• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Electric Heated Clothing

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
This idea has crossed my mind several times and with all the thread injector types on here I figured that I would start a thread to kick ideas around.

Basically, I have a lot of Milwaukee products, including power supplies for batteries, but no heated clothing. I want to purchase a heated piece and rob all the electronics from it and sew into a better suited hunting garment. I’m imagining something light weight, layer-able, and not cotton.

I have done zero research on this. Has anyone else had this idea? Are heating elements/controls available to purchase somewhere?

Last edited:
I'd be down to attempt some diy. Just tried some amazon heated insoles which were worthless. Even tried them indoors and it was just barely warm to the touch. Photo on Amazon has them covered in flames haha. Just saying I've been less than impressed with economical options, and would rather not spend +$300 to get a quality setup if a little sweat and beers can get it done. Look forward to the discussion.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

I happened upon this website. I wonder if this is a good element to try?

I'm interested in this also. I am wanting a vest that could potentially get hooked to a USB power pack. I've been tempted to buy a cheap one just to try or steal the heating pads from to make my own.

I would be happy with heating coils sewn into either a tight almost compression type shirt or just a mesh shirt to position them where I want within my clothing system.

I would be happy with heating coils sewn into either a tight almost compression type shirt or just a mesh shirt to position them where I want within my clothing system.

Check this out @Wirrex

Why not? For 20$ you could get a power pack and one of these to add to your own clothes

Interesting website, did you check the prices? $16,00 USD? They get confused? Comma vs. Period?

Check this out @Wirrex

Why not? For 20$ you could get a power pack and one of these to add to your own clothes

Interesting find! I would love to have the ability to easily control each element individually. Say I want to do one heated pocket for my release hand or a heated hand muff!

I've been doing a lot of research on this lately due to living in WI and trying to avoid carrying all that bulk into the woods. Thinking of going this route as it seems the cheapest and most simple option. Granted if you already have 12v batteries, save yourself some bucks.

1. USB Power Source (Battery Dock) - $34.40
2. M12 Batteries and Charger - $39.99
3. 5.5mm 12v plug - $3.95
4. Heated Car Seat Cushion - $26.76

So for around $100, I can have everything I need to create my own DIY heater suit. I plan on ripping the heating elements out of the seat cusions and placing them onto a par of thermals that would be worn over my base later. I've also thought about possibly using a stadium blanket/portable 12v heating blanket, sew it up as a thermal suit in a way.

I know everyone here loves DIY, but I have to admit this title made me laugh. I pictured something Tim Allen might put together on Home Improvement. Make sure you test this at ground level...with a fire extinguisher nearby. :p

I happened upon this website. I wonder if this is a good element to try?

I was reading out their tutorial and it seems like with the carbon tape, the longer it is, the more amps that are needed to heat it. Thinking it would drain a 12v battery in no time depending on how much was used. Not to mention all need the other elements to get it to work.

I like this. We rarely get below the 30s down here. Lowest I've ever hunted is upper teens.

My browning hells canyon parka gets me through 90% of our cold weather. Being able to add a battery and heating element to it would mean I could grab that one article kf clothing, and use it for everything. Stand alone windbreaker and rain shell for cool days, add the insulation liner to it when it gets cold, and turn on the battery when it hits frigid.

Like the idea of diy but if you have milwaukee batteries why not just use their heated vest over your base layers?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Like the idea of diy but if you have milwaukee batteries why not just use their heated vest over your base layers?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Well, for me, the Milwaukee sweater costs like what $120 and then I have to buy the battery(s), charger and dock. Way more expensive than a DIY approach (for me anyways). Also the sweater only heats the upper body where as a DIY approach could heat both, such as the method I am thinking of going.

I'm curious about this also. Look up Carbon heated tape and diy carbon heated clothing. Looked into it last year but never pursued it due to availability. Might need to look into it again and see if it's economical and available.

I'm curious about this also. Look up Carbon heated tape and diy carbon heated clothing. Looked into it last year but never pursued it due to availability. Might need to look into it again and see if it's economical and available.

14 left in stock of 17ft strips on prime. I predict they’ll last through the week as the saddle zombies flock on over! 3-5 weeks if you order normally.

I know everyone here loves DIY, but I have to admit this title made me laugh. I pictured something Tim Allen might put together on Home Improvement. Make sure you test this at ground level...with a fire extinguisher nearby. :p
Beware the rain!

Back