• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Drey & Repairing My Bad Designs

4090Sharps

SH Member
When I first saw the Dryad Drey, like a lot of you, I was super confused. Fast forward a couple months, and even though I had never laid hands on a Drey, I knew I needed one to pair with my ring of steps. So, I ordered myself a couple different weights of Ripstop Nylon, let them sit age on my shelf for a month (and a half) like proper DIY guy, then got to work.

Materials:
  • 2yd 1.55oz Multicam Ripstop Nylon (Ripstop By The Roll)
  • Multicam Cordura (eBay)
  • Australpin and Raptor Buckles (Amazon?)
  • 7/64" Amsteel* (RSBTR)
  • 1.5" Grosgrain Ribbon (RSBTR)
  • 2" Nylon Webbing (Jontay?)
  • 1.75" & 1" Heavy Duty Nylon Webbing (Country Brook Design)
  • 3/16" & 1/4" Amsteel (Eastern Woods Outdoors)
  • Zippers, grosgrain, etc (Rocky Woods, WTFIdea)

Machines:
  • Juki 1541S - General sewing
  • Juki 1900 clone - Bartacks
  • Consew 332R - Ripstop hemming
  • Cowboy CB3200** - Binding
* Amsteel larger than 7/64" will provide a better safety margin if you're planning on using this without the tether on your D-link belt--I never intend to detach from the D-link tether.
** The CB3200 is a leather machine and overkill for most things, but I inherited it, and fitted it up with a synchronized binder. It makes life really nice.

Construction of the Drey was fairly straightforward. I first compared the 1.9 oz and 1.55 oz Ripstop Nylon I had ordered, and decided that due to sound and packability, the 1.55 oz would be the hero of the day. The 2 yards of 1.9 oz was squared off, and the edges were bound with 3/4" milspec grosgrain to make a sweet ground cloth to use when quartering deer.

IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2157.JPG

After making the ground cloth, I got back on track. I set up my machines to sew with some Tex 138 bonded polyster thread, and make up a belt and leg straps (still need to make some slide on pads). Next, I squared off and cut a couple (2-4"?) off either side of my 1.55 oz Ripstop, in addition to a little off the bottom. I'd have to measure to tell you how much, in the end, I used the measurements of my body when in a sitting position to roughly determine proper dimensions.

Then, I hemmed all the edges, and attached the first ~1/2 of the grosgrain on all four corners. Then I folded the sides of the grosgrain over with the Ripstop to create a roughly 2.5" overlap and channel. Next the continuous length Amsteel loops are run through and girth hitched to the channels (big thanks to @Dwhit for sending me some pictures). I opted to used 1" grosgrain to create loops for attaching the long back support prusiks, instead of sewing in the cord. I folded each side of the grosgrain in toward the center to create a 1/2" wide ribbon with rounded edges, then sewed them down to the 1.5" grosgrain with heavy stitching so they don't go anywhere. These loops will allow me to easily change my cord length or material later on (just used 550 cord for now).

I won't bore you with the Amsteel procedures which have been covered really well on YouTube and elsewhere on this forum.

Next, I started a quick pouch, smaller than the original Drey's. At this point I realized I had made the first of two stupid mistakes--I attached my bridge and prusiks to the hammock without finding its center for attaching a pouch... So, I disassembled it, found center, and continued. I carefully laid out the hammock on the pouch panel, double-checked that I had oriented everything correctly, sewed them together, then panicked! I had sewn the inside of the panel to the wrong side of the hammock!..... After about 15 seconds of disgust and horror, I realized I had in fact done everything properly.

Moving on, I twisted myself into mental knots trying to figure out which way I needed to orient the zipper on my pouch so that the zipper came to my righthand side when everything was closed up.... Sewing inside out is taxing on my simple mind. In the end, I chose properly, sewed it all up, and flipped it inside out. Success, I'll attach it to my belt! Enter error number 2--while I made more than enough room to clear the 1.75" webbing on my belt loops, I made them about 1/8" too short to clear the smaller male buckle. I hung my head in shame, and ripped the seams of the folded tail of the belt, attached the pouch, and rushed outside to test out my new system.

