• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY 3D printed stabilizer

heretic

SH Member
I've been shooting my current setup with a single 9" Trophy Ridge static stabilizer for quite a while now without issues. However recently I upgraded my rest to a Hamskea limb driven drop away and the added weight was just enough (in combination with my quiver and sight) to make my bow feel overly lopsided when at full draw. It shouldn't make much of a difference on those close range shots however I noticed I was struggling to stay consistent at range (60+ yards).

It was at this point that I figured a side bar couldn't hurt until I looked up the prices for stabilizer kits. After spending a sizeable chunk of cash on a new rest I couldn't justify the additional cost of of a stabilizer setup. Fortunately with a 3D printer and a half hour or so playing around on Fustion 360, I was able to come up with the following monstrosity.

In addition to the 3D printed end caps you'll need the following:
I cut the carbon fiber tube with a dremel. To ensure the end was cut square I wrapped a section in painter's tape, colored a black ring around the tape with a sharpie, and then wrapped a second bit of painter's tape as a guide to cut with my dremel.

stabilizer 1.jpgstabilizer 2.jpgstabilizer 3.jpgstabilizer 4.jpgstabilizer 5.jpgstabilizer 6.jpgstabilizer 7.jpgstabilizer 8.jpg

Anything with carbon gets me interested...nice work! Will ask questions in due time!

Wish I would have seen this before I set my bow up. This is awesome

U hunt with those bars on ur bow?
Not really. I never needed a side bar for the whitetail woods since the first thing I do when I get setup in the tree is take off my quiver. I did however bring the side bar when I went to CO to chase elk for the 2021 season. They held up fine in the back country for two weeks. Eventually I came to the conclusion it wasn't worth all the effort to lug all that extra weight around for little to no reason.

Since then I've adopted the shorter bar as my main stabilizer and use only that. I figure if I need to take a longer shot out west I'll have the time to take off my quiver.

When you are backpacking into the backwoods you dont want any deadweight after just 2 days.even just covering ground all day for a single day hunt.i understand back east alot Of people treestand hunt deer.and carying scafolding and a strap on folding chair a half mile across flat land is easy when thats all you need to do.hunting the west is clearly different....not everyone understands the differences.its easy to say everything dont matter to deer when hunting a whitetail out of a tree.but we have mule deer ,blacktail deer,antalope bighorned sheep,rocky mountain elk,rosivelt elk,mountain lions and bears.alot of different things matter.all hunting gear should be modulare to the diversity of hunts.1 trick poneys are useles if you dont need that trick.dope work my dude.have you climbed any trees while hunting elk?

have you climbed any trees while hunting elk?
Not yet! Every year I bring my saddle just incase I find a good spot to setup, however each year it stays in the truck. Most of the places I've found enough elk sign to warrant climbing a tree are far enough away from the truck/trailhead that it's a hike in with camp on your back scenario. As much as I love saddle hunting, I'm not packing in a saddle + climbing gear on top of the 40 lbs of gear I need to backcountry hunt.

That might change this year however as I believe I've identified a major travel corridor in an aspen grove between bedding and feed in the unit I'll be applying for. The "short" way is not too far from the truck but looks rough enough to turn away most hunters. If I can confirm my suspicions with boots on the ground I could definitely see myself setting up some paracord presets and giving it a shot.

Not yet! Every year I bring my saddle just incase I find a good spot to setup, however each year it stays in the truck. Most of the places I've found enough elk sign to warrant climbing a tree are far enough away from the truck/trailhead that it's a hike in with camp on your back scenario. As much as I love saddle hunting, I'm not packing in a saddle + climbing gear on top of the 40 lbs of gear I need to backcountry hunt.

That might change this year however as I believe I've identified a major travel corridor in an aspen grove between bedding and feed in the unit I'll be applying for. The "short" way is not too far from the truck but looks rough enough to turn away most hunters. If I can confirm my suspicions with boots on the ground I could definitely see myself setting up some paracord presets and giving it a shot.
This is the reason i push the ultra lite .i got my system down to 3 an a half pounds toto,saddle,2t.climbing system,and ring of steps.so it could go with my backpacking overnight system ,,and you know how that is.we need to not only catch up to but .must serpas the ultralite backpacking comunity.we dont just need a full camp but also our hunting gear ontop of that.and the crap is heavy.sorry for the hijack.im a troll

Back