• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Platform (2.5lbs w/strap)

Ghilie

Long time lurker. Thank you to everyone who has inspired all of my DIY ideas over the years, hopefully I can give back with this post and inspire someone else! Disclaimer - Don't criticize the welds too badly, I've been welding for a grand total of 2 weeks now!

20190915_145812_resized (1).jpg20190915_145804_resized.jpg20190915_145816_resized.jpg
This platform is a cut down and welded older lone wolf hand climber. A modified hawk helium strap and tethrd buckle was my idea to replace the grossly outdated and over weight cam buckle. A 12" piece of 1.25" 6061 square tubing with .75" holes drilled 1.5" apart was used. Lastly a hawk helium tree bracket was used. With the strap this platform comes in just over 2.5lbs.

I have several ideas for reducing weight in the future. Making my own tree bracket and welding it to the square tubing would certainly save some weight. The same could be said for the "versa button", welding a piece of aluminum rod directly to the square tubing would reduce weight by eliminating excess hardware. Lastly, I plan to fabricate a platform from scratch during the off season with a sub 2lb goal. However today is the opener and it's time to hunt!

That looks pretty awesome to me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Long time lurker. Thank you to everyone who has inspired all of my DIY ideas over the years, hopefully I can give back with this post and inspire someone else! Disclaimer - Don't criticize the welds too badly, I've been welding for a grand total of 2 weeks now!

View attachment 16700View attachment 16701View attachment 16702
This platform is a cut down and welded older lone wolf hand climber. A modified hawk helium strap and tethrd buckle was my idea to replace the grossly outdated and over weight cam buckle. A 12" piece of 1.25" 6061 square tubing with .75" holes drilled 1.5" apart was used. Lastly a hawk helium tree bracket was used. With the strap this platform comes in just over 2.5lbs.

I have several ideas for reducing weight in the future. Making my own tree bracket and welding it to the square tubing would certainly save some weight. The same could be said for the "versa button", welding a piece of aluminum rod directly to the square tubing would reduce weight by eliminating excess hardware. Lastly, I plan to fabricate a platform from scratch during the off season with a sub 2lb goal. However today is the opener and it's time to hunt!

Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 16700View attachment 16701View attachment 16702

Very nice

Very nice! What did you come up with for leveling?

I'm going to drill and tap the support piece for the square tubing. Same method as the predator. I just wanted to get out and hunt after working on this for so long! There is a lot of unseen trial and error that took place making this...

I highly doubt that that buckle will survive long term and is likely to snap. I assume you already stood on this platform and the buckle held? I would not expect that to last, especially if somehow it receives a shock load. The other reason is that I don't trust that buckle to stay tight.

I highly doubt that that buckle will survive long term and is likely to snap. I assume you already stood on this platform and the buckle held? I would not expect that to last, especially if somehow it receives a shock load. The other reason is that I don't trust that buckle to stay tight.

I thought the buckle might be the Achilles heel as I'm not sure what they are rated for. I have bounced up and down and jumped on and off the platform during testing, albeit I'm only 160lbs with no gear. No plastic deformation yet. I'll always be tethered to the tree, if it breaks, I'll be fine and look for something to beef it up.

However, the buckle stays extremely tight and cams the platform better than when I tested it with a cam buckle.

Yes. That buckle is not designed for the kind of loads that will be placed on the platform. It looks dangerous to me.
The platform looks nice.

I thought the buckle might be the Achilles heel as I'm not sure what they are rated for. I have bounced up and down and jumped on and off the platform during testing, albeit I'm only 160lbs with no gear. No plastic deformation yet. I'll always be tethered to the tree, if it breaks, I'll be fine and look for something to beef it up.

However, the buckle stays extremely tight and cams the platform better than when I tested it with a cam buckle.

Let me rewind and say the platform itself is sexy as heck.

The Tethrd T-Hooks are beefier than the typical G-Hooks you can buy on Amazon, but I am sure they are not good for this application. I bent a G-hook experimenting with loading one with my weight.

Has anyone tried the buckless method on a platform like this? Works good on sticks, though I am preferring daisy chains right now. You might look at straps only or daisy chains.

Yes. That buckle is not designed for the kind of loads that will be placed on the platform. It looks dangerous to me.
The platform looks nice.

I understand that it is not the intended design of the buckle and it likely is the fail point. I'm being safe about it and only stepping on and off the platform while still tethered. However, to push innovation someone has to try something to get away from that dreaded (for me) cam buckle.

I love the idea of using an amsteel rope mod, but the platform just isn't solid that way. I'd be open to any other ideas you guys have!

Let me rewind and say the platform itself is sexy as heck.

The Tethrd T-Hooks are beefier than the typical G-Hooks you can buy on Amazon, but I am sure they are not good for this application. I bent a G-hook experimenting with loading one with my weight.

Has anyone tried the buckless method on a platform like this? Works good on sticks, though I am preferring daisy chains right now. You might look at straps only or daisy chains.

Thanks! No worries man, the criticism is totally warranted and welcome. I have been having this same debate with myself long before posting this, regarding the integrity of that hook.

Could you link me some "buckless" ideas? I'm not too familiar with them.

Here is the buckless method on sticks. I haven't seen or heard of this done for a platform. Incidentally rewatching this made me realize I was tying it wrong. Dag nabbit!

I've since switched to daisy chain webbing, which has been used for platforms (Tethrd Predator with Versatrap)

I like both of those ideas! Thanks man. I'll give them a shot tonight and report back.

Great job on the platform, it looks great! The T hook... I'm with the other guys on it, there are far better options. I would personally go with daisy chain webbing like versa straps.

Welding cast aluminum is super sketchy long and short term FYI. I'm mostly a lurker on here but I can't help but offer professional advice on this.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back