• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY platform version 2.0

slonstdy

SH Member
Here is the next generation diy platform that I am testing out. Similar in shape as the original, I focused on shortening the distance of the outer edge from the tree to reduce the effects of leverage against the legs and adding "foot holds" to help with mobility and aid in stabilizing myself while shooting.

I first strapped it to the tree 1 stick high, tethered myself in and moved around on it to check for design flaws and build up my confidence in the "minimalist" design. I did get what I thought was the platform flexing but it was stretch from the wet strap I was using. It held up to my satisfaction and more so after removing it and conducting a thorough visual inspection. Next stop 22'...

This go round I made sure to lock the stand in real tight to the tree, no need to ruin a pair of boxers and climb down all messy because of a loose strap! Once tethered in I moved around on the edges pushing side to side checking for movement/flexing. After 10 minutes or so and confidence building it was time to hoist up the bow for some real testing.

The stand felt great, stable at every angle of force I gave it. The "foothold" tabs I incorporated really gave me the solid footing I was looking for while also making moving around easier and the more open platform allowed me to place a heel or toe in there to lock me in while shooting. This platform will be my go to platform for the hunting season (or until version 3.0 arrives).

As you can see I didn't put gussets or a brace between the legs as I did on the first stand with the reason being since I shortened the legs there should be less leveraging forces applied. The best part is the weight, or should I say lack thereof . . . 1.38lbs or 22ozs! I have gussets already cut as a just in case and they would add under 4ozs to the total heft if I decide to add them. Think I can reduce weight further . . .? You can see the size difference between the original and 2.0 in the pics.

Attachments

• 20190902_135637.jpg
    20190902_135637.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 20190902_135711.jpg
    20190902_135711.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 20190902_135720.jpg
    20190902_135720.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 197
  • 20190902_183337.jpg
    20190902_183337.jpg
    626.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 20190902_193941.jpg
    20190902_193941.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 191
My one concern would be slipping and bouncing back into that stand and being impaled. Make sure and round those off for sure - potential for some blood and gore. Can't beat that weight though, wow, and looks great otherwise.

Looks good!! I realize you weren't up there long, but any chance that the bar stock will cause pressure points on your feet since your weight isn't as distributed? Also any thought to flattening/straightening the outer portion so your feet aren't as turned in while leaning? Lastly what about squaring up the sides a bit. Not completely so there is still something to push against but a bit more to give your toes room while standing?

Just curious questions from someone wondering if they anyone who can weld aluminum and may want....borrow....your design ideas.

What strap are using?

So it looks like you used 1/4 x 1.1/4 flat bar? You could use 1/8 x 1.1/4 angle and double your area your standing on.
Looks fantastic BTW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like hearing the critiques guys keep'em coming. It keeps me on my toes and brings up issues I may not have thought about. It's easy to weld it up, the design and "engineering" aspect is a lot tougher than you would think.

The ends of the flat stock jutting out may look intimidating but there isn't a chance of being impaled. The platform is smaller than the pics show, I'll post some pics of my feet on it and you can see what I mean. If I did somehow land on one of them it would bruise me no doubt but no more so than if I were to hit an edge on any other stand. Metal, whether it's aluminum or steel, will always leave a mark when the human body slams into it.

I thought about keeping the front edge straight across but my logic for why I decided to go the "angled" route was that for any shot requiring me to move to one side I would have as close to a perpendicular angle of my feet/legs to the platform which should help with stabilizing myself and lessen the chance of my foot slipping sideways along the edge. I hope that makes sense. That is also the reason why those extensions are jutting out at the middle and corners of the front edge, to brace my foot and apply side pressure to lock myself in. The same goes for the sides, if I made them square to the front edge and moved to the side of the tree I would exert more force parallel to the side which increases the chance of a slip as opposed to angling them which places the force more perpendicular to the stand. Let me put it another way... lets use a square platform for simplicity with the tree at 12 o'clock. If you only place your legs perpendicular to the platform your body would be at the 3 , 6 or 9 o'clock positions. Now if you keep your feet at 3 BUT you swing your body to 3 o'clock ON THE TREE the forces and direction applied to the platform have changed. The angle of your legs in relation to the platform would be less than 90 degrees and your feet would have a greater chance of sliding towards 6 o'clock and off the platform. You follow that logic?? Had to rewrite this a few times to get it to sound right, lol.

I used 1" wide by 1/4" thick flat stock and a 1"strap and ocb buckle to secure it to the tree.
I'm a leaner so I rarely stand on a platform fully, usually just to adjust my saddle or remove a wedgie. :tonguewink:

I like the design. Think i would add short gussets but i can see that your going kinda minimalist

I did wind up adding the gussets for peace of mind and they serve a purpose other than added strength. They help to keep my strap from slipping off the stand while it's hanging from my saddle. I'll post pics later.

Back