• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deer Hunting Go Kit

ThumbsMcGee

We talk a lot about saddles & such, but what’s in your kit for the hunt that you don’t take with you hunting? In talking about gambrels, field dress kit, dragging out method, knives, coolers, ect...

What do you have & why do you bring it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a kill kit, i keep with me in the car. Consist of : cooler with frozen milk jugs, game bags, space blanket to lay meat on while quartering, 2 x gallon ziplock bags for heart and loins, deer drag, marking tape for blood trails, OE razor knife with extra replaceable blades, paracord to hoist up animal if needed, and my tags.

We talk a lot about saddles & such, but what’s in your kit for the hunt that you don’t take with you hunting? In talking about gambrels, field dress kit, dragging out method, knives, coolers, ect...

Depends on where I'm hunting. If I hunt my hunt club, I just bring my large igloo cooler, haul the deer out on my 4 wheeler. We have a gambrel shack in the center of camp for everyone to use. I typically carry my Buck 102 to process all my deer. Every once in a while I'll use my outdoor edge replaceable blade if I have to process in the field.
If I'm public land then it's the same igloo cooler, deer cart, and I process at home/camp on my viking solution gambrel.

I hunt about 2-5 miles from my favorite deer butcher, and I live in a townhouse in a packed neighborhood, so processing at home is a no-go. my kill kit is pretty light and goes into the woods in a small reserved pocket of my pack: tags and sharpie, zip ties, compass and whistle for emergency, pocket knife, gutting knife with zipper blade so I don’t puncture guts, latex gloves (usually), a deer drag that hooks up to my harness or saddle, and a little thing of black pepper just in case the bugs are ridiculous. I also have a pocket sharpener for my knives and broadheads that I use every time I hunt.

I hunt about 2-5 miles from my favorite deer butcher, so my kill kit is pretty light and goes into the woods in a small reserved pocket of my pack: tags and sharpie, zip ties, compass and whistle for emergency, pocket knife, gutting knife with zipper blade so I don’t puncture guts, latex gloves (usually), a deer drag that hooks up to my harness or saddle, and a little thing of black pepper just in case the bugs are ridiculous. I also have a pocket sharpener for my knives and broadheads that I use every time I hunt.

what does the black pepper do for the bugs?

what does the black pepper do for the bugs?
TBH probably not much, but it’s supposed to keep ants and flies away from the surface of the meat as you drag the deer out. It’s also supposed to preserve the meat a tiny bit in hotter weather. I’ve only used it once or twice on the broadhead wounds if they were steaming out and it was really hot. I think I picked up the idea from my archery tech. I try not to use it because I want the butcher to get the cleanest meat possible, and it might be a snake-oil charm anyway lol.

I got you, never heard of using pepper as a bug repellent ! I just try to get my deer gutted, skinned, and quartered in the field, and then put in game bags and on ice asap! I hear you about getting the cleanest meat possible to the butcher.

My kit consists of blue nitrile gloves, a trash bag, and a havalon with spare blades. I bone them out in the field and just throw the meat in the pack. The gloves and trash bag generally just get used for hogs. Deer I'll just wash the pack when I get home. A little deer blood on my hands and gear doesn't bother me.

TBH probably not much, but it’s supposed to keep ants and flies away from the surface of the meat as you drag the deer out. It’s also supposed to preserve the meat a tiny bit in hotter weather. I’ve only used it once or twice on the broadhead wounds if they were steaming out and it was really hot. I think I picked up the idea from my archery tech. I try not to use it because I want the butcher to get the cleanest meat possible, and it might be a snake-oil charm anyway lol.
I know some Elk guys that will use pepper to keep flies off in warm weather...ants do not like it either.

I have seen the guys on TV using a acidic spray of some sort, not sure what it was! But thanks for information, will have to try on a occasion, see if it works!
I have also sprinkled pepper in trail cams after getting ants in them and it kept them from setting up shop again...try it if you ever have that issue.

It is pretty situational for me. I always have a kill kit with usual stuff with me. In the truck i always keep a field gambrel, meat saw, boning knives, large cooler, asst ziplocks, contractor bags, and small cutting board. I am currently in the market for a game cart to throw in there. I have had my eye on the Hawk model. My old back can't handle the drags anymore. I am just using the Hawk deer handle now and it does work pretty well and packs small.

I have a kill kit, i keep with me in the car. Consist of : cooler with frozen milk jugs, game bags, space blanket to lay meat on while quartering, 2 x gallon ziplock bags for heart and loins, deer drag, marking tape for blood trails, OE razor knife with extra replaceable blades, paracord to hoist up animal if needed, and my tags.
Frozen milk jugs are the way to go!

Steve Rinella and Randy Newberg talk about the milk jugs a lot. Used, refilled, and frozen water bottles do the job in smaller doses or tighter cooler space, and can be shoved inside the body cavity after gutting also.

Same... done it for years and it can’t be beat if you’re hunting some isolated areas. My bag is almost exactly the same, have rubber gloves too. I use a molle frame pack, based on affordability and the frequency of use

Back