• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY plywood platform V2

MettBriler

I'm sure everyone has seen or tried the primal step and plywood combo platform, I'm using one as well, I had a bunch of 3/4 ply leftover from that platform and decided to make a cam over platform for grins and giggles.

3/4 plywood cut to 12"x9"
Cheap crappy climbing stick cut to 12 inches
All the hardware is 5/16 grade 8, and used 90 degree strut brackets in the electrical section as they were the thickest brackets I could find at Home Depot.
If I do it over I'll just buy the 1.5" angle steel so it's a little cheaper.

Only played with it at ground level, it seems solid with a little flex when I apply full body weight to it, biggest improvement will come with standoffs with teeth in them.

Watch out I made a platform for my w/e step out of plywood. It broke on me. Make sure you are tethered in before stepping on it please. I only went about 3inches and smacked the tree but could have been worse if I had not been tethered in before being on it. Mine broke after my 6-7th hunt on it. No signs just broke as I was standing there. Just telling you to make sure you are aware of it and are safely attached to the tree.

Watch out I made a platform for my w/e step out of plywood. It broke on me. Make sure you are tethered in before stepping on it please. I only went about 3inches and smacked the tree but could have been worse if I had not been tethered in before being on it. Mine broke after my 6-7th hunt on it. No signs just broke as I was standing there. Just telling you to make sure you are aware of it and are safely attached to the tree.
I made a wild edge step out of plywood before this and used it on several sets without any issue, but yeah I'm always tethered to the tree before stepping on my platform

I made a wild edge step out of plywood before this and used it on several sets without any issue, but yeah I'm always tethered to the tree before stepping on my platform
Made a 2nd version 9inch stick instead of 12, base coat of truck bed liner, sponge paint job on the bottom and a HF pad on top. I'm just waiting on Lone Wolf stick brackets so they can handle side pressure better.

The question is - after a couple of hunting seasons, how did it hold up?

That angle iron stopper will likely bend first time you're on it. Be careful and try it out at ground lever first.
My DIY cam over platform had the angle adjustment bolt denting the body of the stick. I drilled it through and installed a carriage bolt so it leans on the large head. That stabilized it.

Back