• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ditch my linesmen

sdonx

SH Member
I am all in on the Oplux band wagon for sure. I love the stuff. It has me reviewing my stuff again for not only weight but for compactness also.
I am thinking of using my Oplux tether/ ropeman 2 set up for my linesmen's line and then switch it to my tether when at height.
I carry a 1/4" Amsteel whoopie now as my back up linesmen for branches anyway. I can use the whoopie when I am switching the Oplux.
Anyone else do this?

I do this. My backup is a daisy chain Amsteel but yes, same difference. Less bulk, almost zero added weight. I don’t know why this is not commonplace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do this. My backup is a daisy chain Amsteel but yes, same difference. Less bulk, almost zero added weight. I don’t know why this is not commonplace

I like to have backups. It is part of my risk averse and conservative strategy. I have two of (oplux, jammy, hitch tender, 2 biners) exactly the same and either can be used as LB or Tether. I also use sitdrag/fleece with RCH backup. I like to have extra backup to RCH belay loop. But that is just me and my predilections.

Isn’t that rope 8mm?

A ropeman 1 isn’t suited for use with that rope. Smallest a Ropeman 1 is rated for is 9mm.

Yup, I use a Ropeman 2 which is rated for 8-13mm

Reactions: PJC
Anyone else do this?

I do.

Oplux/Jammy on the way for LB/Tether.

Going back to an Amsteel backup so that I can just use one Oplux/Jammy as both LB & Tether. Amsteel gets deployed when moving the Oplux.

Feels like only bringing one rope. Way more compact system (webbing bridge also). Worth the extra risk (Amsteel backup LB) to me, but would never advocate others to do so.

Also loving the 8mm Oplux rope. I still have factory amsteel bridge on mantis, but the other day I used the 8mm oplux as a lineman's belt & adjustable bridge with Beal jammy prusik, tender and carabiner. I was liking the adjustablity.

Am I missing something here.. What is the main purpose of this?
I do something similar to this to avoid using two ropemans. Basically climb with my tether as a lineman’s with the ropeman on it, and have a lineman’s girth hitched to my hip in a pouch in case of branches and when I get to hunting height use it while I am attaching my tether.

Am I missing something here.. What is the main purpose of this?

Also I am looking forward to only one sys hauler, I use two now.
I moved my Doyles from my Mantis to my backpack too.
My saddle will be so streamline...I could even try wearing it in...I never do.

Are you carrying extra binders to attach the secondary lineman’s once you deploy it or how you swapping over?

Are you carrying extra binders to attach the secondary lineman’s once you deploy it or how you swapping over?
I do. I have an ultra lightweight Metolius mini climb rated wire gate biner that hangs on my saddle ready to attach the Amsteel backup whoopie LB which is girth hitched to one side lineman loop and stuffed in my pocket (weighs next to nothing). Not saying this is safe or recommended, just what I am comfortable with to cut weight and bulk. Feels like carrying only one rope. If I fall in the 15 seconds that the Amsteel backup is in use and it does not work to keep me hugged to tree as intended, then I guess my time is up on this rock. Call it a Darwin Award winner.

Also I am looking forward to only one sys hauler, I use two now.
I moved my Doyles from my Mantis to my backpack too.
My saddle will be so streamline...I could even try wearing it in...I never do.

I am not a huge fan of wearing mine in. I just researched what you have. That's some light stuff! Did y'all buy the 100' section?

Back