• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY ozone scent tote...ozone generator choices

GBlevins92

I know this has been some other threads but I was curious from the guys who have bought ozone generators from amazon to make your own scent tote did you use the cordless ones or ones you plug in the wall, I’m on the fence between the two, the battery powered is tempting that way I can use it anywhere but my main concern was what kind of battery life they had....... @BassBoysLLP you seem to be the ozone guru maybe you have some input on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both a plug in and an ozonics. Plug in works great in a scent tote and way cheaper than commercial offerings. Plug in models generally have timer programs that are very helpful. Field generator will work for this but you will pay a lot more. They run for several hours on a charge. You shouldn't run that long continuously in a scent tote so it will work just fine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have two of these :Oxy Elim-A-Scent Magnum, one plugs into my truck and stays there throughout the season. The other is in my dressing room plugged into the wall. I never get winded. The only problem is they are no longer available. Buckcountry bought them. But if you could find one used you can't go wrong. There is no fan, to wearout and you can take it apart to clean the element in it.

I am not super concerned with preventing deer from smelling me, but I do like to wash clothing as little as possible. Would setting up an ozone tote work to keep me smelling fresh and clean a little longer between washes?

I am not super concerned with preventing deer from smelling me, but I do like to wash clothing as little as possible. Would setting up an ozone tote work to keep me smelling fresh and clean a little longer between washes?

I’m a newbie to ozone but from what I’ve read and understand from others it will take out the odors left in your cloths after a hunt and pretty much can be substituted for washing in scent free detergent in between hunts, which is why I’m interested I’m the guy that washes everything between hunts as much as possible and it’s exhausting this seems like a better way.

I only wash outer wear when i feel i have sweated enough to wet it. Early season i wash clothes about every week. When temps stay below 50 i only wash long under wear.

I bought a ozone e generator from amazon A2Z Aqua-6. It was about 80 bucks. Its a plugin model. We plan on hanging our clothes in the closet in our hunting camp when we return from our hunts and running it about a half hr. after each hunt. I had it sent to work and we all took turns putting the generator stone in our workboots to test it out. Man some of the stinkiest feet work at my place. Sonofabitch that thing works great. We tested it on all our workboots and after a half hr of running the generator everyones boots were a fresh pleasant scent. I'm a believer in the ozone scent killer, just not enough to cary a portable ozone generator up into the tree with me. I got enough to carry now.

Last edited:
The one i use looks identical to the Whitetail'R ozonegen from amazon. I leave my gear in the truck and turn it on overnight. Kills odor on everything.

Another ozone question, I know that ozone is terrible on rubber but I’ve read some where only natural rubbers, my boots are solid EVA are they ozone safe or is it too risky still.

I have noticed over years of use it cracks muck boots and some waist bands on long johns a nd underwear. The strange thing is it’s not all long johns for example first lite are fine but other brands look like no elastic left.

Another ozone question, I know that ozone is terrible on rubber but I’ve read some where only natural rubbers, my boots are solid EVA are they ozone safe or is it too risky still.

Not an exact answer to your question but I have ruined a few pairs of boots using ozone. I stopped using it on my boots. Now I dry them immediately and put granular coconut carbon in them after drying. It is pretty amazing how that stuff sucks the smell out of them.

Not an exact answer to your question but I have ruined a few pairs of boots using ozone. I stopped using it on my boots. Now I dry them immediately and put granular coconut carbon in them after drying. It is pretty amazing how that stuff sucks the smell out of them.

Sorry to steer off ozone for a sec, but Red, do you find the granular coconut activated charcoal to be less messy than the powder? I think the powder works great but man is it messy....

I have the same concerns using ozone inside my nice new shiny truck. Anyone notice any issues using it inside a vehicle?

Sorry to steer off ozone for a sec, but Red, do you find the granular coconut activated charcoal to be less messy than the powder? I think the powder works great but man is it messy....
Haven't used the powder. The granular stuff is still a little messy because it has some powder residue in it though. If I dump it out of my boot and stick my foot in and walk around my white sock will pick up a gray color from the powder.

What are the safety hazards of breathing activated carbon dust? I know cutting carbon arrows I had a former EMT tell me the dust was bad news. Is activated carbon the same way?

Sorry (not sorry) to veer back to the topic of the first message, but just yesterday I found G2's video about a DIY ozone tote from more than a year ago (
). He had used/linked to this ozone generator: http://a.co/12HTw1B He described it as around $30, but it's "Currently Not Available" on Amazon.

A year later, viewing the video & comments, it looks like that's not the best ozone generator/system to use - because just dropping stuff in a tote doesn't let them circulate air (gas), etc. But he left in for 2 1/2 hours or so and found it made a recognizable if incomplete difference.

I noticed yesterday that THIS one (related, new version): http://a.co/1XdG3zZ is currently $19.99 and there's a $5 off coupon. For $15, I don't mind getting one that's sort of "meh, moderate" in performance for very occasional use in a closet, car, etc.

Thought I'd share.

Back