• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deer calls

302brownst

Anyone use a specific deer call brand and method? I wanting to possibly buy one

For some reason I've had a lot of success with the original primos Buck roar. Have called in many with the grunts and a surprising amount with short wheeze. Bought an extinguisher but haven't had much success with it.

I had a true talker grunt call years ago that I called in numerous deer with, also called in quite a few with a primos buck roar. I also tried one of the extinguisher grunt calls and it works good enough. Each year I find myself calling less and less, mostly just try to be silent and not have deer come in alert looking for other deer. But at times it does help, buck I killed with my bow I wouldn't of got a shot without grunting him in as he was going the other way originally. If you can find a primos buck roar it's my pick

I’ve had best results with the Extinguisher. Great variable tones, from young bucks to the Mui Grande!

Haydall's Non-Typical Inhale Grunt call is one of the best I've ever heard. It won't freeze up or sound weird when it gets cold either.

p_62934_0258.png

I quit carry a grunt call and started to make the noises with my own mouth. I have called in a couple does and 1 small buck with a grunt. i have found that when you use your mouth, they are not as threatening to bucks and seem to be more realistic. The only downside is I am not as loud as store bought calls. I do carry a mouth Turkey call while moving through the woods, to mask any sounds while shoveling around for a tree.

I’ve had the best luck with the primos can call. Had does run to me. Bucks turn off a trail and come to it. Never seen any negative responses to it. They just don’t last long. Gets dirty or wet and it’s ruined. So I tried a few grunt calls and got the extinguisher now. I tried to mimic the can call but hadn’t had any success with it other than a turn of the head to look my way.

I’ve had the best luck with the primos can call. Had does run to me. Bucks turn off a trail and come to it. Never seen any negative responses to it. They just don’t last long. Gets dirty or wet and it’s ruined. So I tried a few grunt calls and got the extinguisher now. I tried to mimic the can call but hadn’t had any success with it other than a turn of the head to look my way.

I’m with you on the can had a lot of good luck, brought a nice buck into 25 yards with it this past season and then I sent an arrow over top his back ..... your right also about them not lasting I buy a new one about every other season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used most of the calls out there. The best I have ever used is a Hook's Messenger grunt call. Called in and killed 2 bucks on public land with it this past year and called in a few other small bucks. For a doe call, I use the Primos can. But I dont use it like most by turning it upside down. If you blow through the little hole on the one end, you can really control the tone better. I have used the same can call for 10 years or so now and don't have problems since I use it that way instead of the typical method. Eliminates the sticking that occurs.

I quit carry a grunt call and started to make the noises with my own mouth. I have called in a couple does and 1 small buck with a grunt. i have found that when you use your mouth, they are not as threatening to bucks and seem to be more realistic. The only downside is I am not as loud as store bought calls. I do carry a mouth Turkey call while moving through the woods, to mask any sounds while shoveling around for a tree.
Last 7 bucks I've killed I've grunted in using just my mouth. Grunt tube not needed.

Serious need for a video from you mouth grunters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years ago I bought my first custom grunt tube from Mike Perkins Timber Freak Game Calls. It is a nice call, that has its purpose. But I've been carrying a Haydel's DG-87 non stop, since 1987.

Where I hunt the deer population isn't high enough for rattling/grunts to be very effective, but for years I have tried to find a warning blow call that both bucks and does use to see what you are when they are not sure. I had a very mature buck this year bust me walking out from a setup and I could have calmed him a little had I been better at answering back. I can do it just not as loud as they can.... in the woods.

Any body have any experience with these? I've had the wooden one for a long time but never used it an forgot I had it. It will start vibrating with the slightest breath. I bought the thin one last year when I thought it would be good to get one. That one needs more forceful breath to make a sound. The Extractor with the snort wheeze tube was on sale at Walmart this spring so I figured, why not. It is about halfway in breath needed to activate between the other two. I did not even know what a snort wheeze was yesterday. I've been watching videos on calling.

I use the a call made in mi, by Fred Abass, bow grunter, pins to your clothes, and is right by your mouth hands free. I must say though, I prolly have ran off more deer with grunts then called in. I never blind call, except when using decoys. Then I, I have found deer can be spooked when they come up on a deke , (deer) that they did not know would be there. I will use a call if the approaching deer starts to go the wrong way

burp, lol, also , any of you use fawn calls?. sounds dreadful, but I guess that is the objective

I used a fawn distress when they first came out. More out of “BS, they’re ain’t no way” kinda thing after watching the promos video about it (this was early to mid 90’s). Boy was I wrong,

They definitely work, but be advised that it’s not ideal for bow season (which, btw, is when they work best). When the does come in, and they will, they are wound up tighter than ****’s hat band. As on edge as they are they make for a really poor target for a bow. Another draw back is she’s most likely going to have been jacked up on adrenaline for several minutes before you can get a shot and in my experience that hasn’t always been a recipe for quality table fare. Of course though I wasn’t aging meat back then like I do now so who knows.

Regardless of all that, find you one of the promos fawn distress calls and go give it try. If nothing else you’ll be entertained.

Back