• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Diy meat grinder?

nature tamer

Any of you genius DIY guys convert a manual meat grinder to motorized? I have been using a cheap electric grinder for the last couple years, and I want to upgrade. What thinking about buying a new #22 hand crank grinder and putting a motor on it. Or is there a good electric meat grinder that you would recommend?

If you or the missus already have a KitchenAid mixer, they make a decent grinder for it. Just throwing it out there. I like mine because it's cheap, and easy to pack away the 360 days a year I'm not grinding meat. Works well enough for my needs. I've ground a small herd with it.

That’s good to hear. You have the metal one right? I will have to pick one up.

My mom runs a cooking school / retail store and has been through quite a few different meat grinders. She will only sell the STX Turboforce. It has treated me fairly well but I have only used it for one season. We had a 6 deer butcher session at the end of the season.

That’s good to hear. You have the metal one right? I will have to pick one up.
Did a quick Google search. Mines the $30 plastic model. Only difference between it and the more expensive model appears to be the feeding tray, which is kinda a low-importance part. All the other parts look identical. The blades and the grinder hole plates definitely are anyway.

I’ve seen my in-laws use an electric drill bit adapter on a impact drill and a meat grinder. Seemed to work pretty good.

I bought a cheap one from cabelas. Was on sale for $100 and got $20 off $100 and then had some cabelas bucks for it for $50 after all was said in done. Has done two deer/yr for the last two years. Seems to be holding up well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I got a #32 Kitchener with the flywheel. Think I paid $49 for it. Got a 1/2 hp electric motor off of Craigslist and picked up a belt. I probably have $100 into it and it goes through everything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I got a #32 Kitchener with the flywheel. Think I paid $49 for it. Got a 1/2 hp electric motor off of Craigslist and picked up a belt. I probably have $100 into it and it goes through everything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
That is the route I'm thinking I should go. If you have pics handy I'd be interested in that set up.

Any of you genius DIY guys convert a manual meat grinder to motorized? I have been using a cheap electric grinder for the last couple years, and I want to upgrade. What thinking about buying a new #22 hand crank grinder and putting a motor on it. Or is there a good electric meat grinder that you would recommend?

+1, I’ve had good luck with our KA grinder

I've got a 1 horse Cabelas that I've had for a lot of years that I have run many, many deer and hogs through and it works flawlessly but I've also got a #32 manual that I put an old Craftsman lathe motor on and grind chum for my saltwater fishing and it will eat whole mullet, pogies, or anything else I can stuff down it's throat. It's a cheap way to have a really powerful grinder.
If you plan on grinding quanities of meat, a large steel motorized grinder is the only way to go.

Last edited:
My mom runs a cooking school / retail store and has been through quite a few different meat grinders. She will only sell the STX Turboforce. It has treated me fairly well but I have only used it for one season. We had a 6 deer butcher session at the end of the season.
Just looked the turboforce up. It looks like a really good grinder for the money. It has a bigger motor than some of these "pro series" from like Weston and cabelas. I think I might try that one first. Thanks!

I’ll throw another vote out for the Kitchenaide attachment grinder. We have ground quite a bit of meat with jt, but what we really ground with it last year was peppers.... we ground a couple hundred pounds of peppers with it for hot sauce last year. Absolutely no complaints with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just looked the turboforce up. It looksT like a really good grinder for the money. It has a bigger motor than some of these "pro series" from like Weston and cabelas. I think I might try that one first. Thanks!

They have burned up the motors on every other one they have tried. She also says it's extremely light weight for the quality/power it puts out.

I can't speak for today's Cabelas grinders but i'm sure my twenty year old one has ground, stuffed and cubed thousands of pounds of meat, and seems as powerful today as the day I bought it. Read reviews, buy a quality outfit and it will last you a long, long time. I'm a natural cheapskate and I've tried to skimp and "get by" too many times with less than desirable results.

Kitchen aid mixer grinder attachment had it for ages and my grandparents still have their original one. Works great and made well.

This is the machine I’d recommend as well. We’ve been through quite a few and this grinder holds up very well. Also check out craigslist and the other marketplaces. I picked up one of these for under 40$ and it was only used a for one deer said the seller. We have a couple of these in our group after buying and using other machines that stripped gears after a couple seasons. Also unlike most of the other grinders on the market you can order replacement gears if you ever did strip one on the etc. We however haven’t been able to burn one yet and one of the grinders has at least 5 seasons and lots of deer through it.

Back