• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Distance

Robbo

What’s the max yardage you feel confident making a kill shot on a whitetail?

I would shoot 20 yds if everything felt right but I much prefer them at 17 yds or less. My last two deer were both under 12 yds.
This^^
Although I did make a perfect 35 yard heart shot once. I had a 15 yard errant hit on the buck due to my top bow limb contacting a branch as I released. My shot went high and a little back, a loin hit. He bolted but stopped at 35 yards. I nocked another arrow and took a desperation shot since I'd already wounded him. I centerpunched the heart. I'd never attempt that shot on a healthy deer.
I like 14-16 yards the best, but I have killed a few at 20.

I would shoot 20 yds if everything felt right but I much prefer them at 17 yds or less. My last two deer were both under 12 yds.

This^^
Although I did make a perfect 35 yard heart shot once. I had a 15 yard errant hit on the buck due to my top bow limb contacting a branch as I released. My shot went high and a little back, a loin hit. He bolted but stopped at 35 yards. I nocked another arrow and took a desperation shot since I'd already wounded him. I centerpunched the heart. I'd never attempt that shot on a healthy deer.
I like 14-16 yards the best, but I have killed a few at 20.

What these gentlemen said, pretty much sums me up as well.

This is a loaded question. Here's why I think that, some people might be able to hit an apple at 40 yards. Is that good enough to shoot a deer? People will say that a trad bow is too slow the deer will react, but from the animals I have shot at with my recurve they almost never react to my shot just the arrow hitting something.

To me my point on distance 32 yards is an easier shot than 15 yards.

This is a loaded question. Here's why I think that, some people might be able to hit an apple at 40 yards. Is that good enough to shoot a deer? People will say that a trad bow is too slow the deer will react, but from the animals I have shot at with my recurve they almost never react to my shot just the arrow hitting something.

I tend to agree with it being a loaded question and I have seen it turn into a pissing contest too. I think it is very important for every bowhunter to understand the max distance they can consistently stay well within the killzone of the quarry they are hunting. I also think it is equally important for every bowhunter to understand the circumstances under which they are considering a shot as that can impact whether a shot is advisable or not based on the deer's behavior and /or body language. Assuming the hunter is cappable of making the shot, sometimes a longer shot may be the better option if the deer is relaxed rather than if it may wind you when it gets into a closer shooting lane or body position but is now alert or nervous.

My maximum range is 30 yards. Anything outside of that and I am just observing. And that 30 is MAXIMUM meaning it would have to be some world record buck (which it never will be). 20 and in is my maximum effective range. I train from the saddle and the ground at twenty on 3D targets at all angles like an NBA player would practice free throws. I then move in to 15 then 10 yards because like a pro golfer, we miss gimme's also. To me, the apple at 50 is great for mental strength and confidence, but the game always comes down to free throws in the dramatic sports movie analogy. 20 yards and in for me.

I like them close. 5-7 yards. I did shoot my second doe at 25 this year. I’m similar to those above. I’ve passed 18 yard shots because it just didn’t feel right or my confidence was low. I’ve also not really ever shot at a deer past 22 until this past season.

I think my person max is 25. 5-12 preferred

You'll have 2 point on distances (similar to how every pin on a bow sight is dead on at 2 yardages). Have you figured out your second, closer one? It might only be 5 yards.

Im new to recurves and my shots open up past 10 yards.
Hoping to gain consistency and confidence out to 20 yards.
Im enjoying the process - do not think i will set goals to shoot past 20 but hope to practice out to 25 once everything else tighten ups.
Appreciate the realistic feedback here.

I’m a big fan of 20 yards max, although 15-18 is ideal. I know I can consistently hit the heart/lung area at that distance. If the vitals are not presented favorably for the shot I’m not shooting regardless of the distance. The object for me is to kill the deer and not have to chase it all over hell’s half acre before it dies.

I needed to read this. That I am not the only one struggling for consistency out to 30. Keeping it 20 and in is definitely where I need to be. Thanks guys for keeping it real..

One thing I learned when switching to traditional was I had to change the way I hunt. I had to scout and set up for closer shots which meant I had to hunt lower and closer. The first couple years I was setting up higher and farther and realized I had to change my methods to get closer. I think it made me a better hunter. Also don’t be afraid to hunt from the ground. Especially in standing corn. I hunted a couple farms for many years and killed a bunch of deer in the corn.

Put me squarely in the "like'm close" category when hunting with traditional gear. That being written, most folks could stand to learn the 'game' of scoring well on an NFAA 300 round to extend their range to at least 20 yards, or more.

I am fairly confident with my recurves out to about 30 yards, but I am NOT a purist and use a thin (1/16") strip of white electrical tape as a sight marker on my hunting risers. In essence, I am a gap shooter who does not have to rely on knowing my gap! I concentrate hard on my target and am aware of my arrow lining up under the target and where the blurry white line is adjacent to the target.
I can "gap" fairly effectively from this known mark when needed.

As an added bonus if you put 2 tape marks on your riser you can create a hasty range finding system identical to how the Dead-On rangefinder works. It works.

Despite that, I still like'm close.

rangefinder on riser.jpg

This is what I am trying to articulate with words; I am not that good with words...come to think of it, I'm not that good with numbers either.

Last edited:
Back