• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY: heavily adjustable climbing harness with highly rated lineman's loops, desc. after pics

Title is deceptive, I didn't DIY the WHOLE harness :) Just the lineman's loops!

I finally found a harness I'm really happy with, and thought I'd share in case it helps others. Warning: I don't have a saddle yet, but will likely use this with a sit drag.

That is a Metolius Patriot 1 which is made for the military.

This is a safetech harness so the gear loops are rated for 1,000 lbf break strength. I've heard of others discussing clipping their lanyard to the gear loops, well it works well.

The stock gear loops are dyneema/nylon and sewed into the belt. Well, 1,000 lbf didn't seem quite high enough for life support.

So, I got 25 cm Metolius dyneema/nylon slings (black and white on one side and yellow/white on another, didn't get to pick color) and girth hitched them around the belt in line with the existing gear loops. Those slings are rated for 4,950 lbf (good enough!). So, if the gear loop fails, they back me up.

I betted they would match up, and I lucked out. The girth hitched sling is the exact right size to match the gear loop. I then did a paracord wrap joining the gear loops and the girth hitched dyneema slings so that 1. they would stay together and I would always clip into both and 2. the wrap keeps the loops open for the 'biner. The stitched part of the sling lies vertical along the belt really well and isn't involved with the loop at all.

I chose this harness among the other safetech metolius' because this one is the most adjustable (28 to 40 inch waist and crazy leg adjustment) to handle any clothing, and like all metolius harness you can adjust the rise (leg loop to belt distance) so your harness isn't cutting into you with certain layers. You could save money by getting another safetech because I'm sure the same technique would work (saw one on sierra trading post for $60 brand new).

The belay loops in front are doubled and I just tie into both at the same time for a safety tether (pic at link below is old version with only 1 belay loop).

relevant links

I've used this 5 times this year and it works really well. The only mechanical downside is that the loops are right at the love handles and so aren't the easiest to clip into compared to loops upfront. If someone had trouble with flexibility it might not work, but most will be fine (I always turn and make damn sure I'm clipping into the loop). It is extremely comfortable to lean back into because your back is supported by the entire back of the belt which is nearly 3" wide.

Another downside is price, but given how much money I spend on my other gear, I really don't miss the cash and feel it was well worth it and I feel VERY safe knowing that I sewed/cut nothing and my modification was adding an extremely strong sling. It is an off label use however.

Last edited:
Thank you for writing this. It is a tremendous help. I just ordered this harness and have been preparing for how to handle to the lineman loop situation. Thanks again!

Thank you for writing this. It is a tremendous help. I just ordered this harness and have been preparing for how to handle to the lineman loop situation. Thanks again!

I'm really glad that it helped.

It's pricey, but it is an amazing harness. They had to dig it out for me because hardly any civilians buy them, they said (they usually sell them as part of contracts to military and SWAT).

Please be sure not to just trust the loops as is. They are rated, but only to 1,000 lbs (which isn't enough for me). The addition of those extra slings really beefs the thing up. This solution is better for me than the webbing across the back solution you've probably seen (to add lineman's loops to any harness) because you don't have 1 inch of webbing cutting into you but rather that nice wide waist belt. It's extremely comfortable to use with a linemans.

Chime back in and let me know what you think once done.

Last edited:

FYI...if you are planning to do the paracord wrap to join the gear loops to the open slings...simple stacked overhand knots work well.

It's how I tie in nock points on my bow string.

In case you aren't familiar, an overhand is just half a square knot. Do it on one side and then the opposite and back and forth and you'll create a stack of these across the loops. I then ended with a square knot, melted the tag ends carefully not to put heat anywhere else on the harness/slings, and the touch that square knot with a little superglue (just enough to lock that last square knot together so it will have to be cut off if i ever want to remove the paracord wrap).

Awesome, thanks! I do plan on getting the open-loop slings and wrapping them. I'll let you know how it goes!!

that sling link i posted is now dead

here's a new one

metolius stuff is all top notch

the new slings i just linked are dynamic (stretch slightly), which should not matter too much since strength is still high and it won't stretch hardly at all when you lean back

any loop sling of around 25 cm should work though

i have the static version of this

the big loop is great to girth hitch through front belay loops of the harness and then you can clip onto any of the loops that work for you as far as length

The sling I got is Sterling 6.8mm HollowBlock2 19”. Picture attached. I just got my slings in the mail and decided to do a prusik instead of girth hitch, but it may be a bit overkill. So is the main load on the gear loops?

Attachments

• F9B2DD45-CA49-4051-AA3B-FBF871A05D8F.jpeg
    F9B2DD45-CA49-4051-AA3B-FBF871A05D8F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
I also just was trying another method where I just tied a prusik to the belt with two wraps so the main load would be on the sling. The harness belt curls a little under load, but it’s not uncomfortable.

Attachments

• 8CB7C31A-F1F2-422B-AD5E-EA41FC15CEF4.jpeg
    8CB7C31A-F1F2-422B-AD5E-EA41FC15CEF4.jpeg
    708.8 KB · Views: 22
I also just was trying another method where I just tied a prusik to the belt with two wraps so the main load would be on the sling. The harness belt curls a little under load, but it’s not uncomfortable.

I think as long as you clip into both then you are fine. If there is a bit of slack, if one ever gives then you'll move back a little bit (might be scary).

The gear loops are rated for 1,000 lbs, so leaning against them should be okay, but you are also trusting those stitches and that gear loop is thin....that's why I would never trust it alone.

Just the loop you have girth hitched will probably be fine also. I just like redundancy. Unless you take a fall, you're only putting half or so of your weight on it.

Last edited:
Back