• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY plywood platform

ThereWillBeSpuds

Working on a Semi-light weight plywood leaner platform. This is my first prototype.

Kitchen Scale says it weighs 1lb 11oz, its 16 inches wide by 10 inches deep. I made it from 1/2 inch cabinet grade plywood I had left over in my shed. It attaches by camming over.

It needs a little rattle can love and some stealth stripping, but I like where this is going. I haven't had a chance to get in the saddle and jump around on it, because I am nursing a shoulder injury, but it seems pretty solid on the tree to me, both with down pressure and sideloading.20200726_170622.jpg20200726_170022.jpg20200726_170032.jpg20200726_170007 (1).jpg20200726_170632.jpg

That’s pretty cool. Especially how it folds. Do you have to thread the rope through the hole in the plywood every time?

That’s pretty cool. Especially how it folds. Do you have to thread the rope through the hole in the plywood every time?
For now, yes. Thinking about getting some kind hook for it, or just enlarging the hole to make threading it easier. Havent quite pinned down what knot to use on the working end, bowline works, but my one handed bowline skills need major work.

For now, yes. Thinking about getting some kind hook for it, or just enlarging the hole to make threading it easier. Havent quite pinned down what knot to use on the working end, bowline works, but my one handed bowline skills need major work.
I would consider tying a loop in permanently with another 10-12” piece of rope that way you can tie your rope around through the loop instead of the hole in the plywood.

Very neat concept! With wood, I'd worry about the effects of water, such as boots squeaking, wood warping, and feet slipping. I think you could solve those problems with a poly coating and some skateboard tape across the top for grip. Would add negligible weight and cost no more than $10. Just a thought!

Is it always tilted?
Yeah, though I could adjust the level of tilt by retying the double fishermans bend in the grey rope to make it shorter (less tilt) or longer(more tilt). A flat version could be made by making the bottom strut longer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Enlarge ther hole and implement @boyne bowhunter 's timber hitch. Good to go.

Nice....

paddle bit attack would knock some weight off..

I'll be interested to hear how it handles side load after u shoulder heal up... what is the red material that allows the pivot?

Nice....

paddle bit attack would knock some weight off..

I'll be interested to hear how it handles side load after u shoulder heal up... what is the red material that allows the pivot?
The red is just 1" tubular webbing.

I dunno how much lighter I could make it without getting it too flimsey. Under 2lb is pretty satisfying to me.

The fold flat aspect of this is an advantage.
The fold flat is exactly what I was going for too. Just trying to attack it from a different perspective. Love your implementation though.

I was trying to get @always89y welding magic going on something like the sliding sticks below with a sheet of aluminum on the top. Maybe the legs could have slots in them similar to @DanO 's S3 steps.
20200725_182713.jpg
@Weldabeast

For your knot, google "dean Torges Seat". Been using them for years. The knot will not slip and is super simple.
Great ground hunting seat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

For your knot, google "dean Torges Seat". Been using them for years. The knot will not slip and is super simple.
Great ground hunting seat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Do you have a link on how to tie the knot? Im not having luck.

Edit: nvm. Its a slot in the board, not a knot. Decent idea

Last edited:
Back