• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Diy platform idea

Weldabeast

SH Member
I don't have a sewing machine so I'm throwing this idea out there for anybody who wants to take it on.....what if you sew a very heavy duty fabric into the shape of a platform that would be a big wedge shape. Image a doorstop wedge with the point facing up the tree and the flat part against the tree and the fat wedge would be your foot spot. Like a 3d outer cloth shape you would stuff a trashbag into then fill with expanding foam. The foam would expand to fill the negative space inside the heavy duty cloth encasing it. Have strap sewn on like molle loops for the ocb or ratchet straps to attach the wedge ridged sack to the tree. What do you guys think....

I don't have any expert advice on this, but I totally get what you're saying (as far as concept). I say it's worth a shot!

Cool idea, I think it would compliment a platform well, but without a platform it would be a lot of leverage on the straps. It would probably be good with a lightweight wood frame inside to bear the load. Hmmmmmmmmmm... you just got my old thinker a thinkin!

Nice idea. Sure would be comfy.
This is a high fiddle factor thought, but you could carry it flat, strap to a tree and inflate with a co2 bottle with small regulator.

I'm just thinking a heavy duty specially shaped sack you strap to the tree. If I bunch up a regular old pillow and strap it tight enough I could stand on it

Or maybe better yet.....6'' diameter fabric cylinder stuffed full of something on a strap....sausage tree belt

Like this just made of fabric instead of exhaust tubing

Last edited:
Im not sure how well the expanding foam would tolerat the weight. But there are mulitple kinds. But with the right foam it could work. Seems bulky to carry but also very light so could easily be attached to outside of pack.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ok...hard to describe, but I'll try.
Sewing together a panel with sleeves for 6 pool noodles that are cut 24'' to fit very snug into. Heavy canvas that has some traction to it....like a drop cloth. 2 straps off the panel to attach to the tree. With the correct spacing of fabric between the noodle sleeves it will allow the whole panel to flexible. Now depending in how you rolled it/configure it to the tree you can change the shape of the platform. The straps would squish it all tight to give it rigidity

IMG_20200204_124638_7.jpg

Also found a test subject for the wedge idea

IMG_20200204_123525_9.jpg
IMG_20200204_123547_2.jpg

Are you trying to match the angle of the lean when you're hanging so the ankles are in a more natural position? Your idea had me thinking. This isn't exactly what you're going for but but it would serve a dual purpose as a tree seat if needed. Make the support straps longer, weight rated, etc. so you could extend them to whatever angle you wanted, the back part would strap to the tree and be used as a knee pad. With an aluminum/carbon fiber frame in the seat or standing portion you could add some rigidity. Pretty sure the stadium seat would have to have some sort of frame so it wouldnt fold up on itself where your idea would work without a frame. https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Stadium-Seat/dp/B07GPJ7XTB

Last edited:
my first post on here i posted a sketch of this kind of shape for a platform. the angle has to be more comfortable. i think this is going to be the norm soon after enough people try it. im working on one right now too out of aluminum and 2x4's to test out. the ooal shikar stick/platform is the first commercially available option for this i have seen

Are you trying to match the angle of the lean when you're hanging so the ankles are in a more natural position? Your idea had me thinking. This isn't exactly what you're going for but but it would serve a dual purpose as a tree seat if needed. Make the support straps longer, weight rated, etc. so you could extend them to whatever angle you wanted, the back part would strap to the tree and be used as a knee pad. With an aluminum/carbon fiber frame in the seat or standing portion you could add some rigidity. Pretty sure the stadium seat would have to have some sort of frame so it wouldnt fold up on itself where your idea would work without a frame. https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Stadium-Seat/dp/B07GPJ7XTB
Here is what I currently use.....I am just trying to get away from metal all together

Here is what I currently use.....I am just trying to get away from metal all together
Yeah, I'm with ya. It would be a lot less clunky. I switched to the ameristeps ros and an aluminum angle top step on my stick. The soft platform would be a great idea. Some guys have made stirrups I'm sure you've seen already. Filling that bag with the canned expansion foam should make it hard enough to stand on or an air bladder if you're looking to deflate it. Good luck! I'll be following this post.

Last edited:
Or maybe better yet.....6'' diameter fabric cylinder stuffed full of something on a strap....sausage tree belt

Like this just made of fabric instead of exhaust tubing

When my ROS are all on sets and I want to jump in another tree, I use 3” Pvc street 45 elbows roughed up with a saw so they dont squeak on the tree bark or ratchet strap

Back