• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY aider

DanielB89

What are you guys using to keep the steps spread apart? I have seen some guys using pvc, I am just not sure what the standard is.

**This will be a multi step inline aider that I am wanting to sew something above the steps to be sure they stay open**

Last edited:
Hey Daniel the one step Amsteel aider I bought from @DanO has a piece of small diameter automotive hose installed to keep spread out

59979D81-BFE9-4BA7-A3D5-DABE7B5BB05E.png59979D81-BFE9-4BA7-A3D5-DABE7B5BB05E.png

If you get tube webbing you can insert small piece of rope in it and close it up I have done it that way as well as sewn a extra strap to foot location to keep it open. It doesn’t have to be rigid. I have used automatic rubber tubeing as well and slid the strap thru it and just wrapped it with electrical tape

If you get tube webbing you can insert small piece of rope in it and close it up I have done it that way as well as sewn a extra strap to foot location to keep it open. It doesn’t have to be rigid. I have used automatic rubber tubeing as well and slid the strap thru it and just wrapped it with electrical tape

updated the post.. This particular piece needs to be rigid.

Can always split a piece of pvc then slip over tubing then wrap tape over it. Will work

I printed a flexible piece to keep mine open. Works great!
230c40857ca16a90c5cd05f6383420ea.jpg
13a63be440486d57648d9cba71ff2c05.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Climbing manufacturers sometimes use biothane webbing (look it up on strap works) which is webbing with a vinyl laminate. Just sew it on top or you could probably slip a smaller piece inside. You could look at pro made multi step aiders (there's some french word for them also....etries?) and see how they made them (we borrowed this concept from mountain climber, etc and some people use climbing aiders).

My aider (1" blue water tubular webbing) has a piece of climbing rope (predator) wrapped several times with gorilla brand duct tape, slid into the webbing, and then a few stitches on either side of the rope to keep it in place. In time, it forms into a perfect U to fit your boot. I never though the rigid outer pipes seemed like sure fitting (seems you could roll off of it or it is too straight and doesn't guide your foot to the deepest part/center). But I've never used it, so I don't know.

I have a "pocket aider" of the same length that is 5/8" webbing and the spreader is just several wraps of duct tape on the outside of the webbing.

I have a 3 step DIY CAYG aider for my Stepps made from 1" tubular nylon. On the face of each step of my aider I sewed a length of flat nylon that was fairly stiff for the sole of my boot to contact, also I have about a 2" strip of the same flat nylon sewn at the opposite side of each foot loop to slightly spread the loop from the 'top'. If you spread this 'top' portion of the foot loop as you sew it, you may be surprised how well this works to keep the loops open when climbing. This aider has alternating steps (not like a ladder). The whole thing folds up nicely when carried in my Stepp bag but pops open wide enough for a size 13 boot when climbing down the tree in the dark.

I used 3/8" rope I had from a set of sticks. It was tough to sew by the ends as I cut the rope long(lesson learned). I bought some huge zipties for stuff like this, but forgot about it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201208-192919_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201208-192919_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
Back