• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY hybrid?

DanielB89

So, I was watching a few youtube videos on the JX3 hybrid and one guy took the back off of his so he could hunt out of it with his recurve. This got my wheels turning..

Has anyone made something similar to this that only serves as a seat? I'm thinking like a summit climbing stand seat. It would be used in conjunction WITH a harness, like back in the SD/RCH days..

Anyone know of anything like this? Again, it would only be used at hunting height, and it would NOT be your source of safety..

Pretty much what the old treesuit was. It was quite comfortable, though the hookup took a little getting used to. Once you had it down it was great. I hunted with my recurve out of it no problem.

do you know where I could see one?

I have a modified tree suit that I use to hunt out of with my self bows. It is very comfortable and I still use it even though I bought a JX3 this year. I modified it so it hooks up with a bridge and tether. I have Bern using a tree suit since 2003. I like it so much I bought a second one from here last year.

Does it have something that maintains contact with the tree? That has my wheels a turning!
yes, the seat sticks out between your legs with a hump.

A fellow forum member put this together for me when I first got mine a couple years ago

Does it have something that maintains contact with the tree? That has my wheels a turning!
The front part of the seat sits against the tree. You are definitely closer to the tree with the tree suit but I find it very comfortable.

I made one similar, kinda like a hybrid between this and the jx3 out of a turkey seat!!

I tried using a turkey chair, but got thigh pinch from the bridge.
Try putting a piece of plywood on the seat part thats what I did on mine and it works fine, but mine unzips so you can take the cushions out if you want!!

Here is my tree suit that I have had since 2003 and what it looks like after modifications. I recently added a new belt with lineman’s loops (from EWO). 00267585-80C9-4FB9-BACE-0AB1C7E549A9.jpeg71A5BD0D-36C1-4C00-9ED4-F7D184E7B94B.jpeg

How often do you sit with the suit resting on the tree? What platform do you use? What's the biggest tree you've hunted comfortably in?
I hunt almost entirely sitting with the suit resting on the tree. I hunt with a ring of steps. I almost always hunt in trees that are 12 to 18 inch diameter. As I get to the top of that range, it can start to get a bit uncomfortable as my flexibility has diminished over the years.

I hunted a long time from a stock tree suit but I have much better mobility in the tree since I modified it.

Back