• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Hydrodipping?

coosa1

Anyone ever camo dipped their own gun? I'm looking into ordering a DIY dip kit to do my turkey gun with and was wondering if anyone has had any experience/pointers with them.

Anyone ever camo dipped their own gun? I'm looking into ordering a DIY dip kit to do my turkey gun with and was wondering if anyone has had any experience/pointers with them.
I did a bow. Gun should be much easier.

One I did a few years ago

Attachments

• 31B2DF63-03A8-4FFD-9ECC-DC68BA98560E.jpeg
    31B2DF63-03A8-4FFD-9ECC-DC68BA98560E.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 61
I tried 3X on my bow a couple years back, then decided to Cerekote it after the last attempt.

If you are pretty handy in general, its pretty straight forward. Otherwise it is very possible to get crap results because there is a bit of an art to it. Watch some videos. Ive done 2 bows and some random small objects. Bows are quite tedious if you do them right and fully disassemble them.
c9fe6fae92781804fed495f2d54e77ca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If you are pretty handy in general, its pretty straight forward. Otherwise it is very possible to get crap results because there is a bit of an art to it. Watch some videos. Ive done 2 bows and some random small objects. Bows are quite tedious if you do them right and fully disassemble them.

What bow? All I see is some shafts and fletching.... nice job!

Yea and thats not a staged photo. I just lowered my bow out of the stand and when i climbed down i was like holy crap. Asat is a very effective pattern. Its just butt ugly on broad surfaces.

@LeanMachine What all prep work did you do on your bows? Sanding priming ect? I haven't even thought about doing a bow yet but now that I see yours I may have to give it a go if my gun turns out ok.

You are one crafty SOB. Is there anything you can't fabricate yourself.

You are one crafty SOB. Is there anything you can't fabricate yourself.
Ha! Thanks. I am only limited by tools and time. I approach life with the mindset of a quote i once heard. "What one man can do, so can another." Oh and im super cheap so that is a great motivator.

@LeanMachine What all prep work did you do on your bows? Sanding priming ect? I haven't even thought about doing a bow yet but now that I see yours I may have to give it a go if my gun turns out ok.
Disassemble, clean and maybe lightly scuff the surfaces, parts are already painted so need to prime so just apply appropriate base color, dip, and then clear coat.

This is pretty much the best way to explain hydro-dipping. :tearsofjoy:

I did my AR-15 and it's super easy. I'd suggest practicing on something first, disassembling as much as possible and dip each part individually. Rolling the part on the floating film while submerging seemed to get better coverage too without stretching the film and distorting the image. A basecoat/scuffing is usually needed for proper adhesion. Buy a kit and everything is included with instructions. I got mine here: https://www.mydipkit.com/

Last edited:
I tried my bow a couple years back, 3 try’s and I gave up and just Cerakote painted it. I was able to get one side good, but couldn’t get the other side done. The actual process isn’t bad though.

Back