• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY PLATFORMS

Michael4925092

Seeing how I cannot find a decent platform that does not have a six-week lead time. What is everyone using for their DIY platforms? Something about the size of a hang on treestand seat. I'm not sure which seats work best is the reason I am asking or if there is another option besides a seat to use. Also I only weigh about 165 lb so I do not think weight will be an issue as far as what the platform can handle.

Last edited:
Can get ring of steps or a wild edge step they work in a pinch a scout or artisan platform will work treesteand platform works just flip the seat. Check classifieds as all these methods pop on here regularly

Has anyone tried the hawk helium Apex platform? It kind of looks like the Predator platform but I cannot find any reviews or videos on it

Everything has a long lead time right now. Try to watch the classified section.
You can go to Eastern woods and outdoors to find all the post components
From there you would have to weld up a seat, find a lone wolf seat, find a scooter foot rest for a platform

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How well does this handle side or back pressure
I added a video to the post above so you could see general movement. I think it handles side pressure OK. I normally use a smaller platform but you wanted info on bigger.
I normally use the aluminum one in this video.

Love my Klemz platform. Someone had one in the classifieds the other day.
c80ad25c03ce551e2b3e171304ca332b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have seen these platforms and I like them but cannot see spending $300. Hoping the price on them comes down soon

Left is solo scout and right is one I cobbled together because I dont like the angle and size on the scout.

I cut up an old steel hangon stand and used a few pieces of scrap metal laying around. So far I like the homemade better. More foot room and less angle. Little heavier but far more comfort for me. Would like to use aluminum but don't have the resources to weld aluminum yet
01042663f2b1a0f3d0a1de31fbb0f60c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Left is solo scout and right is one I cobbled together because I dont like the angle and size on the scout.

I cut up an old steel hangon stand and used a few pieces of scrap metal laying around. So far I like the homemade better. More foot room and less angle. Little heavier but far more comfort for me. Would like to use aluminum but don't have the resources to weld aluminum yet
01042663f2b1a0f3d0a1de31fbb0f60c.jpg

If only the scout was that size. Looks good.

Kenn1320,

Thanks I plan on doing another in aluminum soon as I can get access to a spool gun

Kenn1320,

Thanks I plan on doing another in aluminum soon as I can get access to a spool gun

Lol same here. Ive got a 120v Miller mig with argon. Spool gun would be awesome. Tig would be nice, I just don't do aluminum enough to justify the cost.

If you have access to a welder and have an old hang on stand it is very easy to make a platform. I can take pictures and/or give "specs" for my original platform I made using a seat from a stand.

If no donor stand is available you can find the materials at just about any hardware store. Its much cheaper of you can find the stuff laying around. Places around me seem awfully proud of their terrible steel selection

Back