• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Built in Knee Pads

Bach55

I was looking at some of the high end hunting gear while dreaming of hitting the lottery and saw a few pants with built in knee pads. Has anyone every taken a normal pair of hunting pants and modified them to accept built in knee pads? I’ve been using a ROS this year with no knee pads. I’ve been able to manage so far, but I can definitely see where they’d be a plus. I’m not crazy about the kinds with straps, though. The built in style definitely seems appealing.

Interested to hear everyone’s thoughts and/or experiences.

Are you running a pad on the tree? Works real well to cut a cheap foam butt pad in half and attach ot to the tree with a little 9 inch bungee cord with the hooks flared a bit and sharpened.

In regards to adding knee pads to pants, my first thought is that BDU pants have double layered knees. All you would have to do is cut a slit in the top layer and slide some foam in.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The newer bdu pants (digital camo) except knee pads....sportsmans guide sells the surplus pads designed for the pants

Good ideas guys! Thanks.

I have not tried a pad on the tree. Sounds like something I should consider. I just find that I straddle the tree a decent amount and also move around it occasionally so not sure how it would work.

i visited an army surplus store yesterday, they have camo pads, with a cup at the knee area, but go up and down prolly another 8 in.

Speaking from hundreds of hours with Army knee pad inserts used, I can tell you for certain that the actual foam pads are okay. But I took a pair of Arcterix knee pads cut the straps off and trimmed the sides to fit my uniform pants. The plus side is you get the added plastic knee plate and a lot thicker higher quality foam. Saved my knees for a whole year overseas.
Any hunting pant with a double knee will work you just need to create the pockets by adding velcro to either the top or bottom seam of the knee pockets. That’s it. But if you really want to get sweet pants customized use the Crye precision knee pads and build their pockets. Not hard, added them to about a half dozen of my old uniform pants. IMO they are the best light weight knee pads out there.

Sometimes I use a pair of football gurdles with the knee pads already in place and they are perfect cause they stay in place because they are tight fitting then just put your camo over them and you are set!!!!

Back