markers'. I do synchronize the ranging pin colors to my sight pins, just because. I've moved a couple of them from bow to bow at least 3 times. Just a straight up great aid to ethical shooting.

This is an interesting concept. Wonder if it will work with a single pin sight? I normally just shoot out to 30 yards only for hunting though... Self imposed limit this year. I didn't get as much practice as I normally do at longer distances. I may try this out next year.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

How is it in low light? When I hunt in planted pine trees it's dark even mid day.

I have one on my rh bow with the HHA single pin sight. Say for example, you have your sight set for 30yds, and the deer comes in,but stays at 40, or moves out to 40, you can verify the distance, and if you have practiced, you might know you need to hold high by 6” or whatever you setup needs. They work great. On mine, I got some 12” fibers and have them wrapped in a clear tubing to protect them, but it helps brighten them up some.

So ran into this on the internet. Saw some of you guys have used it. I tried the EZV last season and put it back in the box for a while. Verdict is still out. You guys who have used this the last few years are you still using it? Had success with it?

Back