• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Distel modification

michigandrake

Do you guys see any problems running a Distel hitch like this? It seems to work at ground level but I want to be sure before I go up with it. I tried it with the traditional two loops and I did not like the bulk at the base of my carabiner.
distel mdified2.jpg

Can’t speak to if it’s acceptable, but if it is, could you take in some of that length to the biner?
That length is by design. A shorter Prusik lead gave into a bad habit of grabbing my tether right above my hitch and I had some minor slippage because of it. A little scary 25' up. I found with a longer lead on my Prusik and a knot in about the middle of that lead it gave me a safe spot to grab and kept my hitch loaded. I want to switch to the Distel but I want to keep the feel of my Prusik.

10-4. Following for someone more experienced with knots to chime in on the original question.
To answer your question...YES you could. You may have a tougher time creating the double fisherman's knot due to length left on the tag ends after creating the distal hitch. Downfall I see to this is having to untie it all to remove the hitch if/when you need to.

To answer your question...YES you could. You may have a tougher time creating the double fisherman's knot due to length left on the tag ends after creating the distal hitch. Downfall I see to this is having to untie it all to remove the hitch if/when you need to.
Do you guys see any problems running a Distel hitch like this? It seems to work at ground level but I want to be sure before I go up with it. I tried it with the traditional two loops and I did not like the bulk at the base of my carabiner.
View attachment 26821
I switched to a distel last season when I went to oplux. At first, the way it elongated kinda freaked me out, especially at height. But it always held (of course I got on here to ask). Also had the end of my tether on my carabineerScreenshot_20200405-132951.png

Thanks ..... I am kinda high maintenace anyways that knot goes with the territory ..... lol

I switched to a distel last season when I went to oplux. At first, the way it elongated kinda freaked me out, especially at height. But it always held (of course I got on here to ask). Also had the end of my tether on my carabineerView attachment 26844
I am sold on the knot ....... way easier to break than the Prusik I used last year. I am just a creature of habit and I have grown used to the feel of my hitch lead.

why not just use a Klemheist?

That's what I would recommend, as it was recommended to me after I asked about the stretch in my distel. But the distel had never slipped and I got done hunting before I got off my butt too change it, lol.

That looks like it would work. I will put it on my to-do list this week.

I’ve found the distel much easier to adjust than the klemheist, but ymmv. I also really like this idea for using the distel with the double fisherman’s so you don’t have 2 hitches taking up real estate on the biner- seems to reduce the chance of improper loading

Nothing wrong with that at all, this is how I run mine on my bridge except its an endless loop, but I usually tie my loops like yours, I really like the distel hitch even when fully loaded you can adjust without issues, holds really nicely as well. I now also run the distel for DRT as well, so everything's the same I can do it in the dark no issues and its easy to set in the dark as well, for me there is no downside regards wayne

I’ve found the distel much easier to adjust than the klemheist, but ymmv. I also really like this idea for using the distel with the double fisherman’s so you don’t have 2 hitches taking up real estate on the biner- seems to reduce the chance of improper loading
I tried the Klemheist and I agree the Distel is easier to release.

Back