• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Descending one stick method

Bertfogle

Hey Everyone! are there multiple ways to descend a tree Using the one stick method?

Back on topic - I've only heard of a few people that actually one-stick down. For me, no matter how I get up the tree I'm rappelling down every time. Safer and more fun! I think I'd rather bear hug and slide down than one-stick down.
Apologies for derailing the thread :grimacing:.
I agree 100%. @Bertfogle if you need some advice or help on methods and items needs just reach out. Be glad to assist.

One-sticking down sucks...seriously it’s a terrible decision but everyone should try it once. I just ordered a bunch of rappelling kit from Dan-O. I’m thinking of just changing my direct deposit to send my paycheck straight to him since he’s going to get it anyway.
Pm me for account numbers.

Lol so what would be the best gear or my necessary pieces I would need to rappel down?
Where is that rabbit hole emoji located again? :)

Seriously though, go ahead and get yourself a Safeguard. You'll eventually wind up with one anyway and this way you won't have to try to peddle ATCs or figure 8s later. Your rope and the bag you choose to stow your rope is a matter of choice/opinion. A delta link is a matter of convenience. Grab one if you don't want to have pull 35ft of rope through itself every time you engage a tree.

Here is a good video on rappelling. I have been recommending mechanical belay devices for rappeling for a long time. Some are Petzl Gri Gri, Madrock Safeguard and Lifeguard, Beal Birdie and Trango Cinch. Those are all I have. They all work to rappel. They are just easier to use than an ATC type device. Kind of like an automatic transmission as opposed to a manual transmssion.

Last edited:
Where is that rabbit hole emoji located again? :)

Seriously though, go ahead and get yourself a Safeguard. You'll eventually wind up with one anyway and this way you won't have to try to peddle ATCs or figure 8s later. Your rope and the bag you choose to stow your rope is a matter of choice/opinion. A delta link is a matter of convenience. Grab one if you don't want to have pull 35ft of rope through itself every time you engage a tree.
Awesome thank you!

Here is a good video on rappelling. I have been recommending mechanical belay devices for rappeling for a long time. Some are Petzl Gri Gri, Madrock Safeguard and Lifeguard, Beal Birdie and Trango Cinch. Those are all I have. They all work to rappel. They are just easier to use than an ATC type device. Kind of like an automatic transmission as opposed to a manual transmssion.
Great I’ll have to check all this out and start investing!!

Sometimes I rappel down, and sometimes I one-stick down, depending on how I plan on hunting that day. For bow season, I plan on rappelling down every time. Why? Because in bow season, I typically walk out to one specific, pre-determined spot and stay there for the duration of the hunt.

Whereas in gun season, I may be hunting in a small group where we all sit for a couple of hours in the morning and then meet up to perform small drives. If that's the case, I use a conventional style tether because I may be doing more walking than sitting throughout the day, over/through rough or thick terrain, and I have no need to carry 35' of extra rope around everywhere. If I post up during a drive, I can climb up and with 2 or 3 moves be at 15 feet or so.

I agree with everyone that rappelling is a lot more fun, which is why I plan on doing it 75% of the time. (In addition to the fact that I plan on SRT-ing at certain preset spots, and rappelling just makes sense)

However, don't let them fool you into thinking that one-sticking down is the most miserable thing in the world. For the longest time, I thought coming back down was a lot easier than climbing up. I guess a lot of it depends on your stick attachment method. Climbing down with a cam strap (my method) isn't that bad, whereas with a daisy chain or rope/cam cleat, it MIGHT be miserable.

Back