• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Distel and Schwabisch slipping?

judd1980

Hi all,

Started playing around today with both the Distel and Schwabisch hitches to replace the Prusik.

Both were installed on Samson predator rope with a Sterling 28” eye to eye cord.

When setting up both, I got slippage when I really put weight into it.

It was less of an issue with the Schwabisch, but I could still get it to slip.

Is it just a matter of dressing and using them a few times to wear them in a bit?

Thanks in advance and happy weekend!

Distel pic followed by Schwabisch.

I will say, I like the simplicity of the Schwabisch better...

Attachments

• 75ED4E69-B324-4F51-A14B-FBFCAF694DE4.jpeg
    75ED4E69-B324-4F51-A14B-FBFCAF694DE4.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 32A4093A-9057-453D-B4EA-0F73E74795EF.jpeg
    32A4093A-9057-453D-B4EA-0F73E74795EF.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 109
You could try one more wrap on the top of the distel, should give more bite. I have no slipping with the distel.

You could try one more wrap on the top of the distel, should give more bite. I have no slipping with the distel.
Once the weather here gets better,WNY, I'm going to try changing from the prusik to either the distel or schwabisch. So if it slips I'll add another wrap. Do you have a preference on either one? Thanks for advice on adding another wrap.

I don't know if adding another wrap on top will help or not. Maybe someone else will chime in with an answer, was just a suggestion a guy could try. When I do 4 and wraps on top and 1 under where they cross, I have no slipping, and it releases nice too. I have never ran a schwabisch so can't speak to it.

i had an issue with my distel not catching on my 9mm htp rope, not sure if it was because the rope was too stiff or because it didnt follow the 60-80% rule. i wound up going back to a mechanical prusik, since i couldnt find an eye to eye smaller than what i was using. your ratio is right there in the sweet zone at around 70% though

Well, after setting and dressing the cord a few more times, it seems to be grabbing much better. I setup and ground level and couldn't get it to slip at all. Guess the key is dressing and getting the slick ropes worn in a little bit...

Back