• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Delaware public land trail camera ban

No real philosophical basis for this, but for some reason not allowing trailcams on public doesn’t bother me much, other than I like the Exodus camera guys and want to see them do well. The idea of broad swaths of state lands free from a bunch of guys dotting the woods with plastic / electronics boxes does sound kinda nice, but easy for me to say I don’t hunt as much public as I used to. Will be interesting to see if this becomes a trend, or just a few anomalies.

Sorry to hear. Easily the most "game changing" product I've used in years, maybe ever particularly cell cams. The shear knowledge I've gained is staggering and my tacticams have been responsible for me getting a crack at my target bucks 2 years running.

Expect more states to follow suit. Started out west and is wagon training east.

This is a good thing. It’s funny to think back just a few years to a time where you had to use your legs to figure things out and how crazy that is to some people now.

I remember a website called Surfline coming online years and years ago. It was a website that allowed the user to click on a surf spot and access live camera feed if the surf conditions. The days of learning weather and tides and getting up to go check the surf went out the window. Every single “secret” surf spot was blown over night and cameras went up everywhere. Now you just click a camera and check the waves from your phone and decide if you want to get out of bed or not.

Public land cams are the same theory. A private citizen can put up a hundred cameras on public land if they want to, then complain when someone else is in their spot (their surf spot for example) in a public area. Always funny to me to watch surfers fight over public beach waves. The same as public land hunters fighting over one tree or one spot.

I’m kind of agnostic on this. On one hand, they’re mostly used for intel on an area and don’t actually kill the deer. On the other, any way to curb guys “claiming” spots is ok with me. Nothing worse than scouting a spot and finding a stupid camera.

I'm conflicted about this. I was actually considering jumping into the cell cam method due to lack of time to scout. But then I see pictures of watering holes out west where a tree have dozen of cams from guide outfitters, because that's where you find the game.

But I debate internally with myself if cams is where I'm drawing the line in the sand for myself. Honestly, I have no problem with public land banning. It is a tool that many have learn to use successfully and there is nothing wrong with that, I'm pretty sure the people that use them would still be successful without them.

For myself, and I think its for all of us, trying to find the balance between easy and challenging in the way we hunt is constant. Or hunt 'smarter', but not too smart that we take away the reason we hunt. So the ban does not affect me, but I'm open to counter arguments.

My father in law has been trying to convince me to go with him and his buddies on their biennial bear hunt, but I always get out of it. Mainly because I have no interested in it because its not what I find enjoyable. He's basically going to be in a hunting 'resort' 3 hot meals a day with soft bed and WIFI. They'll take him over a bait location monitored year round. They have a butcher on staff waiting with a ATV to handle everything, even shipping the meat.

I have no problem with what he's doing, because he been hunting the hard way for decades and now he just want things easier. But its just too easy, I would not remember a sense of accomplishment when I look at the bear mount.

I'm not really in favor of banning things but I kinda like this 1

The last 2 or 3 years the amount of cameras I see out there is getting a little ridiculous. Huge battery boxes and solar chargers locked to trees are getting to be almost as bad as flagging tape.

If u guys are lucky a bunch of folks will be all butt hurt and quit so there will be less pressure the coming hunting seasons.....hehehe

Wouldn't harvest reports show how the camera ban affected peeps hunt seasons?

This started last year when they made you have to register your cameras on public. Guess they were surveying the number of cameras to see how many people they were going to puss off.

And I guess I won’t have to worry about my cameras getting stolen or messed with when people think I’ve found their spots. At least three cameras were turned around on trees last year so I wasn’t getting pictures anymore. I was just happy those weren’t stolen.

People are still going to put them out.

I'm not really in favor of banning things but I kinda like this 1

The last 2 or 3 years the amount of cameras I see out there is getting a little ridiculous. Huge battery boxes and solar chargers locked to trees are getting to be almost as bad as flagging tape.

If u guys are lucky a bunch of folks will be all butt hurt and quit so there will be less pressure the coming hunting seasons.....hehehe

Wouldn't harvest reports show how the camera ban affected peeps hunt seasons?

Being honest here. I agree and would be ok if some folks do this. To me its on the same level of a kid "I'm taking my ball home because we're not playing the game the way I want to"

I personally think there should be restriction on airgun/bowgun/airbow during archery season too.

I'm not sure on state to state regulations but we can't legally leave treestands on public land year round. Guys just end up buying Wally World specials and not worrying if they get confiscated.
With cheap and fairly quality trailcams, the trees will have Tascos hanging off them like apples.

I will say that one reason I steer away from some public is because of the amount of traffic. Has nothing to do with anything else except for people constantly coming and going. This may change that.
Still though, impossible to enforce in some areas.

This started last year when they made you have to register your cameras on public. Guess they were surveying the number of cameras to see how many people they were going to puss off.

And I guess I won’t have to worry about my cameras getting stolen or messed with when people think I’ve found their spots. At least three cameras were turned around on trees last year so I wasn’t getting pictures anymore. I was just happy those weren’t stolen.

Do you go by the same name on Insta?

Guys are going to freak. Most have never hunted without them.
Personally, I think it's hilarious. That learning curve is going to be rough.
Im glad i learned a long long time ago to kill bucks the hard or old school way without cameras, without you tube, without gps apps, etc. lol. They are all nice and make it a bit easier. Lmao
I use trail cameras because I enjoy being in the woods and they really are a good intel thing to use.
if they outlaw them. So be it. I will pick right back up where i was before them.
Probably be a-lot easier lol.
I don't rely anything on my trail cameras other than i know from season past if bucks are using an area at a specific time of the season.
My main thing i do is probably scouting until i find the sign in an area thats worth hunting.
if it is skeptical sign i keep moving and if i don't find sign worth hunting over i head back to the truck right before dark.
I never hunt just to hunt. I hunt because i know there is a pretty good chance of an encounter.
if guys started implementing this theory into how they hunt , “especially mobile hunters” would benefit them tremendously.

I sat in on the meeting. It was a **** show lol. 6 of the 7 chair people had zero clue what a trail camera even was. The one gentleman who was a hunter had to explain what they were and how they are used.
it was very comical

Back