• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deer anatomy lesson via dissection

That is a great video. Well worth the time. Thanks for putting it on here!

Sharing a good video that will be good for newbies and veterans alike. It is long, but very interesting.
That video should be a mandatory watch in hunters ed... awesome. Winke should also watch it. For the life of me I couldn't understand why he thought his shot on his buck last year was a good shot. Even more convinced now that he got stomach.

It is impossible to argue with the real thing and he does a more than thorough job on the details in this one. It wipes out a lot of old wives tales and things I've heard in deer camps my entire life. I have cut up so many deer I've figured out all this along my hunting career, but good reminders in it too.

Just turn them north bound and shoot them from south bound.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Good video! Gun hunters it’s easier Just to shoot them behind the eye, below the ear and above jaw line. Bonus is no damaged meat or tracking involved.

Double lung shot behind the shoulder doesn’t waste meat either.

With my luck I would try a head shot and the deer would turn its head and I’d blow its face off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think I watched this video last year. Very detailed and informative. I’ve learned a lot about deer by butchering quite a few of my own, but this guy really knows his stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hope you aren't serious. Head shots are slob shots.

Did some work on a deer cull a few years back. Head shots were mandatory. Take out the leader of a group, she would just collapse. Remaining deer would freeze. Then work your way down the line. It's not pretty, it's not great for putting bucks on the wall, and it's not for archery gear. But it's very effective.

Did some work on a deer cull a few years back. Head shots were mandatory. Take out the leader of a group, she would just collapse. Remaining deer would freeze. Then work your way down the line. It's not pretty, it's not great for putting bucks on the wall, and it's not for archery gear. But it's very effective.
A public forum that get read by novice hunters, non hunters and even anti hunters should not advocate taking head shots.
You said it's not pretty. I'll bet it's not.
For the overwhelming majority of the average hunter, head shots are not ethical.

I would certainly hope that even a novice hunter would understand that when using a rifle to cull deer, especially in urban environments where they pay professionals to take deer, that head shots are mandatory. I would also certainly hope that no bowhunter would ever attempt to shoot a deer in the head with an arrow or bolt.

I would certainly hope that even a novice hunter would understand that when using a rifle to cull deer, especially in urban environments where they pay professionals to take deer, that head shots are mandatory. I would also certainly hope that no bowhunter would ever attempt to shoot a deer in the head with an arrow or bolt.
First buck I ever shot, the taxidermist called me to tell me he found an arrow in the head. About 6-8" of arrow with broadhead intact. Shot was under the eye and the broadhead was down in the deer's throat all completely healed over.

Back