• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dehydrator

vabwhntr

Looking to get a dehydrator. Any recommendations for one to make jerky with?

Strongly suggest getting a pellet smoker instead of the dehydrator. Best jerky I’ve ever made. Obviously bigger investment but it’ll do more than jerky.

I use an electric smoker for jerky. I own a Nesco dehydrator that I use for mushrooms and fruit. I have never used it for jerky though.

Hey guys make sure you freeze the meat for several months before you dehydrate any wild meat. It helps kill any bacteria and or pathogens. Field and Stream ran a piece on this about 5 years ago.

I haven't made jerky yet, but I need to, keep telling myself to get on with it already, I was gonna get a jerky cutting board to help keep the size consistent. I have a smoker, but it's charcoal and I'm not sure how long you would have to smoke the jerky? I've done plenty of long cooks with it, just not sure.

I do 3 pans of chips which makes about an hour an a half of smoke. Then just leave it in till it’s dry. Simple.

I second the pellet smoker. I don't have time with two little kids to babysit a normal smoker like I used to.

do you guys use a meat slicer when cutting your jerky?

I have made some jerky in the past but it always goes so quick I stopped making it. lol. I guess I just need to kill more deer.

I prefer to grind and use a cake decorating bag with a flat and wide nozzle. Way cheaper than jerky gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer to grind and use a cake decorating bag with a flat and wide nozzle. Way cheaper than jerky gun

I used to grind and use a jerky gun. That way was ok but I prefer it sliced.

I have a traeger and a Louisiana. Prefer the Louisiana but have yet to do jerky on that one. Bought a bunch of stackable racks to up my jerky production. I freeze the big cuts slightly then use a slicer. I use the coffee and cola marinade I found off the internet (hey grill hey site). Good chit.

I have a Salt on VitaPro. I like it. I have used used it and a smoker for jerky. I used it for a lot of things. Smokers are great for jerky but both work well.

I have a traeger and a Louisiana. Prefer the Louisiana but have yet to do jerky on that one. Bought a bunch of stackable racks to up my jerky production. I freeze the big cuts slightly then use a slicer. I use the coffee and cola marinade I found off the internet (hey grill hey site). Good chit.
I’ve been wanting a traeger. Hard to swallow the price though.

I do 3 pans of chips which makes about an hour an a half of smoke. Then just leave it in till it’s dry. Simple.

What kind of chips do you use? I've never made jerky but I've found that I don't like Hickory that much, I much prefer apple but will use whatever I have on hand. I'm definitely gonna make some jerky what cuts do you guys use? I just put a jerky board in my cart on amazon, not too bad for 15 bucks I guess I can give it a shot, lol!

Oh and I'm a big fan of the Big Green Egg, they are pricey but you can BBQ, Bake and Smoke, not many other smokers can do that. The fam really likes pizza on the BGE, it's awesome, Oh, what temps do you smoke the Jerky at? Probably around 225 for an hour and a half? @Wirrex, thoughts?

I always use alder. I usually use just scraps for jerkey and make sure to cut across the grain.

4fcca8c0120b99bfcd1f981a25c2a3f1.jpg
just buy a good season pack and about 4 hours in the oven, dehydrates, or smoker. Best advice I could give is when you taste and think it has about an hour left, pull the jerky. When it cools it will get tougher.

What temp would you run the smoker to dehydrate the jerky?

Back