• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ditching the pack

hoff1ck

As the title states, I’m looking for an efficient way to ditch my pack. I’ve been carrying a Kifaru Stryker XL with muddy pro sticks and a homemade XOP seat platform. I used to film, but I’ve gotten away from it and would really like to simplify things again. Recently switched to the XOP edge and their 2 step sticks. Was hoping they’d pack up well enough to just use backpack straps, but I can tell that is going to leave a lot to be desired. It’ll likely work to get me through this year, but wondering what some of you guys are doing to not have to carry a pack.

For context, I can carry most things I absolutely need in my bino harness and pockets. I hunt mostly private and my furthest walk is probably a half mile. I hunt elk too, so I’ll always have the Kifaru at my disposal. Also have a small pouch from EWO I can strap to the platform as needed. I might be trying to fit a square peg in a round hole by doing this with a saddle platform, which makes the .5 from LWCG intriguing. Just costly for something I’m not sure I’ll like. I know you guys are an innovative bunch, so just looking for some other ideas.

Here is my setup. Maybe it will help.

Recon saddle. Battle belt. Mission w/sticks.

Belt is worn over the recon and holds whatever pouches and also sticks up the tree. On the back there is paracord compression to hold a jacket. Also looking at a small buttpack.

Basically pack straps on the platform with sticks cinched down. Platform half rides on the jacket held by the belt. Keeps weight on the hips and metal off my back.

Belt wraps around the tree at height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is my setup. Maybe it will help.

Recon saddle. Battle belt. Mission w/sticks.

Belt is worn over the recon and holds whatever pouches and also sticks up the tree. On the back there is paracord compression to hold a jacket. Also looking at a small buttpack.

Basically pack straps on the platform with sticks cinched down. Platform half rides on the jacket held by the belt. Keeps weight on the hips and metal off my back.

Belt wraps around the tree at height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This VERY is similar to what I do: Sling saddle without anything attached to it. Over it, a battle belt with 2 dump pouches for ropes on each side and a small molle zipped pouch for a flashlight, multitool and misc. I also have gear looks on the belt to carry sticks ready to install. Predator pack on my back with the platform and 2-4 sticks attached to it. Extra layers if needed go on top of the sticks tied with 2 bungee cords. Range finder in my pocket.

Sticks and predator hang on my shoulders but they also rest on my belt so hips absorb part of the load.

No large pack anymore.

I hunt public, sometimes 200yd from my car, sometimes 1.5 miles from it. Sometimes walk a nice trail, most times have to cruise through a cattail marsh. Less weight and less bulk is always important to me.

As the title states, I’m looking for an efficient way to ditch my pack. I’ve been carrying a Kifaru Stryker XL with muddy pro sticks and a homemade XOP seat platform. I used to film, but I’ve gotten away from it and would really like to simplify things again. Recently switched to the XOP edge and their 2 step sticks. Was hoping they’d pack up well enough to just use backpack straps, but I can tell that is going to leave a lot to be desired. It’ll likely work to get me through this year, but wondering what some of you guys are doing to not have to carry a pack.

For context, I can carry most things I absolutely need in my bino harness and pockets. I hunt mostly private and my furthest walk is probably a half mile. I hunt elk too, so I’ll always have the Kifaru at my disposal. Also have a small pouch from EWO I can strap to the platform as needed. I might be trying to fit a square peg in a round hole by doing this with a saddle platform, which makes the .5 from LWCG intriguing. Just costly for something I’m not sure I’ll like. I know you guys are an innovative bunch, so just looking for some other ideas.
What does your seat platform look like?

What does your seat platform look like?

I recently bought the XOP edge and their backpack straps. So it’s just the platform with the sticks stacked on the platform and held down with the strap. I do have some bundeze from 3D Genesis printing coming more for strap management on the sticks, but thinking I might also be able to go around the platform as well to snug things up. Right now as is, they sticks just don’t stay stacked well trying to carry it on my back similar to how a stand would carry, which was my initial hope.

My other platform is just a standard XOP seat made into a platform with EWO components. Worked really well, just didn’t carry super well because it didn’t fold up that compact.

I’ve been thinking on getting a small chest or sling pack to hold my cransford tree steps and a couple odds and ends. Been really liking down sizing and being mobile

Reactions: JPS
Fanny packs work great if there is no need to pack a critter out. you might look at the Rogan from Kifaru. Paired with your bino harness, it would probably cover most if not all of your needs.

Back