• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Disgusting but interesting!

fbwguy

Staff member
SH Member
Ok a little background info. I hunt 95 acres of private land that belongs to my elderly neighbor. It’s about 40% field and 60% wood. I maintain the land for him and have exclusive hunting rights. I do have one small issue, he has given another neighbor the right to walk his dogs on the property as long as he checks with me to ensure I’m not hunting. It’s been like this for years and it’s definitely an issue but I live with it and still harvest about 3 deer a year from it. Last Sunday while I was at church the neighbor went for his walk. How do I know? He called me Sunday afternoon with an embarrassing confession. As he was out on his walk, nature called and he had an emergency. He squatted and had a movement. While he was having a movement he saw a red light flash and realized he had been in the direct line of one of my cameras. He was super embarrassed but he called and warned me. Unbelievable but it happened. Interestingly I haven’t been out there in a week because I’ve been hunting public with some friends. I retrieved my SD cards yesterday and sure enough I had 3 1080p pics of him in all his glory. Here is the interesting part..... I have about 30 pics after the incident of deer coming thru that trail and every single one of them has stopped and smelled that pile!!!!! I find that highly unusual that human feces would be something they would investigate. I guess maybe we don’t need to worry about spooking deer if nature calls!!! Any thoughts?

Ok a little background info. I hunt 95 acres of private land that belongs to my elderly neighbor. It’s about 40% field and 60% wood. I maintain the land for him and have exclusive hunting rights. I do have one small issue, he has given another neighbor the right to walk his dogs on the property as long as he checks with me to ensure I’m not hunting. It’s been like this for years and it’s definitely an issue but I live with it and still harvest about 3 deer a year from it. Last Sunday while I was at church the neighbor went for his walk. How do I know? He called me Sunday afternoon with an embarrassing confession. As he was out on his walk, nature called and he had an emergency. He squatted and had a movement. While he was having a movement he saw a red light flash and realized he had been in the direct line of one of my cameras. He was super embarrassed but he called and warned me. Unbelievable but it happened. Interestingly I haven’t been out there in a week because I’ve been hunting public with some friends. I retrieved my SD cards yesterday and sure enough I had 3 1080p pics of him in all his glory. Here is the interesting part..... I have about 30 pics after the incident of deer coming thru that trail and every single one of them has stopped and smelled that pile!!!!! I find that highly unusual that human feces would be something they would investigate. I guess maybe we don’t need to worry about spooking deer if nature calls!!! Any thoughts?
Does a bear crap in the woods? If deer freaked out every time they came across poop from another species, they'd never quit running. Maybe your neighbor ate corn the previous day.....

Also, gives a whole new meaning to "organic feed".

Granted these aren't your average deer but at my parents neighborhood they are overrun with deer who have no real human fear. Whenever i go over there i always watch them and I've noticed they are always curious about anything new. New flowers or trees planted always get investigated, dog pee, new mailbox, etc..... They really are curious and i think that can be used to your advantage sometimes

Yep, deer are curious creatures. I was prepping a tree Friday afternoon with my Dewalt 20V impact driver and bolts-it’s loud. I wasn’t worried because I wasn’t going to hunt that spot this weekend. I was about 20 feet up, putting in my ROS and looked up to see a spike 25 yards and closing. He stopped at about 15 yards and watched me finish drilling, sawing a couple of limbs and climbed almost all the way down before he bolted.

As far as the trail camera, I have a similar story. I walk for exercise in my neighborhood (mountain community). Sometimes I will walk for over 2 hours and need to pee. One time I stopped at the end of a cul de sac and peed. I looked up and was perfectly centered on a trail camera. I waved, shrugged my shoulders and moved on. Oh well.

Ah the elusive Corn-eyed Brown trout. Very rare species. At least it didn’t end in a 2 Deer 1 Cup situation.

Back