• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Saddle Platform

smokeeter

Hello, I'm fairly new to this forum and I thought I'd share a little DIY project I just completed.
I decided to put together a platform for my saddle hunting, I have an older Anderson tree sling that I modified by adding an Amsteel Bridge but I needed a platform so this is what I came up with.
It's made from composite grating ( this one is from a stair tread) 12 in. wide. I cut a section 14 in. long. This tread has some grit impregnated on the top surface which is great for traction, I thought the composite might be warmer on the feet also. I had some aluminum angle and some 1 in. square tubing for the post. I used JB Weld and bolts to secure the aluminum bits together.
The finished product is a little heavier than I wanted ( approx. 4 lbs.) but it is as sturdy as the Rock of Gibraltar. Overall I'm happy with the outcome.
BlCYQj7.jpg

fAmSjtt.jpg

KHjEa2M.jpg

I

x83G3YR.jpg
platform2.jpg

Last edited:
The best deal out there, this was an off cut from a project at our club.
google fibergrate and Grainger carries it.

I didn't want to jump the thread but here's another version of a diy platform that someone really need to manufacture commercially. The OP could also make this from fiber-grate. I have some small pieces of fiber-grate but I'm not sure they are large enough for a platform.
This is an old, tried and proven design, and I know there are others on SH that have used plywood versions of this.
We've made a few dozen of them out of steel grating and they work fantastic but they are very heavy. If Tethrd, Aerohunter, or ?? made them out of cast aluminum like their current platforms it would be a home run.
These stands are easy to hang, rock solid on the tree, they have the ability to change their angle, and best of all, the entire surface of the platform is usable for your feet. there's no vertical bar taking up space.

These are just diy stands, so they don't look purdy like a factory version would look.
KIMG0297.jpg

We've always made various versions of chain attachments, which are weatherproof and rodent proof. They can also be padlocked to the tree to prevent theft.
I did replace the chain with Amsteel and also webbing on a few and it lightens it substantially (but not light enough).
If a commercial manufacturer (Tethrd) cast a nice, neat, pretty cast aluminum version of these I would buy a few in a heartbeat.
But @smokeeter wants to try out this with Fiber-grate I'd love to hear the specs on weight and packability.

One thing we do now that's not shown in the pic is we run a short line from the platform down to the support rod to prevent "trap-door" of the stand. In 30 some years of using these, I've never had one trap door but a safety line would make it bomb proof. I'm using an Amsteel whoopee sling for the safety cord and it's adjustable for leaning trees and it works well.
20190126_130303.jpg

I didn't want to jump the thread but here's another version of a diy platform that someone really need to manufacture commercially. The OP could also make this from fiber-grate. I have some small pieces of fiber-grate but I'm not sure they are large enough for a platform.
This is an old, tried and proven design, and I know there are others on SH that have used plywood versions of this.
We've made a few dozen of them out of steel grating and they work fantastic but they are very heavy. If Tethrd, Aerohunter, or ?? made them out of cast aluminum like their current platforms it would be a home run.
These stands are easy to hang, rock solid on the tree, they have the ability to change their angle, and best of all, the entire surface of the platform is usable for your feet. there's no vertical bar taking up space.

These are just diy stands, so they don't look purdy like a factory version would look.
View attachment 78673

We've always made various versions of chain attachments, which are weatherproof and rodent proof. They can also be padlocked to the tree to prevent theft.
I did replace the chain with Amsteel and also webbing on a few and it lightens it substantially (but not light enough).
If a commercial manufacturer (Tethrd) cast a nice, neat, pretty cast aluminum version of these I would buy a few in a heartbeat.
But @smokeeter wants to try out this with Fiber-grate I'd love to hear the specs on weight and packability.

