• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deer dogs

FLYIN_HAYN

What y’all use and how you use em?

i have a young gyp from a line I been working on that I’m really jazzed about. She is going to be used to track, indicate, flush, push em to me while still hunting in the Backcountry bogs. She short to medium range, hustles hard, gritty, listens good, mean nose like her grandma, blazing fast but she also can slow it down and stalk, she herd like a cattle dog but has tight nippy bay as well. She just starting to fire so I’m excited to really push her this coming season!

Attachments

• 2A5A8072-B10A-4232-BCC3-5B697AED8980.jpeg
    2A5A8072-B10A-4232-BCC3-5B697AED8980.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 40
What y’all use and how you use em?

i have a young gyp from a line I been working on that I’m really jazzed about. She is going to be used to track, indicate, flush, push em to me while still hunting in the Backcountry bogs. She short to medium range, hustles hard, gritty, listens good, mean nose like her grandma, blazing fast but she also can slow it down and stalk, she herd like a cattle dog but has tight nippy bay as well. She just starting to fire so I’m excited to really push her this coming season!

I use a fat beagle named Snoopy. He’s a great tracker.

When I lived in east NC deer hunting with dogs and a club or group of people was a social thing most Saturdays. Standers were put out with shotguns using buck shot and you DID NOT LEAVE YOUR STAND SPOT UNTIL TOLD TO for safety sake. There were no exceptions or you would not be asked to hunt again or would be kicked out of the club most often.

A pack of dogs were turned loose with drivers and the deer were pushed toward the standers.

Dogs could be most any breed or combo of breed. Some liked long legged runners. I did not because they run the deer too fast and run them out of the county. I liked short legged beagles that moved slow and usually the deer would run in circles and give you a better chance at them.

Most clubs had special dogs for trailing up a shot and hard to find deer.

My buddy and I had some land leased and we used no dogs and hunted from shooting houses or stands and we probably killed more deer like that than the dogging people ever did.

When I lived in east NC deer hunting with dogs and a club or group of people was a social thing most Saturdays. Standers were put out with shotguns using buck shot and you DID NOT LEAVE YOUR STAND SPOT UNTIL TOLD TO for safety sake. There were no exceptions or you would not be asked to hunt again or would be kicked out of the club most often.

A pack of dogs were turned loose with drivers and the deer were pushed toward the standers.

Dogs could be most any breed or combo of breed. Some liked long legged runners. I did not because they run the deer too fast and run them out of the county. I liked short legged beagles that moved slow and usually the deer would run in circles and give you a better chance at them.

Most clubs had special dogs for trailing up a shot and hard to find deer.

My buddy and I had some land leased and we used no dogs and hunted from shooting houses or stands and we probably killed more deer like that than the dogging people ever did.

That’s cool! I actually use my dogs quite differently. I still hunt with one dog and she indicates game for me. She also bays em up nice and tight or will spin and push em my way. I figured guys on the mainland used em like me.

Back