• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Fourth Arrow Run and Gun Base

bowhunter15

Vendor Rep
I took the idea of the new Run and Gun style base from Fourth Arrow and put my own spin on it. Basically, I swapped out everything steel for aluminum. The plates, I machined from 7075 aluminum. I swapped the carriage bolts for 1/2"-13 aluminum threaded rod, and the steel tubing spacers for 6061 aluminum ones. I even used aluminum hex nuts with nylon inserts. The only steel was the #6-32 bolt and washer holding the base to the top of the shoulder. The result was a base/shoulder combo that's half the weight of the commercial one. I don't claim that it's as strong as the one they sell. In fact, I can almost guarantee that it isn't, but initial testing says it should be plenty strong enough for my camera setup. There's no slop or wiggle at all. Having support on the top and bottom of the shoulder is a big upgrade.
087cafbd7bb49ff65bcef266d2e65541.jpg
8799e74370bb413ff2be94e818e8c8c0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Awesome how much weight did you save?

Edit I see it now about half. That’s awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I love their shoulder design, but can we do something smaller and lighter??

Awesome how much weight did you save?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saved about 13.5 ounces off what my setup was before, which was just the standard base and shoulder. The run and gun is a little heavier with the added components, so it's a roughly 2.5 pound difference compared to it.

I love their shoulder design, but can we do something smaller and lighter??
Out on a limb makes this one which also uses a ball vice. Their bracket weighs 3 pounds 6 ounces.

787c7b806e94b1d7989afef861b2d3a4.jpg

Last edited:
Back