One thing we do now that's not shown in the pic is we run a short line from the platform down to the support rod to prevent "trap-door" of the stand. In 30 some years of using these, I've never had one trap door but a safety line would make it bomb proof. I'm using an Amsteel whoopee sling for the safety cord and it's adjustable for leaning trees and it works well.
View attachment 78674

Andy Stand, 1940's

Andy Stand, 1940's

Thanks for posting that link. I learned something that I didn't know.
Maybe that link should be on the Little Known History thread.
But IMO, that design would make a superior saddle stand because it eliminates the vertical tube making the entire surface available for feet. I like my Predators but that tube is in the way sometimes.
Now, we just need someone to make a 2 or 3 pound version of these.

But IMO, that design would make a superior saddle stand because it eliminates the vertical tube making the entire surface available for feet. I like my Predators but that tube is in the way sometimes.

Some commercial options don't have a post to work around. Tree-suit. Ridge Runner/RRXl.

The climbing platforms (Lone Wolf HC seat, Tree Lounge climbing aid, Summit, LW climbing tops & bottoms)

But, to this style, specifically, @Bigfoot522 made this one:

A49B76CB-FEF7-49D4-AFC7-347F4C665FB5.jpeg

I used a similarly sized climbing platform some this year, and it is nice real estate imo.

Some commercial options don't have a post to work around. Tree-suit. Ridge Runner/RRXl.

The climbing platforms (Lone Wolf HC seat, Tree Lounge climbing aid, Summit, LW climbing tops & bottoms)

But, to this style, specifically, @Bigfoot522 made this one:

View attachment 78685

I used a similarly sized climbing platform some this year, and it is nice real estate imo.
I know the Treesuit cannot be level adjusted on leaning trees. That's why I don't care for the Treesuit. Mark told me early on that he was working on something that would allow the angle to be adjusted but it hasn't happened...too many issues? IDK
Do any of the others have the ability to adjust the angle?
Were there any threads discissing the @bigfoot622 version?

Its actually happening...!

I know the Treesuit cannot be level adjusted on leaning trees. That's why I don't care for the Treesuit. Mark told me early on that he was working on something that would allow the angle to be adjusted but it hasn't happened...too many issues? IDK
Do any of the others have the ability to adjust the angle?
Were there any threads discissing the @bigfoot622 version?

A few. Here is likely the first.

The Ridge Runner and XL have leveling.

Climbing platforms mostly adjust by cable length. Works well enough.

View attachment 78673

View attachment 78674

this design can probably allow for a lighter stand....on a Predator your body weight has so much unobstructed leverage on the platform and the platform to post support

cables from above, like a regular stand, get in the way, but this doesn't

i guess i just need to learn how to bend and weld aluminum

Any info?
Umm design stage of a full carbon fiber one is nearly complete.....headed to production next year.... I can't post pictures yet because of my NDA with my partner but its a similar concept with more features. Large, yet sub 3 lbs. I'm not trying to hype anything yet. Just matter of fact. CF platforms are being worked on by multiple groups atm so the future is bright!

Umm design stage of a full carbon fiber one is nearly complete.....headed to production next year.... I can't post pictures yet because of my NDA with my partner but its a similar concept with more features. Large, yet sub 3 lbs. I'm not trying to hype anything yet. Just matter of fact. CF platforms are being worked on by multiple groups atm so the future is bright!

Nice!

Like I've written before, I'm looking forward to carbon fiber folks making a saddle platform versus saddle company trying to learn carbon (like coder deciding to make a video game versus video game enthusiast trying to learn to code).

I'm definitely keeping this platform you're designing in the back of my mind regarding future purchase decisions.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but I hope it isn't too large. I think the platform industry makes their standard sized (non saddle platforms) much too large. They end up often too large for for some applications like being tucked into clusters of tree trunks, branches or other cover that we desire so much. IMO, these magnum sized platforms are ridiculous.

Just my opinion, but I hope it isn't too large. I think the platform industry makes their standard sized (non saddle platforms) much too large. They end up often too large for for some applications like being tucked into clusters of tree trunks, branches or other cover that we desire so much. IMO, these magnum sized platforms are ridiculous.
I understand...it sure is hard to please everyone in a single design. I am curious what you would think is perfect vs too large. I know the Predator platform is kinda a standard everyone seems to base their preferences on. The largest current platform is the Ambush... Would you think shallow and wide vs deep and narrow?

Back