• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Decent portable target for EZ V users

mtsrunner

So, I have jumped on the EZ V bandwagon. It hasn’t been perfect, but I think the benefits outweigh the challenges. It’s well documented that it really helps to practice with a 3D Target to get the most out of the EZ V.
I am using a DM Hoosier Daddy for most of my practice, but wanted something more portable for some occasions.

I just got the Kill Zone Target, which is basically a freestanding vitals section of the Hoosier Daddy and am somewhat satisfied with it.
Link:

I thought I would share the pros and cons.

Pros:
-Super portable at 7 pounds
-flat base = self standing
-It measures 13” across at the middle of the vitals, so it works great to frame the ‘V’
-3D structure allows for practice at angles
-fairly easy arrow pull
-$60 is reasonable
-scoring/vital outline is not so distinct that I can see if from 30+ yards. This makes it more realistic to me which I think is helpful for real hunting practice-real deer don’t have their vitals clearly marked

Cons:
- 7 pounds is a little on the light side. It definitely rocks if you hit it high. I haven’t had it tip all the way over, but it could. I don’t think it’s heavy enough to break an arrow if it tipped, but maybe could break a nock
- foam isn’t as thick as their full 3D targets, so it isn’t going to last forever. I think I will get pass throughs after maybe 500-1000 shots, but time will tell

Summary: I think it was worth it just to be able to throw in the truck and take a practice shot or two before hitting the woods.
When this one wears out, I might try the replacement mid section from a ‘baby daddy buck’. For $98 it might be worth the increase in price. It will definitely be heavier and more durable. It should still be fairly portable.

Here are some pics showing dimensions and typical penetration from 30 yards from my 449 grain arrow at about 285 FPS.

655a66d861e9a8d7f2b6f784bada9d8c.jpg
54acc2029b3786bc935ef18860e0ac7a.jpg
558e3d52fe29a4bf153baf0f9c541d8d.jpg

Have almost bought this target several times. Not so much for the EZV, although I do use one. More for it looks convenient to have in the truck during season. I like to shoot my bow at camp or at the truck during the middle of the day if I come out for lunch. Glad to hear you like it.

Got the full size target, the rest of the deer lol. I switched to the ezv last year and sold my hogg and hha.

Have almost bought this target several times. Not so much for the EZV, although I do use one. More for it looks convenient to have in the truck during season. I like to shoot my bow at camp or at the truck during the middle of the day if I come out for lunch. Glad to hear you like it.
I keep a target in my truck as well. I just bought a replacement core for a 3D target that was on clearance. Only issue I've had is that it's really light so if it doesn't have a backer it can rotate or spin if not hit center. I also bring it to the woods with me for practice so I can practice the exact shot to the deer trail or center of the feeding area. It helps to figure out how you should be set up for that spot and the reassurance of knowing you've made that exact shot is nice.

I keep a target in my truck as well. I just bought a replacement core for a 3D target that was on clearance. Only issue I've had is that it's really light so if it doesn't have a backer it can rotate or spin if not hit center. I also bring it to the woods with me for practice so I can practice the exact shot to the deer trail or center of the feeding area. It helps to figure out how you should be set up for that spot and the reassurance of knowing you've made that exact shot is nice.
Just buying an insert is a good idea, and probably cheaper. I kind of like this target though, because it has the front leg. Helps me better picture the deer. I always have one arrow in my quiver for practice. Keep a broadhead on it that I don't resharpen. Always take a practice shot before I pack up from morning hunt.

Just buying an insert is a good idea, and probably cheaper. I kind of like this target though, because it has the front leg. Helps me better picture the deer. I always have one arrow in my quiver for practice. Keep a broadhead on it that I don't resharpen. Always take a practice shot before I pack up from morning hunt.
I got the core for maybe $20.00 due to it being discontinued and in a damaged box. My quiver is the same way. I typically keep two "deer" broadheads then two used heads for small game and one fluflu for that stupid squirrel that wont shut up!

Back