• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY 3 ounce deer hoist

mtsrunner

I got to try out my DIY 4:1(ish) hoist yesterday.
657a3f5bb839d2e2666f685d9bc69031.jpg
0081c6959162449110fefe9789d8e8df.jpg
b97171b6f8820588872204a41aaec19e.jpg

Materials:
25’ 7/64” Amsteel
4 SMC descender rings
1 Loop Alien XL (ripstopbytheroll.com)
1 12” Dynaglide continous loop
1 aluminum arrow toggle

I like this because I only need one limb. No need to tie off to another tree because the loop alien makes a fixed anchor and the the toggle fixes the height when it hits the ring. I use a clove hitch on the toggle and raise it up the line like doing the PCT method for bear bagging.
I did use a stick wrapped around the Amsteel when raising the deer to make it easier on my hands.

I realize this isn’t a true 4:1 because there is some loss due to friction on the rings. I was able to hold this deer (probably around 140#) easily when hoisted, though.

I’m going to make an even lighter version by using Dynaglide instead of Amsteel and 4 Ronstan shocks instead of the rings.
I also don’t need to carry the arrow toggle because I already have carbon bolts in my pack. One of those bolts would work just as well.

Edit 12/30/19.

Made some changes to improve this setup:

Dynaglide instead of Amsteel

Double micro pulleys instead of rappel rings.

Titanium bear toggle instead of arrow shaft.

Last edited:
I think I am getting the gist of theirs but if you could give more info or post a video I would appreciate it. Love the concept especially not having to tie off to another tree. Would definitely come in handy working in the garage processing a deer.

Here a couple of ways to lock the height and make and anchor the line using the Loop Alien XL:

Here is a close up of my method of locking off the line:
15e84abed9671f7835314c332a4bd9a5.png

The Loop Alien is really light, so I had to attach my tether carabiner to get enough weight to toss it over the limb. No big deal, as I always have a carabiner with me.

Last edited:
I was already planning to put one of these together after the season, but I got to see it in person yesterday while spending some time climbing and checking out gear with @mtsrunner. This is extremely light, easy and fast to use, and compact enough to satisfy any weight weenie and a must have for anyone that plans to pack out your meat instead of the entire deer. This is a great share!

This would have made caping my buck in the forest a lot easier this year. Great idea.

Back