• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Deer Cart

Patriot

Anybody got any plans, pics or videos of a simple yet effective deer cart? I literally gave myself a darned hernia this year dragging my buck out. haha. Season ended December 15th and I went under the knife on December 18th :tearsofjoy:

Anybody got any plans, pics or videos of a simple yet effective deer cart? I literally gave myself a darned hernia this year dragging my buck out. haha. Season ended December 15th and I went under the knife on December 18th :tearsofjoy:

Just pack em out and save yourself the effort and hernias

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless u got axle and tires already it's better to buy 1 IMO.....50-60 bucks for the 1 I got from academy sports.

whoa no way! I’ll look for that right now. I haven’t found one for less than about 120

Unless u got axle and tires already it's better to buy 1 IMO.....50-60 bucks for the 1 I got from academy sports.

Have you used yours yet, did you like it?

here’s the link to the one I think you are talking about which is a heck of a deal.

Have you used yours yet, did you like it?

here’s the link to the one I think you are talking about which is a heck of a deal.

I've had that 1 for 3 years....it has pulled out a deer and 3 hogs.....honestly I use it around the house for other things more than hunting. Some of the tubes are dented a little but it never given me.any issues. I just grease the axle once or twice and it good to go

I've had that 1 for 3 years....it has pulled out a deer and 3 hogs.....honestly I use it around the house for other things more than hunting. Some of the tubes are dented a little but it never given me.any issues. I just grease the axle once or twice and it good to go

5e5589bdc945fe90835ff518b36ed62f.jpg

It’s hard to beat that Academy cart.. love mine, going to be rigging up an attachment for my mnt bike before this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bought the Hawk Crawler. Hate it. Looks cool on the videos, but its a PIA to pull through the woods. I just drag and pack now.

I keep one of these in my truck with a ratchet strap. Makes a great low price deer cart I'm my opinion. I did replace the tires with foam filled.

Just pull it behind me

If I was going to build a diy cart I would make this kind of design...

View attachment 29160
I built one like that many years ago for use on Michigan's North Manitou Island. It's national park land and limited draw hunts. They only allow a single wheeled cart and you have to bring the carcass out with you. That thing was so unstable it was almost more work than it was worth. I got home from the trip and immediately took it apart so I'd never be tempted to use it again.:tearsofjoy:

I built one like that many years ago for use on Michigan's North Manitou Island. It's national park land and limited draw hunts. They only allow a single wheeled cart and you have to bring the carcass out with you. That thing was so unstable it was almost more work than it was worth. I got home from the trip and immediately took it apart so I'd never be tempted to use it again.:tearsofjoy:
Single or double wheeled stuff can be tricky with balance points....think of a heavily loaded trailer with no tongue weight.....

The 2 wheeled academy cart can be unstable if the load isn't on there correctly

Load center will affect the felt weight also....if u set it up correct you significantly reduce the load on your body but if set to far back directly over the axle makes for less load felt in the handle but will have highest rolling resistance.....set it up were 30-40% of the load felt in the handle and 60-70% on the axle would be optimal I would think....

There a lot more to it than slapping it together and hoping.....gotta do some R&D

Bought this for 20 dollars off craigslist. Works great with 2

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200616-225039_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200616-225039_Gallery.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 201
  • Screenshot_20200616-225030_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200616-225030_Gallery.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 198
Single or double wheeled stuff can be tricky with balance points....think of a heavily loaded trailer with no tongue weight.....

The 2 wheeled academy cart can be unstable if the load isn't on there correctly

Load center will affect the felt weight also....if u set it up correct you significantly reduce the load on your body but if set to far back directly over the axle makes for less load felt in the handle but will have highest rolling resistance.....set it up were 30-40% of the load felt in the handle and 60-70% on the axle would be optimal I would think....

There a lot more to it than slapping it together and hoping.....gotta do some R&D
I agree whole heartedly and don't deny mine was slapped together, one of the reasons it was immediately disassembled. I think part of the issue was the terrain out on the island. I've been out there for two separate week long hunts several years apart. I feel like I can't remember ever taking a step downhill. :tearsofjoy:

If I was going to build a diy cart I would make this kind of design...

View attachment 29160
I built one like that. The only problem is, you're carrying half the weight of the deer and depending on the deer you shoot, it gets real heavy fast. If you're shooting deer that won't get heavy on the cart, just put it in your back pack and hike out with it.:D
You're better off getting a cart that carries the deer over the axle so the axle carries all of the deer and all you have to do is pull it.

Back