• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Rope Tamers

Bach55

Hey all you DIYers that are way more creative than me! Anyone come up with a way to tame their ropes similar to the product linked below? Kudos to this guy on his innovation. He’s a fine American entrepreneur I’m sure, but I can’t stomach $15/clip. Looking for the same functionality but at a much more reasonable cost, so I’m hoping there are some ideas or examples out there!

I can’t exactly see what is going on from the pics in your link, but some shock cord and tactical toggles are a cheap, effective way to keep ropes contained and easy to release.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is something I do with my rappel rope I think you could do the same thing on a stick if you wanted. Probably would cost you 10 cents per stick...

Just run the bungee cord directly onto the washer and when the cords are deployed make sure it’s tight enough to stay wrapped on the stick.

I can’t exactly see what is going on from the pics in your link, but some shock cord and tactical toggles are a cheap, effective way to keep ropes contained and easy to release.

Do you have pics of how you use that? Struggling to visualize it.

No pics now. Run the cord through both holes and tie the shock cord in a loop that is smaller than your bundle of rope. Use the toggle as a handle to stretch the loop of cord over your rope and then tuck the toggle under the tightened loop to hold everything tight.

Not really the same, but in a similar fashion that might interest someone; I’m a working climber/ arborist and sometimes I like this 30’ positioning lanyard, I get the vibe that you weirdos call it a “ lineman’s belt”?
It’s a Gecko Toes extension cord holder cut in half. They’re both 11mm Samson Velocity rope different colors, the orange is about 30’ the blue is 16 I think.
DC9C4891-52F8-4974-BDA5-60A938F8CC7D.jpeg8F46F1F5-F948-48F6-8F9A-B8BE29F4F94C.jpeg, it’d probably work for 10mm.

@mtsrunner For the win! Great, simple mod that will make my life much easier. I hate having crap everywhere when I’m climbing. With this, I can have ropes contained right up until I need them and can put them away as I climb down.

Attachments

• D99BD350-E08A-442B-93FF-42AADFFBE992.jpeg
    D99BD350-E08A-442B-93FF-42AADFFBE992.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 62
For my SRT rope, once at height I have a continuous loop that I'll girth hitch around the rope loops once I pull it up and hang it off of my saddle's platform hook. Keeps it out of the way yet easy to redeploy.

Back