• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY PROJECT: 2 Sit Drag with D rings

Upatreew/j

So I've been coming to this forum for a few years now and love it. Finally decided to join!

I have 2 sit drags that I am thinking about trying to make into a an Overwatch Transformer type saddle. I have all of the materials (I think) just wondering if anyone has tried or heard of anyone trying this? Still could use some pointers as I am not sure how it might work and don't want to start something if its going to fail.

My current plan is to sew a strap onto the bottom of the bottom sit drag that will connect and be sewn to the tip of the top sit drag. Doing this on both sides with a d ring on each side.

The bottom sit drags loops I would sew into the strap. And the top sit drags loops I would fold in half and sew for lineman loops.

Adding adjustable straps to connect the bottom and top sit drag so they stay together.

My question I guess (as I have never owned a d ring style saddle) would one strap be enough or does a d ring set up need 2 straps per sit drag?

Aby insite or help would be awesome!

Glad to be apart of this cool group!

Two thoughts.....

First - if you have the means to sew everything yourself start with one strap and see how it goes. You could always add a second.

Two - I see the sit drag as an accesory to a RCH, and not an actual saddle. Im not sure you would get the comfort of a Transformer with two sit drags over a RCH - back to the first thought of you can sew, try your hand at making a saddle - tons of info in the DIY section.

Welcome to the forum. I'm with jhunter13 on this one. I have a Sit Drag and used it for a short time backed up by a rock climbing harness to see if I might like a tree saddle. This is customarily how it is done since the maker of the Sit Drag states that it is for ground use only and should not be depended upon for life dependent support in a tree. The Sit Drag offers comfort but the roc climbing harness provides the life support should the Sit Drag fail.

If you are backing up the doubled sit drag by wearing a rock harness it should be safe but that might be a lot of parts to keep straight. Look through the DIY area. There are a lot of good ideas on there. I just got through making my second sling style 2 panel saddle the other day. Search for a thread called the Wraptor. That thread really helped me a lot. It is a 2 panel design based on the Anderson sling. Good luck and be safe.

Back