Conclusion: This thing is super comfortable, and I cannot wait to take it hunting.

IMG_2208.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

Attachments

• 1635819672020.png
    1635819672020.png
    799 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I promised a repair...

After carrying my DIY Kifaru Duplex Lite frame for a year, I decided it was time for some repairs and upgrades. When I made the frame, I had never seen one in person, so everything I did was a best guess with some help from @LeanMachine. I made a mistake in the belt by using a single layer of fabric in the pocket holding the frame. This mostly isn't an issue, but at the junction between the frame and hip belt, I saw some material wear. It would serve me well to just make a whole new belt at this point, but time is short right now, so I'll just do a hasty repair by reinforcing with some 2" webbing.

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2213.jpg

Finally, after @Western VA Hunter let me borrow his Duplex Lite frame, I figured out how best to shape stays for my pack (used carbon fiber arrows this past year), and how to improve the next belt I make. Here's the curve I came up with after bending some aluminum stock. I still need to make a better lumbar pad, but this one isn't bad with 65-70lb in it.

IMG_2211.jpg

Send me your address, I'll have Amazon ship the materials directly to your door. :) I just need the retro kit, I'll do the heavy lifting and find my own belt.:tearsofjoy:

How did you like the 1.55 ounce multicam? I have been looking at that numerous times and even talked with an employee there about it. I really like Schoeller fabric.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Great job! Could you please post or send me the pics you used for making the channels for the girth hitch amsteel loops. more pics of it in general.
I am planning on making one soon.
TIA

Great job! Could you please post or send me the pics you used for making the channels for the girth hitch amsteel loops. more pics of it in general.
TIA
It is most likely just a hammock channel. Look at hammock forums for ideas.

You can roll a 1-2 inch triple hem for a channel. You then either run the Amsteel through that or you can use a hammock girth hitch. I think both of these are shown in the ultimate ultralight saddle thread.

How did you like the 1.55 ounce multicam? I have been looking at that numerous times and even talked with an employee there about it. I really like Schoeller fabric.

Overall, no complaints.

It was quieter than the next weight up, although some coyote brown material of the same weight might have the slightest (negligible) edge for sound. Packs up easily, and seems like it should hold up alright. Of course, it's 1.55 ounce ripstop, so it can be a bit finnicky to work with. I was really happy with how it fed in my needle feed machine.

TIA

Hopefully this helps some. I hemmed the edge of the ripstop, 3/8" I think. Then, I took a 28" length of 1.5" wide grosgrain, and sewed a little over half of it down onto the ripstop. Next, I folded the entire side of the ripstop over to create a ~2.5" channel, and sewed the hemmed side of the ripstop down the entire length of the hammock. Finally, I sewed down the remaining ~12" of grosgrain.

Screenshot 2021-11-03 202411.jpg

Hopefully this helps some. I hemmed the edge of the ripstop, 3/8" I think. Then, I took a 28" length of 1.5" wide grosgrain, and sewed a little over half of it down onto the ripstop. Next, I folded the entire side of the ripstop over to create a ~2.5" channel, and sewed the hemmed side of the ripstop down the entire length of the hammock. Finally, I sewed down the remaining ~12" of grosgrain.

View attachment 56261

I just ordered some ripstop to make myself one of these. You mentioned the 138 thread for the belt. What size thread did you use for sewing the ripstop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just ordered some ripstop to make myself one of these. You mentioned the 138 thread for the belt. What size thread did you use for sewing the ripstop?

When I was solely sewing on ripstop, I used Tera 80. Otherwise, I think I used Tera 40.

When I was solely sewing on ripstop, I used Tera 80. Otherwise, I think I used Tera 40.

Thank you. When I get my ripstop I’ll have to see whether one of my compound feeds or my 20U will work better on it.

Back