• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Cut-Down Tethrd ONE Stick for Single Sticking

ccbutler3

I bought a 3 pack of Tethrd One sticks a about two weeks ago for a ludicrous price with the intention of using only one for cutting down the stick for one-sticking. THP’s video showing Carl of Tethrd’s cut down stick made me hungry for something that compact and light.

First, I cut 6.5” off of my ONE stick. This length fits perfect right on my hip mounted to my saddle without poking me and getting in the way while walking.

I then used a plumbing pipe cutter (used on copper commonly) that rolls around the pipe and cuts as you screw the blade down further and further. You can get them at Home Depot. Next, I stuck the section of the stick that I wanted to separate the step from in the freezer for a few hours. I pulled it out of the fridge, and began heating the black step with a blow torch. Once very hot I took a punch and punched out the roll pin (used locking pliers to pull it out once free). Next I heated the titanium and step until the chemical epoxy bond failed and was able to pull the step off.

I then used steel reinforced JB Weld Epoxy to put the step back on to the shortened stick (lightly sanded both surfaces first) and remounted and punched the roll pin back in place with a nice coat of epoxy on that too for piece of mind. I also safety wired both roll pins securely in place in case they ever come loose so they won’t fall out. I tucked the pig tails through the center of the roll pin.

I then installed a 12” single-stick wire handle from EWO, and have two end caps for the titanium stick tube that will be installed with the top one drilled out for the wire handle to feed through (not installed yet).

G3D Tethrd One Rope Tamer and also have a Amsteel triple step aider (16” spacing) being made by the Amsteel guy on the way.

For anyone attempting this, know the risks as usual of DIYing anything that you will be climbing with. Take your time, be thorough and you should be fine. Obviously Tethrd does not want you to do this but I don’t listen too well!
891e2fc46195c579ef78468bb9871b0f.jpg

1d9f0940cfc210d397fd79134b7e688b.jpg

49e5c2c42eda44d9372f9a81634320f6.jpg

964498d29237a2846489fe3eed71354e.jpg

a33b59dcdee503c18dae8093f0da8c71.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering how long it would take someone to do this after I saw Carl’s shortened stick. Your mod looks great. I’m sure we’ll all be watching to see how well it holds up.

I didn’t see a weight for the finished setup. Just curious if you had weighed it. Looks like an interesting and good option for someone who one-sticks and uses a separate platform.

I was wondering how long it would take someone to do this after I saw Carl’s shortened stick. Your mod looks great. I’m sure we’ll all be watching to see how well it holds up.

I didn’t see a weight for the finished setup. Just curious if you had weighed it. Looks like an interesting and good option for someone who one-sticks and uses a separate platform.

Thanks CharlieTN! It’s always a little scary modding something perfectly new but I’m thrilled with the outcome.

I will get it weighed for you by the end of the day for a full post-build specs.

I did do tests with it mounted on a tree low basically slightly jumping, putting all my weight into both the bottom and top step to test for security and it’s rock-solid so far. I have no idea what epoxy Tethrd used, but when I removed the step, only about two 1/4” circular strips of epoxy were holding the step on (minus the roll pin). You could tell because that’s all the surface area that was sanded in the inside part of the step.

I sanded the entire inside surface area of the step, as well as the titanium section it would be mounted to and even cross-hatched scratches with a razor blade for better holding power in the same areas. JB Weld Steel Reinforced Epoxy has a 5,020 psi holding strength and is the highest I kind of/ could find so I would imagine it’s stronger then the epoxy they used.

Works really well. I run it with 2-3 squirrel steps on an OCB strap on the tree whilst using the top step as a step as well once I’m hunting which works well for me.

The real question here is what are you doing with the other two sticks

Tim0712 - I actually have both of them listed individually on EBay - there are 2ish hours left on the sticks currently! It’s bidding format. I couldn’t list them on here because I don’t have the privileges/ I’m too new or else you guys would’ve gotten dibs.

Very cool; did you have to weigh it in milligrams after this?

philsanchez76 - I will get them weighed today at the end of the day and will list it’s weight for you if that works. Obviously already added stealth strips, G3D Tamer and the EWO Wire Handle so that will add weight but shouldn’t be too crazy.

Man I just searched eBay to check out prices. They are up there with safeguards in terms of crazy.

Man I just searched eBay to check out prices. They are up there with safeguards in terms of crazy.

iamcorey- I completely agree… I couldn’t believe what Safeguards were going for when I listed them - glad it I picked it up last year! I feel like the economy is one of scarcity and shortages for in-demand products. One should consider stockpiling scarce items and reselling them! Lol

I paid a ridiculous price for a pack of 3 ONE sticks on AT with the intention of only needing one which sucked.. But the way I saw it was I could build an EWO Ultimate One Stick for relatively the same ballpark price which would be heavier than I needed by a good margin and since I’m a ring of steps guy would find no use for a larger top platform… or what I wanted to do here after I recouped my initial cost from selling the other two off. Honestly I’m glad I but the bullet and did it because this thing is awesome and fits on the hip like it was made for me!

Thanks CharlieTN! It’s always a little scary modding something perfectly new but I’m thrilled with the outcome.

I will get it weighed for you by the end of the day for a full post-build specs.

I did do tests with it mounted on a tree low basically slightly jumping, putting all my weight into both the bottom and top step to test for security and it’s rock-solid so far. I have no idea what epoxy Tethrd used, but when I removed the step, only about two 1/4” circular strips of epoxy were holding the step on (minus the roll pin). You could tell because that’s all the surface area that was sanded in the inside part of the step.

I sanded the entire inside surface area of the step, as well as the titanium section it would be mounted to and even cross-hatched scratches with a razor blade for better holding power in the same areas. JB Weld Steel Reinforced Epoxy has a 5,020 psi holding strength and is the highest I kind of/ could find so I would imagine it’s stronger then the epoxy they used.

Works really well. I run it with 2-3 squirrel steps on an OCB strap on the tree whilst using the top step as a step as well once I’m hunting which works well for me.

Gotta love that JB Weld. I always keep some around and use it often.

Silly question.....did u not try to knock out the roll pin while it was all still cold?

Weldabeast - I knocked it out while it was cold, just with the black step heated slightly. I’m sure it would’ve knocked out fine all cold but figured I’d try and get the step heated to maybe expand a tad. Probably didn’t do anything, but made sense in my mind at the time. Lol

Okay… so a couple months ago I hacked 6” off a gen3 one stick. Used a pipe cutter to cut 6” off the bottom. Pressed the pin out and beat the plug out. Drilled a new hole for the rollpin. Rolled the edge of the tube very slightly and beat the plug back in. Added another containment button to have them on both steps as a safeguard to prevent the rollpin from walking out. I did this on all my one sticks for piece of mind. Holding up just fine. No wobble. The stick with my 2 step ultimaider and stealth stripped weighs 1lb 6oz. I plan on making an aider from 3/4” webbing when I get around to it. For now this works just fine.

Weldabeast - I knocked it out while it was cold, just with the black step heated slightly. I’m sure it would’ve knocked out fine all cold but figured I’d try and get the step heated to maybe expand a tad. Probably didn’t do anything, but made sense in my mind at the time. Lol

I guess I kinda forgot about this 1......in the original post u said u got the step "real hot"......I'm not sure ur definition of "real hot" but u can easily change the temper if u indeed get it "real hot"......I'd stick to freezing if the roll pin is that stubborn......but based on the pics and the fact the anodizing looks pretty normal I'd say u ok.

U can turn a " T6" temper into a "T, u done messed up" fairly easily.....baluminum cracky real easy when u start heating stuff

Back